WordPress plugin: Flash Message Board

Flash Message Board screenshot

UPDATE: I’ve abandoned this project to focus on other things. What you see above is a screenshot of what it used to look like. You can skip the rest of this post.

If you like, you can download my current version 0.6.

Download the Flash Message Board plugin

See below for instructions, etc. Please let me know if you install this on your blog, I’d love to see it in action.

The plugin adds a moderation page under ‘Manage’ and an options page under ‘Options’. All screen texts are editable/translatable through the options page.

Installation

• Drop the ‘messageboard’ folder into you plugins folder and activate it under WP’s plugins menu.
  • On the options page adjust the flash movie dimensions to fit inside your blog’s content area. If you decrease the dimensions after messages have been posted, they might disappear off screen.
  • Create a new page or post for the messageboard and type ‘[ MESSAGEBOARD ]’ (without the spaces) anywhere in the body text.

Moderation

The manage page lets you approve/unapprove messages, as well a permanently delete them. On the options page you can choose whether new messages are displayed by default or only after you approve them.

As I see it there are two basic approaches to moderation:

1. Auto-approve new messages and display approved messages only. This will allow you to remove messages without deleting them by setting their status from 1 (approved) to 0 (unapproved) on the manage page.
  2. Uncheck ‘approve by default’ and display approved messages only. This will allow you to manually approve messages which will then appear online.

Please note that Flash is used to display the messages. Spamming this will have no effect on search engine rankings whatsoever.

Wish/todo list

• Add option to set default status for new messages (added in 0.4)
  • Spam countermeasures?
  • The design still needs work
  • Correct the form’s TAB behavior (fixed in 0.5)
  • User defined maximum number of messages to display (added in 0.5)
  • Convert flash embed code to SWFObject (done in 0.6, but with possible double insertion of the SWFObject code into the header)
Roy | December 21, 2006 | English,WordPress plugins | Comments (13)

Very cool plugin! :)

Rob

Comment by Rob — December 30, 2006 @ 4:27 am

2. Awesome! Btw, I’m using your theme and it’s cool. Thanks.

Comment by safri — January 6, 2007 @ 10:05 am

3. Hoi Roy, interesting plug-in.
    I’ll try it locally.
    Happy 2007.

Comment by Grace Nationville — January 17, 2007 @ 11:37 pm

4. Hi, I love this plugin very much. But I have a problem during edit it in options:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare fmb_install() (previously declared in x:\wp-content\plugins\messageboard\messageboard.php:11) in x:\wp-content\plugins\messageboard\messageboard.php on line 39

Can you help me? Thanks very much.

Comment by Breeze — February 4, 2007 @ 1:42 pm

5. Currently, I can’t offer any kind of support for this plugin. Not only do I not have the time to do so, it’s also still is in the earliest of development stages.

Comment by Roy — February 4, 2007 @ 7:03 pm

6. Roy, did you got any questions,
    issues raised by the fact its a flash based plug-in ?
    from my hi-techi world it seemed everyone have flash installed
    but this of course, is not that case
    i am wondering if this issue came up

Comment by Grace Nationville — February 26, 2007 @ 8:48 pm

7. Hi Grace,

Nobody has contacted me about it being Flash no. I feel that this kind of stuff is what Flash excels at. I almost never use it to create entire websites. I’d love to be able to do things like this in dhtml/ajax, but currently I can’t.

Something like 97% of users have Flash player 7 or better, for which I usually still develop. That stats for this blog show absolutely no users without version 7+.

Comment by Roy — February 27, 2007 @ 9:01 am

8. Thanks Roy !

Comment by Grace Nationville — February 27, 2007 @ 5:46 pm

9. I love this thing, but I’m not getting the messages to write to my board, kinna new to wordpress, any tips?

Comment by my2cents — March 6, 2007 @ 12:14 am

10. Well… the one tip I can think of is to let it rest for now. If I ever get a chance to revisit this project I’ll test it on new WP installs to see what users are running in to. So far I’ve only installed it on one blog other than this one, and that worked. I might not for you at this point.

Comment by Roy — March 6, 2007 @ 1:06 pm