WordPress theme: Tranquility White

Tranquility white screenshot

It made sense. Most people like pages with white or very light backgrounds. So do I actually. Mostly. That’s why I made a copy of my dark gray ‘Tranquility’ theme and turned the colour scheme upside down.

Tranquility white is available for download here.

Roy | November 1, 2006 | English,WordPress themes | Comments (65)

1. Sorry to be posting here but I didn’t know where else to turn for help. I’m using a template that you had designed “Positive Feelings” and it looks great in Firefox. But in IE, the text seems to be white on white background. Meaning, my post is there but can’t be seen. Hope you can at least suggest where to troubleshoot.

Thanks a million.

Comment by Lian — November 2, 2006 @ 5:19 am

2. Hi Lian. I just emailed you some suggestions. Please note that the ‘Positive feeling” itself validates as XHTML strict. Some of the things you’ve added appear to have markup errors in them causing the theme to behave strangely.

Comment by Roy — November 2, 2006 @ 5:50 am

3. De zwarte is duizend malen mooier imho

Comment by Storm — November 8, 2006 @ 3:35 am

4. Just wanted to thank you for a great theme! Have only started on WordPress today and have already found the theme I can see myself using for a long time to come!

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Comment by Jason Steadman — November 11, 2006 @ 1:21 am

5. Nice job :)

Just a question, can you tell me if you think about an update to allow widgets ?

CU

Phil

Comment by Phil — November 11, 2006 @ 11:12 pm

6. I’m not currently planning to adding widgets to any of my themes. Simply because I don’t know how to. It’s something I will have to look into when I have more time on my hands. I do encourage anyone to modify these themes to fit their need. If someone adds widgets, I hope he or she will release their version.

Comment by Roy — November 11, 2006 @ 11:28 pm

7. this is nice theme – definitely. but it would be better to put div with text over sidebar in html – from SEO side it give real advantage.

Comment by slava — November 12, 2006 @ 9:22 am

8. thanks for this theme.

its something beautiful.

xoxo from argentina.

Comment by axel — November 12, 2006 @ 2:38 pm

9. Awesome theme! Simplicity is a lost art. This theme is just right in plain-ness and eye candies. Bravo! Now If I can just change the color of that flower flash :D

Comment by chiadog — November 14, 2006 @ 10:22 am

10. Like Storm said, the dark version is way better (; Still a good job though!

Another dutchie…

Comment by Robert — November 14, 2006 @ 10:41 am

11. @chiadog: I actually considered making the colour of the flash adjustable through the javascript. I might still do that if I find the time.

Comment by Roy — November 14, 2006 @ 1:55 pm

12. Heel fijne theme, ik gebruik een licht aangepaste versie. Maar is het normaal dat de sidebar wordt ‘herhaald’? Ik heb om mijn site http://www.doworry.org twee keer de hele sidebar onder elkaar. Hoe kan ik dit voorkomen? Alvast dank!

Comment by Hugo — November 18, 2006 @ 4:59 pm

13. O, wat mijn vorige post betreft, nu is het wel weer normaal! Probleem (wat het dan ook was) dus opgelost.

Comment by Hugo — November 18, 2006 @ 5:01 pm

14. Hi, a very beautiful theme but i have a problem about this theme.
    in my blog when i apply this theme, the categories can not be displayed well, it only display “Uncategorized” and other categories can not be seen in my blog.
    I don’t know what happen and i think you may have solution to fix it.
    Thanks U for such a wonderful theme.

Comment by Hasegawa — November 20, 2006 @ 12:47 am

15. @hasegawa: I have no idea what is happening on your site. Did you post in the categories that are hidden? By default WP hides empty categories.

Comment by Roy — November 20, 2006 @ 1:04 am

Zou je toch nog eens even naar mijn site willen kijken, de sidebar wordt telkens herhaald.. heel vreemd.. waardoor het een zooitje wordt.
    Alvast dank!!

Comment by Hugo — November 21, 2006 @ 3:52 pm

17. @Hugo: I can think of no reason for this to happen. Are you getting this with other themes as well?

P.S. Everything looks fine to me now…

Comment by Roy — November 21, 2006 @ 10:45 pm

18. Perfect in simplicity. What a simple nice theme. One of my most favourite theme.

Comment by adhisimon — November 22, 2006 @ 9:00 am

19. Could you make Tranquility obey the wordpress site settings on date format? I had to hack this manually as I’m in Europe and american date format is unacceptable for me.

Comment by Alex — December 2, 2006 @ 10:14 am

20. @Alex: You’re right. I should have done that. I’ll fix that in an update when I find the time. I have to say though that I am also located in Europe and have no problem whatsoever with the American date format. Especially not on blog that are in english.

