WordPress theme: Positive Feeling

Positive Feeling WordPress theme

Every once in a while I feel a sudden need to create a new theme for WordPress. Because it’s so easy and fun. This blog is basically nothing more than an excuse to play around with WP, xhtml and css. The current theme is a three column one with a difference. I’ve put the content column on the left and both the other columns on the right. And no real header or footer, resulting in lots of room for your content. The two sidebars can accomodate long blogrolls / adsense / whatever.

Please download it here.

Please feel free to modify this to fit your needs. I tested it with WP 2.0.3 buy I guess it’ll work on all 2.x versions and probably on 1.5.x as well.

Roy | July 27, 2006 | English,WordPress themes | Comments (40)

1. Hi Roy! Thank you for your great theme. I’ve just started a personal weblog all about me. And yes, I’m using your theme. Great and fresh!

Comment by Rogier — September 29, 2006 @ 12:56 pm

2. There is only one problem. Please take a look at my website. You’ll see a post about my interimship in Portugal. I’ve placed an image with the “align=left”-attribute. The text right next to the image is too close to the picture. When I add a hspace=’10’ to the image-tag it’s all fixed; but, lazy as I am, I prefer fixiing this by using the style sheet. Can you give me a hint? Please mail me or give a reply here…

again… thanks for the theme!

Comment by Rogier — September 29, 2006 @ 1:46 pm

3. Nice theme. I should say, its an impressive work of color matching. I’ve downloaded it, and will try it out on my website. But still i need to change some coloring which might suits my website.

Nice work man. Keep it up.

Comment by david — October 2, 2006 @ 5:59 am

4. Great theme, good layout
    Would you by any chance consider making it with widgets?

Comment by lone — October 3, 2006 @ 7:54 am

5. What are widgets?

Comment by Rogier — October 3, 2006 @ 2:39 pm

6. Wow, comments… I’m not used to getting those on this blog :) I only use this one to release stuff, not really to blog.

@Rogier: Something along the lines of .storycontent img { margin: 0 10px 10px 0; } should do the trick.

@lone: I don’t use widgets myself and have no idea how to implement them, but I encourage anyone to improve on my work and add stuff like that.

Comment by Roy — October 3, 2006 @ 11:32 pm

7. Okay – widgets must wait
    I´m doing a workshop for not-so-computer-skilled people & I would like to use your design as a starting point for them to try their hand at editing design and layout (easier than designing from scratch). I´ve decided not to use WordPress after all (a bit too steep learning curve), but is it all right to use your design for this? Convert it to xhtml/css and let them have their way with it :o)
    regards, Lone

Comment by lone — October 10, 2006 @ 5:53 am

8. Sure, you can use this for anything at all. I love to click the link i’ve added to the right column (under ‘useless’) and see what other people have done with it.

Comment by Roy — October 12, 2006 @ 4:23 am

9. Ok, First off I love this theme!

Now for the problem…

I’m trying to fix a layout issue. I’ve run into the same problem multiple times. I’m trying to integrate a forum package (actualy that hasn’t been the problem as I’ve managed to get 3 different ones runnnig).

If you goto http://www.stablewoodfarmshoa.com/forums/ you’ll get an idea of what I’m running into. The content generated from the plugin is displaying way too low on the page. I’ve tried creating a seperate template page through wp, but am running into the same thing…

Any ideas on where I should look to fix this?

Comment by JetShack — October 23, 2006 @ 8:33 am

10. @JetShack: I see what you mean. In IE the forums bits don’t seem to fit alongside the floating sidebars. It therefore is forced under the sidebars. This happens often when you’re trying to do pixel perfect layouts with floating columns. Perhaps you can make the forum plugin’s output a little less wide through css? Maybe give it a fixed width or remove some padding, especially on the right side? I usually play with this a bit to get rid of the effect.

Comment by Roy — October 23, 2006 @ 10:48 am

11. thanks for pointing me in the right direction… I was sure the problem was with the theme, but that wasn’t the case! Changed the associated CSS for the forum table from 100% to 99% and that fixed it up.

Thanks!

Comment by JetShack — October 23, 2006 @ 12:41 pm

I really love this Word Press theme! I’m relatively new to blogging. I’m creating a blog to chronicle my life and travels in Asia (in Jan 07 I’m moving to Indonesia to pursue cultural photography).

