Wireless security camera = wifi killer

Elro C910 wireless security camera

I bought an Elro C910 wireless security camera a while ago that I was planning on using as a video baby monitor. It cost me only about €40 and I have to say it works better than I expected. The image quality isn’t stellar and there’s some interference, but it could have worked well enough for my needs if it weren’t for one tiny little problem. Whenever the camera’s power is plugged in, I have no wifi reception at all anywhere in my house. I’ve tried setting my router to different channels but to no avail.

The camera uses the 2.4 GHz band, and apparently uses it up completely. So, if you (or your neighbors?) value your wireless network it might be a good idea to stay away from this little gadget. If you, for some reason, need to jam someone’s wifi connection, this is the thing to get :).

Roy | June 4, 2007 | English,Gadgets | Comments (11)

1. Ah what a pity! I was in the cruel need of a wireless security camera (actually a bunch of it to secure a terminal), and I do cherish my current vital wifi network…

Comment by Tharnax — August 22, 2008 @ 1:54 pm

2. Do you want to get rid of your wifi killer? I am interested in the receiver that comes with the cam. Mine is dead and needs to be replaced.

Ramon

Comment by Ramon — November 25, 2008 @ 11:39 pm

3. Hi Ramon. I sold it off soon after I wrote this post. Fortunately the buyer didn’t google for my name until after we finalized the deal :) I’ve got to be more careful what I blog about…

Comment by Roy — November 27, 2008 @ 9:35 am

4. Hi Roy, thanks for your reply. Guess what… I bought the very same set for € 49 only, brand new from the shop I also bought my 1st set :0). The right offer at the right time.

I am using it to monitor my still camera when it’s up in the air, lofted by a kite to make aerial photographies.

Cheers,

Ramon

Comment by Ramon — December 4, 2008 @ 8:02 pm

5. Hi Ramon. Are the pictures you take online somewhere? Sounds like a really cool way to do aerial photography. I guess you shouldn’t plan on using one of those Eye-Fi cards though…

Comment by Roy — December 5, 2008 @ 8:52 am

6. Hi Roy and sorry for my all but swift reply.

Yes, my pics are on-line. Have a look at http://www.flickr.com/kappix. Apart from groundshots you’ll also find aerials. I also have my own website (in Dutch, but who cares) which I filled in here.

Eye-Fi cards… never heard of those, but I’ll Google on it.

Have fun,

Ramon

Comment by Ramon — December 11, 2008 @ 12:49 pm

7. Cool stuff Ramon!

EyeFI cards are like regular SD card, but they have a little wifi chip that lets them beam the pictures right to your computer. Could be handy to see the photo’s without having to get the kite down?

Comment by Roy — December 11, 2008 @ 3:48 pm

8. Thanks, man!

Hey, sounds and looks interesting. So I need a laptop in the fields or streets. Can do that. But can it bridge 200 meters or more…

Comment by Ramon — December 15, 2008 @ 8:31 pm

9. @Ramon: You should contact the EyeFi people and tell them about your project. It would be a perfect showcase for their product and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’d send you a card to try it out.

Comment by Roy — December 17, 2008 @ 8:49 am

10. That’s a good one. I will do that in the coming week. There’s a chance though that more aerial photographers have contacted this company with the same question. And there’s only one way to find that out.

Have a nice X-mas and a good start of 2009 :0)

Ramon

Comment by Ramon — December 20, 2008 @ 11:10 am

11. Very interesting. I have another generic 2.4 camera on my roof, contained within a home made rotor. Now I am wondering if I am destroying all the wifi signals nearby.

Comment by Wm — December 15, 2011 @ 9:00 pm