In the mean time, if you need this to work, simply find the_time in index.php and remove whatever is inbetween the brackets.

Comment by Roy — December 5, 2006 @ 12:01 am

21. Hi,

I modified your tranquility-white theme to make it compatible to widgets. I followed this guide to do it: http://automattic.com/code/widgets/themes/

I tested it just briefly, but it seems to work pretty fine. Whoever wants may download the modified theme here:

Thanks for the beautiful theme, Roy!

calcifer

Comment by calcifer — January 13, 2007 @ 10:47 am

22. Hi

I modified the tranquility-white theme to be compatible with widgets. I used the guide on automattic.com. I tested it just briefly but it seems to work fine. Anyone interested can download the modified theme at http://luna.agrav.org/~mo/tranquility-white-10-widgets.tar.gz

Thanks Roy for that beautiful piece of work.

mo

Comment by calcifer — January 13, 2007 @ 7:19 pm

23. Hi Roy, i want to make my own theme for my blog, but after i found tranquility theme white from you, i just can convince myself to change it, i love it and it is exactly the way i want it to be so, definitively, if you have new releases i definitively would like to get it. thanks for that !!

Comment by fearlex — January 23, 2007 @ 8:51 pm

24. Hey Roy,

Super-theme. Ik heb het een beetje aangepast naar eigen normen, maar toch blijft jouw theme heel herkenbaar.

Een van de beste die ik al ben tegengekomen!

Vriendelijke groeten,
    Bert Mattys

Comment by bert — January 26, 2007 @ 11:12 am

Thumbs up for this great theme! I love it.
    Question if you have a moment: How would I go about removing the following from my site Pages:

“No Comments
    No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.”

I have searched the WordPress Codex but could not find anything solid. The most common way is to remove the call to “comments_template();” in the Pages.php. Tranquility, of course, does not have a Pages.php. I did it to the Main Index anyway, and of course, it pulled the text off of the Pages, and also off of my posts. ;-)

Any suggestions?
    Thanks a bunch!

Comment by Adrian — February 17, 2007 @ 9:34 am

26. Hi Adrian. If you need a seperate pages template you can simply copy the index.php, rename is to page.php and edit out the sections you don’t want.

Comment by Roy — February 17, 2007 @ 7:16 pm

27. Thanks Roy!

It worked like a charm.
    Great job on this theme. It is easily customizable and very attractive.

Kudos;

Comment by Adrian — February 17, 2007 @ 9:14 pm

28. Hiya,

Great theme. Love the simplicity.

Personally, I would like the main column to be a little slimmer, however, just for readability’s sake. Is there a simple way to do this without messing up the layout?

Thanks,
    Matt

Comment by Matt — March 16, 2007 @ 12:51 pm

29. @Matt, you can do this by simply editing a few styles. Look for the following styles and subtract the same number of pixels from each ‘width’ setting:

# rap
    #commentlist
    textarea
    .credit p

That should do the trick.

Comment by Roy — March 16, 2007 @ 12:58 pm

30. Wow. Fast reply! Thanks so much, I’ll give it a shot.

You can’t pay for support that good. :)

Comment by Matt — March 16, 2007 @ 1:16 pm

31. Okay, that worked. So can I bother you with another question?

What if I want a little extra white space between the main column and the right-hand column?

Thanks in advance!

Comment by Matt — March 16, 2007 @ 1:26 pm

32. Hi Matt. the #content style sets the right margin. Increase the 260px setting to create more space, but you will probably need to decrease the width settings for the commentlist, textarea and .credit p by the same amount.

Comment by Roy — March 16, 2007 @ 1:35 pm

33. Roy, thanks for your help on the width issues. Any guidance on how best to add a header image instead of the Flash file and text heading??

Comment by Matt — March 24, 2007 @ 2:00 am

34. Ik ben bezig om mbv van wordpress een website te maken maar ben op het volgende probleem gestuit: als ik een link aanmaak dan verschijnt er automatisch het woord “blogroll” erboven. Tevens springt die link zelf in met een aantal px. Ten eerste wil ik alles net aligned hebben en ten tweede will ik direct onder het kopje links mijn urls hebben ipv van onder links–>blogroll–> url. Hoe los ik dit op? Volgens mij moet ik dit in de code van wordpress zelf zoeken maar ik weet niet waar. Want in de sidebar code van mijn theme staat er niets over. Weet jij een oplossing… Ty Jeroen.

Comment by Jeroen — April 22, 2007 @ 9:40 am

35. Hi.

Thank you for a great style!