It took me a little time to adjust the theme to a way I prefer (resizing the overall window, moving the comments/date/categories around, etc etc).

One thing I did notice is if I click on a category that only has 1 item, the page for that category will show, but the columns will be uneven (the center one will be long, while the white area and the far right bar will be very short). Any way to make them all the same length to keep a uniform look?

Also, I made the far right bar approx 50px shorter in width, (with the hope to add that 50px to the white area where blog posts are displayed) but I cant get the white areas to expand 50px (keeping the 920px container). I ended up making the container 870px to keep all adjusted.

Any way you can take a quick look at my site to test what I mention above? I am sure you’re a busy guy, but any help u can give is a blessing!

Thanks! — Rodney (www.RodneyOnEarth.com)

Comment by Rodney — November 2, 2006 @ 10:36 am

13. @Rodney: Click the ‘valid xhtml’ link in the sidebar. There are a few errors in your markup. Among other things, you appear to have accidentally removed a closing tag for a div. With that added back in the theme should function normally again.

Comment by Roy — November 2, 2006 @ 10:48 am

14. Thanks for contributing the theme to the community. I love it. I hope you don’t mind, but I changed the header image to something more appropriate for my site. Let me know if this is a problem.

Comment by Jason — November 18, 2006 @ 8:26 am

15. Not a problem at all. I actually encourage anyone to modify my themes. I find it interesting to see what people come up with.

Comment by Roy — November 18, 2006 @ 11:32 am

16. Roy – I’m making the transition from Nucleus to WordPress, and stumbled upon your theme. Really like it. I’m actually happy that it’s not widgetized, as I’m a programmer / tinkerer, and like to play with relatively clean code (which yours certainly is).

I’d be interested in feedback on my implementation of your theme – obviously, a lot has changed, and there’s more to come. However, it’s a great starting point. I haven’t yet completed the transition from my old Nucleus blog (allspinzone.com), but I think you’ll have fun comparing the old and new (allspinzone.com/wp).

Thanks for a great theme…

Comment by Richard Blair — December 2, 2006 @ 5:32 am

17. @Richard: Thanks. I really like your new site and think it’s an improvement over the old design. But then I should, shouldn’t I :) ? Perhaps you should make a new background image to have the fake liquid columns effect again? In the original theme the column background colours were also in the background to make it look like they ran all the way to the bottom. Other than that I think it looks great.

Comment by Roy — December 3, 2006 @ 10:32 am

18. We are very much like this theme and we saw this theme used by webtuneuppros dot com, fine wish to see and we do use this theme for our upcomming blogs.

thanks to theme owner.

Comment by web development — December 22, 2006 @ 6:46 pm

19. Roy, nice theme. I tossed a graphic on it, and away we go :)

Cheers, and Happy New Year :)

Comment by Funny Videos — December 31, 2006 @ 11:51 pm

20. Thanks for the theme ROy.

But, please, we need widgets compability ;) when?

Comment by Al Azif — January 7, 2007 @ 7:45 am

21. Roy!

Any chance of you widgetizing this Theme… I am not equipped to do so!

Many thanks
    Peter

Comment by Peter L. — January 23, 2007 @ 1:27 am

22. I’m working on it but other things like work and my social life are getting in the way… Realistically speaking it might take a while because I want to make sure I do it right and I have to read up on widgets before I attempt to convert my themes.

Comment by Roy — January 23, 2007 @ 1:36 am

fine theme! I`ve got one small problem, since I`m not an php-expert. I`d like to insert the calender into my sidebar (widgetready). My problem: the calendar appears in the sidebar but isn`t centered (it appears lefthanded). How to center it? Apropos: Can you recommend a better looking (modern) calendar?

Thanks a lot
    Klaus

Comment by Klaus — March 13, 2007 @ 3:17 pm

24. Hi Klaus. Everything in the sidebars is align to the left. If you want to you can change that in the style sheet. No PHP needed at all. Perhaps you could even edit the widget and add an element around the calendar that centers it?

