WP-Cumulus is now open source

open source

This is a first for me. Even though I’ve always been a firm believer in the open source licensing model, I’ve never actually released anything as free software. Up until now. As of ten minutes ago, WP-Cumulus is open source. From now on the plugin will be hosted on WordPress.org, and I will no longer offer it for download here on my own website. But that’s just the start of it.

Because it’s now open source, the source files for the Flash movie are also available for download for you to tinker with. This means you’ll be able to change the font, embed your language’s character set and change anything else you feel beneficial for your blog. If you improve on the plugin’s functionality, please let me know so I can consider adding your changes.

Have fun!

1. yes,it`s nice
    however it just support the English tags,when you use Chinese tag words,it doesn`t work.
    Would you please upgrade it for other language users
    thanks

Comment by Don — August 17, 2008 @ 1:28 am

2. Hi Don. One of my reasons for going open source is that users can now add their own local character sets to the movie. I used to have a couple of international versions available, but preparing them was tedious and time consuming. Please see this post: http://www.roytanck.com/2008/08/04/how-to-add-more-characters-to-wp-cumulus/ .

If you attempt to do a Chinese version, please keep me posted. I’d like to know if the movie is still small enough not to slow down your blog. Chinese has lots of characters, and all of them will need to be stored in the Flash movie.

Comment by Roy — August 17, 2008 @ 11:12 am

3. Hi,

very nice!!

I’m working on a flex application and I would like to use your WP-Cumulus. But, when a user click on a tag, I would like to initialize a public variable and not load a new URL.

So, I would like to modify your code but I can’t because my flash version isn’t compatible. I use Flash 8.

What’s your version to flash to generate .fla???

Thanks

Comment by seb — October 2, 2008 @ 11:11 am

4. Hi Seb. I’m using Flash CS3 Professional (which is a fancy name for version 9.0)

Comment by Roy — October 2, 2008 @ 2:42 pm

5. Goog job man !
    Tks U
    w

Comment by Wize — October 2, 2008 @ 2:47 pm

6. Thanks you, I’m going to look for this version of Flash CS3 Pro… Maybe I could use a trial version just to modify your sources but I don’t know if with a trial version I can generate a SWF…

Best regards!

Seb
    (France, Grenoble)

Comment by seb — October 2, 2008 @ 4:25 pm

7. Is there a limit to the number of characters that can be passed in using addvariable to the tagcloud variable?

Or a text encoding that would break the display? I have a case where it is passed in fine but nothing is displayed in the swf…

Thanks for a nice program!

Comment by Rob A — October 28, 2008 @ 6:06 pm

8. the plugin doesnt work it have a bug that i can not change the colors. all files have chmood 777 and nothing happen
    website is http://blog.lausitz-designor.de

Comment by alex — December 24, 2008 @ 1:23 pm

9. Hi Alex. I checked your blog and it appears you have been able to get the tags to display in colors that match your blog’s theme. Can you confirm this or do you need additional assistance?

Comment by Roy — December 24, 2008 @ 2:42 pm

10. Link: Drei Bewohner der Er.de
  11. Hello,

Would it be possible to update your .fla so we can open it with Flash CS3 and beyond?

Thank you very much!

MACC

Comment by MACC — February 12, 2009 @ 9:06 pm

• Hi MACC. The fla should open in CS3. It does on my machine.

Comment by Roy — February 13, 2009 @ 10:12 am

12. Hi.
    I’m bad on english =(
    I’m from Russia =)
    Please, help!! How use tag could gadjet on russian (windows-1251)

Comment by Alexey — February 17, 2009 @ 2:40 pm

13. @Alexey: This might help: http://www.wordpressplugins.ru/look/wp-cumulus.html or if you prefer to do it yourself: http://www.roytanck.com/2008/08/04/how-to-add-more-characters-to-wp-cumulus/

Comment by Roy — February 17, 2009 @ 2:46 pm

14. Thanks, Roy.
    I see these links but can’t solve the problem… only English words are seen.

Comment by Alexey — February 17, 2009 @ 6:00 pm

15. @Alexey: The first link point to a Russian translation of the plugin. The page is also in Russian, but I’m pretty sure there’s a download link in there somewhere.

Comment by Roy — February 17, 2009 @ 7:26 pm

16. After download russian plug-in, at me or “abracadabra” or shows nothing = (
    (http://www.medbioline.ru/test/index.php)…

Comment by Alexey — February 17, 2009 @ 7:39 pm

17. Yahooo =))) It’s Works!!!
    Thanks!!! :)

Comment by Alexey — February 17, 2009 @ 10:53 pm

18. Hello Roy,
    thanx a lot for this incredible plugin. I have a simple question.. if this is open source, where can i get the *.fla file? the swf won’t open.. is a *.fla file available?

