No WordPress on Hosting Zoom?

Imagine renting a big-ass car, with pretty much unlimited mileage. But when you get in the engine turns out to be too weak to actually move you forward. That’s how this feels. This site too has been hosted with Hosting Zoom for a while now, as are some of my other sites. Recently however, I’ve been getting 500 errors (internal server error). So was a friend of mine, and she eventually got HZ’s support department to fess up. WP is exceeding their memory limit for PHP scripts.

“…your hosting plan does not provide you with sufficient resources to allow WordPress to perform perfectly. Don’t get me wrong, it’s capable of running it – but not to an extent that you’re able to serve multiple user’s with.”

What you have to know is that she had set up a fresh new WP blog for testing purposes only, and wasn’t serving any users at all. Nevertheless it took the sole user only a few clicks to have the blog come to a grinding halt, especially if those clicks were of the ‘submit’ kind.

Hosting Zoom + WordPress = failure

What makes this extra painful is the fact that Hosting Zoom actually provides a one-click install script for WordPress. Why would they do that if you can’t actually run the single most popular ‘publishing platform’ on their shared hosting accounts? What good are 20 GB of storage and 400 GB of transfer if you can’t even host a small personal weblog on it?

If Hosting Zoom doesn’t revise it’s PHP memory resource strategy, I think it’s time to look for another host. So far I’ve been hosted by two large, US-based companies, and both have been a dissappointment. Perhaps I should see if a small local firm will provide a better service…

I had to prepare this post in a text editor btw, my blog was ’404′ (page not found)…

1. I’ve been using 1and1 (www.1and1.com) for about 5 years and they’re excellent. I have a $5/month plan which gives something like 100GB of storage and 1TB of transfers per month, plus 24 hour toll free support. I’ve got a website and 2 WordPress install running live and have never seen a 500 error for any reason but my own sloppy coding.

The only setback is that I don’t get shell access with my $5 account so I have to unzip WordPress locally and upload zillions of tiny files via FTP so updates take 20 or 30 minutes. For $10/month you get shell access plus way more storage, domain names, mySQL databases, and other good stuff. You can also choose between a Linux or Windows server.

Comment by Brian — March 30, 2008 @ 12:07 am

2. Hey, I’m in the same boat. Glad I am not alone. I just posted details over on Suzero’s site:

Hoping we can all team up and presseure Hosting Zoom into some action.

Comment by Chris — April 2, 2008 @ 3:10 pm

3. Try contacting the Automattic team. They’ve said in the WordPress Podcast that if your host is giving you problems with WP, call them and they’ll get HostingZoom’s servers properly optimized. 99% of the time, the problem isn’t WP, but the server’s configuration. ;-)

Comment by soren121 — April 28, 2008 @ 10:49 pm

4. Its so funny that i’m reading this as i am also with HZ and only installed and started testing wordpress and got the dreaded internal server error 500 also and after countless tickets the answers to my questions were dreadful and they also suggested i move my account to their higher paid dedicated package, the cheek!

So im in search of a new hosting provider for the up and coming blog im going to release but im scared of cpu resources now and cant find anyone as i always manage to find a bad review especially towards wordpress!!!!!

Comment by Marek Holeszowski — August 14, 2008 @ 8:14 pm

5. Hi Marek. I posted an update to this story a few days ago. I haven’t seen a single 500 error (nor any other for that matter) since I moved my sites to Pair. Uptime has been 100% for months, and tech support is great. Highly recommended. In fact, a google search for “pair networks horror story” doesn’t turn up a single relevant result :).

Comment by Roy — August 14, 2008 @ 8:39 pm

6. Link: How Hosting Zoom & iPowerWeb Fails Me | b(rio)log
  7. That’s pretty awful that hostingzoom would say they couldn’t handle wordpress properly. It’s sad! I’m glad that you’ve found a great hosting provider. You should also check our http://www.mosso.com and http://www.uptimehost.com, both of them appear to be clustered and are suppose to “handle” wordpress. Love the blog :)

Comment by Jake — March 15, 2009 @ 6:30 am

8. Good One!,

Comment by sherly towles — July 6, 2009 @ 6:43 pm

9. beautiful site..)),

Comment by James Bohleber — July 6, 2009 @ 6:44 pm

10. I came to this site VIA Google search looking for info on Nexx.com. Just installed a “1″ WP blog for a client and got the dreaded 500 Internal Server Error with nothing but a bare bones blog. The thing is, most of these sites make customers support like pulling teeth.

At any rate, if anyone knows ANYTHING or has had any such experience with Nexx.com, please leave a comment on this page and I’ll see it. Thanks

Comment by Joe Elliot — September 24, 2010 @ 10:08 pm

11. Hmm, I have been using Bluehost for years and they never failed me. Works fantastic with the WP platform. Great customer service too… Maybe you check em out…

Comment by Teeth Grinding — June 8, 2011 @ 3:20 pm