Fix for slow Actionscript editor in Vista

I haven’t been doing much Flash lately, but each time I needed to edit older projects I noticed how slow the Actionscript editor was since I moved to Vista. It was so sluggish I ended up making all sorts of typos. I googled for a fix, and eventually found one here.

Setting Flash.exe’s compatibility mode to “Windows XP” will restore the editor to its former speedy self. What a relief. Let’s hope this gets fixed altogether in future versions…

1. Hey Roy, what do you think of Vista in general? Do you notice many little idiosyncrasies like this or is it a good OS for the most part?

I’ve got a free copy of Vista Ultimate and have installed it in dual boot with XP a few times, but I never boot to Vista. I’m a big gamer and own many DirectX 10 game but still prefer to play them in DX9 on XP because I’ve settled in to XP so comfortably.

Now that the new version of Ubuntu is out I’ve been thinking of giving that a try again, though that’s not a good OS for gamers.

Comment by Brian — April 24, 2008 @ 5:36 pm

2. I actually quite like Vista. I’m not a gamer at all, and I feel a lot of things have improved. Like the way it handles updates, the control panel’s layout, wireless networking, etc… Also, it does not feel slow to me at all, but considering the hardware I’m running it on that’s no surprise :).

SP1 has not had any noticeable effect on my computer at all though…

I’ve played with Ubuntu many times, but as long as there’s not Linux version of Flash and Photoshop it really isn’t an option for me.

Comment by Roy — April 24, 2008 @ 6:20 pm

3. Man, this problem was drive me crazy! Thanks for this trick!

Comment by Marcus — April 24, 2008 @ 9:16 pm

4. nice!
    thanks !

Comment by carl — April 25, 2008 @ 2:44 pm

5. Thanks so much, Had over a second delay on every thing I did and if I did type to quickly then it would mix up the keys too.

Comment by Ross — August 14, 2008 @ 1:17 pm

6. Thanks! This totally solved the problem for me.

Comment by Roque — March 9, 2009 @ 9:20 pm

7. Thanks for the tip!
    I was going to ask my system admin to try installing some Adobe updates in order to check that huge and massive headache, and guess what… Just tried your tip and it is perfect!!! :D Thanks again!

Comment by Daniel — May 15, 2009 @ 10:14 am

8. Thnks for the tip, had the same problem and couldnt figure out what was wrong, I even reinstalled the software in hope it would fix this issue. Your info solved the problem right away.

Comment by Ani10 — July 22, 2009 @ 3:35 pm

9. Thanks a bunch, this problem has been driving me crazy. Now I’m a happy camper again! :)

Cheers!

Comment by Johan Steen — August 18, 2009 @ 3:40 pm

10. Thanks for the tip .. really the editor is very sloooow but now problem is solved
    Thanks again Cheers!

Comment by Nafee Achjijem — August 20, 2009 @ 8:22 pm

11. I really have to thank you for this, I tried several days everything… fonts… hardware.. google… I just wonder what is the root of this problem and why it happens in just some machines.

Cheers!

Comment by Raymesh — September 22, 2009 @ 7:00 pm

12. Thank you SOOOO much! That does it!!!

Comment by Rocky — October 8, 2009 @ 7:50 pm

13. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    Flash was virtually unusable until I found this page.

Comment by Jeff — January 15, 2010 @ 8:36 pm

14. I know you posted this over 3 1/2 years ago, but I just tried this trick after upgrading to Flash Professional CS5.5 from CS3, and the Actionscript text editor is no longer sluggish. Worked like a charm. Thanks very much!

Comment by Dave — January 7, 2012 @ 2:25 pm

15. Crazy old post, but I recently had the same issue… works like a charm. Thanks!

Comment by TJ — April 6, 2012 @ 4:53 pm