UPDATE: I’ve abandoned this project to focus on other things. What you see above is a screenshot of what it used to look like. You can skip the rest of this post.
If you like, you can download my current version 0.6. Download the Flash Message Board plugin
See below for instructions, etc. Please let me know if you install this on your blog, I’d love to see it in action.
The plugin adds a moderation page under ‘Manage’ and an options page under ‘Options’. All screen texts are editable/translatable through the options page.
- Drop the ‘messageboard’ folder into you plugins folder and activate it under WP’s plugins menu.
- On the options page adjust the flash movie dimensions to fit inside your blog’s content area. If you decrease the dimensions after messages have been posted, they might disappear off screen.
- Create a new page or post for the messageboard and type ‘[ MESSAGEBOARD ]’ (without the spaces) anywhere in the body text.
The manage page lets you approve/unapprove messages, as well a permanently delete them. On the options page you can choose whether new messages are displayed by default or only after you approve them.
As I see it there are two basic approaches to moderation:
- Auto-approve new messages and display approved messages only. This will allow you to remove messages without deleting them by setting their status from 1 (approved) to 0 (unapproved) on the manage page.
- Uncheck ‘approve by default’ and display approved messages only. This will allow you to manually approve messages which will then appear online.
Please note that Flash is used to display the messages. Spamming this will have no effect on search engine rankings whatsoever.
- Add option to set default status for new messages (added in 0.4)
- Spam countermeasures?
- The design still needs work
- Correct the form’s TAB behavior (fixed in 0.5)
- User defined maximum number of messages to display (added in 0.5)
- Convert flash embed code to SWFObject (done in 0.6, but with possible double insertion of the SWFObject code into the header)