Test driving a new theme…

As of now, ‘m testing a new WordPress theme on this site. I haven’t decided on a title yet, and there’s tons of little stuff missing, but I’m pretty sure I’ll be releasing this one sometime this or next month. The most important thing to sort out is decent widget support. This was sorely lacking from some of my earlier themes, and instead of updating them I decided to dedicate the time to designing a new one altogether.

I wanted to use a white background to increase readability, and I’m using Flash movies to do some typography tricks that plain HTML doesn’t know yet. Other than that it’s a relatively simple theme that will be easy to modify by anyone who isn’t completely allergic to style sheets or HTML.

So, what do you think?

1. I really like it! But, is it possible to get the title flush with the top of the entry? Hmmm, on second thought, maybe that would look wonky. I guess the only way to see is to test it out.

Comment by Rashunda — February 17, 2008 @ 8:00 pm

2. I actually quite liked the title sticking out like that. And I have to admit that the Flash title will not be in the exact same spot every time because of differences in font size and the number of lines. It would be slightly misaligned all the time.

Comment by Roy — February 17, 2008 @ 8:03 pm

3. “And I have to admit that the Flash title will not be in the exact same spot every time because of differences in font size and the number of lines. It would be slightly misaligned all the time.”

Ahhhh. Okay.

Comment by Rashunda — February 17, 2008 @ 10:37 pm

4. It’s taking me a little getting used to. I’m not sure whether I like the titles or not yet, but the rest is very nice.

I think you should move the search function to the top of the sidebar or at least far up enough so that you don’t have to scroll to find it.

Comment by Brian — February 25, 2008 @ 12:53 pm

5. Hi Brian,

You’re absolutely right about th search box. Once I get the widget support figured out placing it anywhere will no longer be a problem.

I quite like the titles, and if anything I feel the rest of the theme doesn’t do them justice just yet. It’s also turned out looking a bit too much like my Tranquility White theme.

Comment by Roy — February 25, 2008 @ 1:00 pm

6. I believe I’ve just found a small bug in your current blog theme. When I scroll to the bottom of your front page the only navigation option shown is “Newer Posts” which takes me to page 2, but those are older posts! It looks like you’ve reversed those 2 labels.

Comment by Brian — May 30, 2008 @ 7:27 pm

7. Hi Brian. This is something that has been popping up for many theme authors. It’s easy to fix. thanks. I’ll try and do an updated version.

Comment by Roy — May 30, 2008 @ 8:30 pm

8. Pardon a newbie’s question….but I love this theme and I’m wondering how I can get it? Is it available on this site or from within WordPress?

Tony Rush

Comment by Tony Rush — November 10, 2008 @ 5:35 am

9. I like the clean lines, and simple feel of the new theme dude.

All I could suggest is a few more random splashes of color really… just to ad a little something here and there.

Otherwise I think it’s really nice.

Comment by Hudson Davies — May 5, 2011 @ 8:34 am