Comment by Roy — March 14, 2007 @ 7:16 am

I really like your theme. I tried to install the plugin CG-FlashyTitles but the background gif seems to be in the way. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,

John

Comment by John — May 22, 2007 @ 3:35 pm

26. Hi,

I am trying to use widgets on this theme and they are not working. they show up in wordpress, but the site only uses the ones that are hard coded into the sidebar.php file. I like this theme, but I have spent so much time in the past basically being a widget (doing the widget stuff myself) I have grown to appreciate them too much. Any idea why the widgets aren’t working?

Comment by Another John — October 8, 2007 @ 10:19 am

27. Sorry, that link is not working. I changed it here. thanks.

Comment by Another John — October 8, 2007 @ 10:23 am

28. I love this theme! Thank you so much!

I did get a comment from a visitor asking if there was a way to get the sidebar(s) to load after the content – I have a lot in them and the content has to wait. I’d rather it loaded first. Is that possible? Can I rearrange the main index file or the functions file to do that, or is it necessary for the theme to load right to left?

Comment by Heidi — October 8, 2007 @ 1:53 pm

29. Barring some fix to have the template load columns left to right instead of right to left, is there a simple way to put the post column on the right?

Comment by Heidi — October 20, 2007 @ 5:33 pm

30. Hey, lovely theme, I’m very excited to use it on a new site I’m building. However, ditto the widget-related comments, esp. John’s from Oct 8 — in the Dashboard, it lets me modify widget sidebars, but nothing shows up live. Would love those widget sidebars to work!

Comment by Mark S. Meritt — November 24, 2007 @ 9:28 pm

31. Hello Roy,

I would like to incorporate a header with a photo of the church. Would you please let me know on where I could insert that code, and what the width should be? Thanks!

Comment by gayle — February 26, 2008 @ 12:56 am

32. Hi Gayle,

That would depend on whether you’d want the header to span all three columns or place it in the content column. The total width is 920px, and you could simply add a new div above the content div in the theme’s header.php file.

If you put a 488px image inside the aforementioned content div, it will appear above your posts.

Comment by Roy — February 26, 2008 @ 8:44 am

33. Thanks Roy — I’ll try that :)

Comment by gayle — February 26, 2008 @ 9:40 am

34. We are using Positive Feeling 1.2 and according to Word Press the theme is supposed to accept widgets. However, when I try to add widgets in the presentation back-end they don’t “take.” In other words nothing changes in the sidebar. Are widgets implemented in 1.2 or is that something that is incorrectly stated on the Word Press info?

Thanks,

Comment by Linda — March 25, 2008 @ 7:02 pm

35. There appears to be some sort of bug in this theme’s widget support. It was the first theme I ever created that was meant to support widgets. Somehow it worked with the version of WordPress I used to test it, but it does not anymore. I’ll have to look into this, but this might take a while…

Comment by Roy — March 26, 2008 @ 8:18 am

36. Hi Roy! Thank you very much for your theme. I like it very much and I am using it for my blog in Russian. I have got a problem with rss icon. Where should I download the icon and in what extention – jpg. or png? Help me, please. Thank you beforehand.

Comment by Lina — April 21, 2008 @ 3:30 am

37. Hi Lina, there should be an RSS icon in your wp-includes/images folder. It comes with WordPress…

Comment by Roy — April 21, 2008 @ 7:47 am

I wanted to find out if this theme is compatible w/ WordPress 2.5?

Please confirm. Thanks in advance!

Comment by Cory — May 14, 2008 @ 3:37 am

39. Hi Cory, I have not tried it myself, but my guess is it will work just fine. But because it’s an old theme it does not support things like widgets and tags. I’ve recently decided to focus on developing new themes instead op updating older ones, so you’ll have to add widget support (in there but broken) and tags yourself if you need them.

Comment by Roy — May 14, 2008 @ 8:40 am

40. I absolutely love your theme. I have been using it for 1.5 years.

I would like to know if it is possible to be able to include a larger header.jpg somehow? I would like to include an image that is not square — one that can accommodate a traditionally proportioned photo.

Also, is it possible to remove the comment section so that it doesn’t say ‘Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time’? The reason I would want to do it is that there are some pages which are ‘permanent’ and don’t need the comment window.

Anyway, again, thanks for your theme. It’s great!

Comment by dejiridoo — August 8, 2009 @ 5:14 pm