Triggered by a comment on my recent Flash SEO post I decided to set up my own experiment to find out if, and to what extent search engines index Flash content.
The movie you see above and the text file it loads contain five words that are currently not in Google’s index.
- One is in a static text field, Flash’s simplest way of displaying text.
- Another is put into a dynamic text field using actionscript.
- A third is loaded in from a text file and put into a dynamic field.
- That text file contains an extra variable to see whether SEs index the file.
- The last one is declared in the movie’s actionscript, but not displayed.
I’m pretty sure the first one will get indexed, but if any of the others show up in Google I’ll be surprised.
It’ll take a little while for search engines to index these pages, but once they do we’ll have a better understanding of how they see Flash content. Until then, please don’t post my “words” anywhere. Thanks. I’ll be sure to post the results as soon as I get them.
[EDIT]The result are here.[/EDIT]