I was wondering how I could get the images to “center” in my wordpress blog or give them some verticle and horizontal space. I don’t mind the boarder, but would like to customize image position better.

Also, not that I want to change EVERYTHING in your fine design, but I would like to change some colors for myself. There is a widget enabled on my wordpress called “Jason’s Customciser”. I have tried to use it, but it fails. Is this on purpose?

Thank you so very much Roy!!!

Comment by lisa — April 25, 2007 @ 8:02 pm

36. Hi Lisa. Look up the ‘.storycontent img’ style in the stylesheet and add either ‘text-align: center;’ or any paddings etc you’d like.

I have not tried many widgets and certainly wouldn’t want to exclude any on purpose. I’m new to widgets and have adapted my themes using the guide at automattic.com. I’ll see if I can look into it.

Oh, and you’re absolutely welcome to change anything and everything about the theme. I love seeing what people do with it.

Comment by Roy — April 26, 2007 @ 9:59 am

37. Wonderful template.

Not knowing anything about your template or WP, is it possible to change the color of the text?

If yes, now it’s just a matter of choosing between the white or gray.

Comment by joseph hollak — August 8, 2007 @ 10:40 pm

38. @joseph: You’ll have to edit the css file, but it’s pretty straightforward. Look for the color setting in the body class.

Comment by Roy — August 9, 2007 @ 7:39 am

39. Like everyone else i love this theme and have used it for my personal website.

I appear to have a rendering issue with embedded images. Everything works fine on Firefox and Safari, but in IE i get odd large gaps before the image on the first post.

the first image has been moved down, but all the following posts have the correct layout. Until you select the post and then the image moves down.

When i first set up the site removing the border seemed to resolve the issue, after a re-install the probem remains with or without the border in place.

any suggestions you have will be much appreciated

ollie

Comment by ollie — December 7, 2007 @ 1:26 pm

40. i like this white wordpress theme, thanks for sharing

Comment by vhxn.com — January 14, 2008 @ 11:38 pm

41. Thanks for a beautiful thing, Roy. Is it possible to swap in my own image for your SWF in the template, though?

Many thanks.

Comment by jj — April 15, 2008 @ 5:31 am

42. Hi JJ. Yeah you can replace the flower.swf with any movie you like. It will be embedded at 80×80 pixels though, and the background color will be white. If you want a different sized movie or need to adjust other things you’ll have to edit the SWFObject call in header.php accordingly.

Comment by Roy — April 15, 2008 @ 8:06 am

43. Looks like your brilliant theme is no longer on the official WordPress site.

How do I change the style.css to make the text flow around images?

Comment by Modifoo — September 1, 2008 @ 11:42 am

44. You know, I was completely unaware that wordpress.net had actually stopped offering it’s existing themes for download. I’ll have to put it up myself I guess. I’ll try and do that asap.

One thing I do want to note is that its been a long time since I did these themes. They do not support tags, widgets support is somewhat sketchy, and they’ve not been tested on any version of WordPress higher than 2.0 (if I remember correctly). I find I do not have the time to keep them up to date, and still be able to put new stuff out there.

Comment by Roy — September 1, 2008 @ 12:04 pm

I’ve been using your theme Tranquility White 1.2 for the past few months and there have been a few minor user issues, but i’m slowly figuring them out. One problem I have no idea how to fix is that when I try to go to page 2 of my posts list it gives me an error message “address not found, Firefox can’t find the server blog” This sometimes happens while I am adding images also. Any ideas on what to do?

Comment by Melanie — September 21, 2008 @ 7:50 pm

46. I am hunting for some white themes for my sites and this can be one of many themes to be used. Thank you for providing this cool theme

Comment by naruto — December 11, 2008 @ 3:30 pm

47. Hi all!

As newly registered user i just want to say hello to everyone else who uses this bbs 8-)

Comment by aeronteherrit — December 19, 2008 @ 4:14 am

48. Hy my name is mnorgovudkka
    Im from mongolia
    Buy

Comment by mnorgovudkka — December 29, 2008 @ 3:37 am

49. Hi there,

I have to say that I love your blog design however, I’ve been having some problems viewing it on firefox. Is there something I’m doing wrong?

Comment by Tiffany — January 5, 2009 @ 3:34 am

50. Hi Tiffany. It looks like there’s a markup error or two in your sidebar. Did you copy anything in or edit the sidebar? You can use validator.w3.org to check out the errors, but it looks like a few are my fault as well. I wasn’t quite a s familiar with xhtml when I did this theme, but the missing ul-tag isn’t my doing…

Comment by Roy — January 5, 2009 @ 8:09 pm