Flower.swf fla file

Flower gif

Ever since I released my Tranquility and Tranquility White WordPress themes, I’ve been getting emails about the Flash file used in both themes. People like to customize their theme, and the supplied swf file is locked. This was done on purpose, as I consider it to be a finished piece of Flash art. I originally created it for my daughter Ruby when she was born, and I feel it should not be messed with.

However, keeping source code to yourself is not a very open source minded thing to do and I’ve learned a lot from looking at other people’s code. Which is why I decided to post the original fla file. Please be gentle with it.

Flower fla file

1. I tried lots of themes, but Tranquility White is my favorite. I love it! Thanks for good work.

Cheers :)

Comment by Slave — March 4, 2007 @ 9:31 pm

2. May I know what app shall i use on Mac to open the ‘Flower fla file”?

Thanks!!

Comment by forrestRain — March 25, 2007 @ 7:41 pm

3. @forestRain: That would be Adobe Flash, version 8.

Comment by Roy — March 26, 2007 @ 9:12 am

4. Thank you Roy.

Comment by forrestRain — March 28, 2007 @ 12:15 pm

5. Hello Roy,

I’m begining to study flash code and found your file very educational. I was trying to understand where the collor is defined but haven´t been alble to do so. The “this.col = 17….” dosen´t seem to respond to any changes that i made on the number. If you could give any hints, i would be very thankfull. Gongratulations on your site. It is very good to have open minded people such as you doing such an amazing work. Thanks!

Comment by Diogo — April 6, 2007 @ 6:15 pm

6. Hi Diogo. The ‘this.col’ line is commented out because in this case I needed the flower to stay the same color, matching the theme’s typography. Earlier incarnations had random colour schemes.

To change the flower’s color, look for a line that says ‘beginFill(0xaacc66,35)’, and change ‘aacc66′ to whatever color you like. For more info, see the actionscript dictionary.

Comment by Roy — April 7, 2007 @ 12:25 pm

7. Hi Roy, remember me?

If you’re worried about what’ll happen to your open sourced Flash file, you can always attach a Creative Commons license. :-)

Comment by Kars — May 7, 2007 @ 9:36 am

8. Though I’ve asked about changing the color of the flower.swf awhile ago, I’ve grown quite attached to it. Though I’d probably leave the color as is, but it’ll be nice to mess with it to brush up on my flash :) Thanks roy.

Comment by chiadog — May 13, 2007 @ 3:58 pm

9. Do you have many people complain about the colors of this site? I think its cool but my wife says its hard to read.
    Thanks Roy

Comment by Peter — August 24, 2007 @ 11:16 pm

10. @Peter: You’re the first :). However, themes with a dark background are harder to read than light ones, which is why there’s a ‘tranquility white’ variation for this layout

Comment by Roy — August 25, 2007 @ 5:54 am

11. Flower looking really great.

Comment by Annie — October 2, 2007 @ 12:01 pm

12. This is a great theme i like the tranquility white the best top job. Nice to see someone is open minded about their code and has managed to learn from others Cheers

Comment by Mansion House Florists — April 30, 2008 @ 11:56 am

13. Roy, I dont blame you if you designed it for Ruby locking it was a good idea. I love the design if you look at it for too long it almost looks 3D with a spiraling effect. – Nice Job

Comment by Butterfly Flowers — April 13, 2011 @ 9:34 pm

14. Love the spiral effect. Thanks for be open source minded, it must have been difficult to give away something precious. I will handle it with care!
    Thanks;