A $150 laptop, too good to be true? – Updated again

Medison Celebrity laptop

Swedish company Medison has started offering a $150 laptop on their website. For the price the celebrity it’s very decently specced. It puts the OLPC and the Eee PC to shame, and looks pretty sleek as well. I’ve read predictions that laptop prices are going to drop, but this is ludicrous. Too good to be true? Will this turn out to be vaporware? Or will I be missing a unique opportunity by not clicking the ‘buy now’ button just yet?

Update – July 26th

Check out the comments on Engadget. Some pretty skilled private detectives out there. Apparently the Medison company is run from the UK, has only existed for about two weeks and is owned by someone who’s been involved in all kinds of scams. The 4-6 weeks delivery looks like it’s designed to allow him to move to South America without ever having to deliver a single machine…

Update 2 – August 2nd

As you can read in the comments, I ordered one a couple of days ago. 2CO’s airtight refund policy convinced be that I had nothing to lose. Last night, Medison organized a press conference during which they answered questions and showed a single laptop. From what I gather the whole thing was less than convincing, but I can’t see why scammers would go through the trouble of dealing with the press.

See http://www.medisonscam.info/ for more frequent updates.

Roy | July 25, 2007 | English,Gadgets | Comments (13)
Tags: , ,

1. yeah you’re right, the 4-6 week time is the sure tell-tale sign. it’s a horrible standard delivery time no matter what country you’re in.

Comment by ray — July 27, 2007 @ 8:49 am

2. The weird thing is that the fulfillment company they’re using (2checkout.com) pretty much guarantees delivery of the computers. They offer a full refund if this turns out to be a scam.

Considering this I guess there are three options.

1. Medison are frauds and they didn’t read 2checkout’s fine print well enough to discover their scam wouldn’t work.

2. Medison is planning to rip off 2checkout by supplying boxes with bricks inside and dissappearing before the excrements hit the ventilator. I’ve asked 2checkout about this possibility throught their forum, will keep you posted.

3. It’s somehow not a scam, just a very poorly marketed and executed plan to get the world cheap laptops.

Comment by Roy — July 27, 2007 @ 8:32 pm

3. OK, I just ordered one just see what will happen. With 2checkout’s refund policy I can’t see any risk on my part. They responded to my question about the bricks within minutes and told me I would get my money back if anything like that were to happen.

I will of course keep you posted.

Comment by Roy — July 27, 2007 @ 9:09 pm

4. I hate to be a killjoy but heres some background info – the site is being hosted on a webhost that charges $1.50 month & the company doesn´t exist in the Swedish yellow pages! If you can´t afford to loose $150 don´t play this game!

Comment by Fraktfritt — August 4, 2007 @ 11:12 pm

5. Wat zijn we toch weer lekker puur Hollands, altijd het goedkoopste!!!

Ik ben ook zeer geinterreseerd in de $150 laptop. Laat je het me weten als je hem ontvangen hebt?

Hoe zit het met de verzendkosten naar Nederland?

Groeten, Juan

Comment by Juan — August 5, 2007 @ 4:35 pm

6. @Fraktfritt: I know the company is pretty fishy, but 2CO isn’t so there’s very little risk of actually losing the $150.

@Juan: Shipping fees have not yet been determined, but it appears they will be shipped from The Netherlands by UPS. If I do receive a laptop I’ll definitely post about it.

Comment by Roy — August 6, 2007 @ 7:51 am

7. Good luck receiving this ;)

My prediction? You won’t receive a laptop, or you’ll receive a very bad, very outdated laptop, probably second hand, and they’ll claim “the site stated specifications will vary”

Comment by Matt Hoy — August 9, 2007 @ 12:38 pm

8. @Matt: The site says that specs can only be changed ‘upwards’, and I seriously doubt whether they’d ship second hand units, but yes, I do not think I’ll receive this either at this point. Still, it’s worth a gamble with 2CO’s 100% money back guarantee…

Comment by Roy — August 9, 2007 @ 1:40 pm

9. Roy, I’m following your story, checking this page often. :)

Hope you get it mate.

Comment by Matt Hoy — August 24, 2007 @ 6:14 pm

I was checking medison´s website again, http://www.medisoncelebrity.com/, and when I clicked on the ¨Buy Now¨ button, there was an error from the 2co website. It seems that it´s getting stunning right now.

You didn´t recieve nothing, did you? How many weeks is it now? Good luck with it!

Comment by Juan — September 19, 2007 @ 9:20 pm

11. No, I didn’t receive anything, and according to http://www.medisonscam.info neither has anyone else. In fact the whole thing is getting sketchier by the minute. I’ve pretty much abadoned the concept of ever getting a laptop from Medison, and have focussed my attention on the Asus eee-pc and similar concepts…

Comment by Roy — September 20, 2007 @ 7:23 am

12. Link: Roy Tanck’s weblog » I cancelled my $150 laptop
  13. This very much reminds me of the “old” days of computer kits in the 1970’s. A new company would put out an ad in a magazine (like Popular Electronics) for a computer kit at a very good price. They would then collect orders to go out and then buy the parts that you needed for the computer kit. You would then get the kit months later. Personally I waited almost 9 months from a legitimate company for a computer kit I ordered for $300. It was the MITS “Altair” 680. I did finally get it and soldered it together and it did work.

Comment by Joe Porter — January 22, 2010 @ 12:24 am