Arthur

Comment by w014nd — February 18, 2009 @ 6:26 pm

19. Sorry,
    i’ve found the answer myself, just after posting my question.. just had to download the “developing version”

You rock!

Comment by w014nd — February 18, 2009 @ 6:28 pm

20. yup. Thanks for Arthur’s reply I’ve found the url to sources code.

Comment by Frank — February 25, 2009 @ 4:27 pm

21. Link: Recent Projects Built With Free Tools | Bizlift Blog

First of all good job on the wp-cumulus.

I have a question, is it possible to create a shape behind the texts ( like a background image)? If yes, how do i that ? i tried to use the drawCircle method , it works fine on the mouseOver event. I tried also to add a background image the the tags in the .xml files…but didnt get anywhere

Comment by Phil — April 1, 2009 @ 9:32 am

23. I managed to do it….thanks

Comment by Phil — April 1, 2009 @ 10:31 am

24. Hi Phil. I haven’t tried this, but you should be able to draw into the Tag sprites using Flash’s drawing API. Make sure not to draw into the _back symbol, as that gets hidden and is only displayed on mouseover. There’s no way to do it through the XML though.

Comment by Roy — April 1, 2009 @ 10:31 am

25. Ignore my last comment. I found the Development Versions and the Flash sources.

Thanks very much.

Comment by SL — May 7, 2009 @ 9:06 am

26. You mentioned the the source files for the Flash movie are also available for download, but didn’t mention where. Don’t see them on the WordPress Org site. Where can i get the FLA file everyone is talking about?

Comment by Skeeter — May 7, 2009 @ 2:52 pm

27. The sources are included in the ‘development version‘.

Comment by Roy — May 7, 2009 @ 3:45 pm

28. Hey there,
    I was wondering if you could advise me on how to change the background color of the WP-Cumulus if its embedded on my index page header?
    Thanks, any direction would help cause I am lost.
    -Steve

Comment by steve — May 11, 2009 @ 2:26 am

• Hi Steve. If you’ve embedded it using the php function call, you can change the background color under ‘settings->wp cumulus’. I assume that what you’ve done, since you’ve added it to the header?

Comment by Roy — May 11, 2009 @ 11:20 am

29. sir, i cant found the .fla file of WP-Cumulus . but i want to use it and i’m intrest in this flash move. So kindly give me full tutorials in my mail in a word document. My mail address is “jeet8888@hotmail.com”
    Thank you Sir.

Comment by Jitendra — June 22, 2009 @ 2:03 pm

30. i download the zip, but there is no source code.
    where can i get the source code (mxml or actionscript)?
    thanks!

Comment by gembin — June 30, 2009 @ 3:37 pm

31. Hi Gembin. The developer version includes the source codes. The link is in the comment above yours.

Comment by Roy — June 30, 2009 @ 3:42 pm

32. yes, i just download the zip which is http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/wp-cumulus.1.21.zip
    but only swf, js, php inside. is there flex src available? because i will use it in flex project

Comment by gembin — June 30, 2009 @ 3:49 pm

33. @gembin: You need this one: http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/wp-cumulus.zip for the sources, and http://carvalhar.com/#/en/blog/183/flex-cumulus-tag-cloud/ has the Flex component.

Comment by Roy — June 30, 2009 @ 3:50 pm

34. thank you very much!!!! that is what i need. :-)

Comment by gembin — June 30, 2009 @ 4:00 pm

35. For french guys and DotClear 2:
    look for : _public.php
    search for : ‘blog->url.$core->url->getBase(‘tag’).’/’.rawurlencode($rs->meta_id).’\’ ‘.

replace it by :
    blog->url.$core->url->getBase(‘tag’).’/’.rawurlencode(utf8_encode($rs->meta_id)).’\’ ‘.

Comment by pascal — August 28, 2009 @ 6:02 pm

36. Hey ROY! Thank you for the release! from the day i knew about this tag cloud i was intrested to know its source code! i am curious to know how u extract tags out of the pages! i also tried to make an unanimated flash movie for a page[which uses the manually added button links not tags]. So it will be thankful if u tell how to get the source code for the movie??

Comment by Adi — September 30, 2009 @ 6:47 pm

37. Link: » WP-Cumulus and the problem with unclickable links « Blog archive « Meeho!™ Blog
  38. Link: » WP-Cumulus og problemet med links, der ikke kan klikkes på « Blogarkiv « Meeho!™ Blog
  39. Link: Cumulus Tag Cloud | PHP World