WordPress plugin: Tagnetic Poetry

Tagnetic Poetry is another experiment using Flash to display your blog’s tag cloud. It was Merel Zwart who came up with the brilliant idea to mimic magnetic poetry. Because it re-uses most of the code used in WP-Cumulus, the 0.8 version should already be pretty stable.

Tagnetic Poetry is now available from WordPress.org

You can see it in action here.

Tagnetic Poetry’s settings page will let change the display size, the background color, tag sizing and other things to make it fit your blog. Once you’ve set it up users will be able to click the tags, or drag them to create their own tag poetry.

One thing to note is the dimensions you choose for the movie will in part determine the number of tags displayed. At the default settings the plugin attempts to display 45 tags, but if a tag is too big to fit into the remaining space available it will give up and move on to the next one. This is why you should not consider this a replacement for your usual tag cloud if your site depends heavily on tag navigation. Or you should dedicate lots of space to it and choose a relatively small tag size.

1. Cool! Seх Pistols!

Comment by Skokov Ilja — August 27, 2008 @ 12:36 pm

2. Русская версия плагина тут: http://www.wordpressplugins.ru/look/tagnetic-poetry.html
    Russian version of the plugin here: http://www.wordpressplugins.ru/look/tagnetic-poetry.html

Comment by Flector — August 31, 2008 @ 3:31 pm

3. Link: Плагин "Tagnetic Poetry" выводит необычное облако тегов на flash.
  4. Maybe someone can say me how i can make tag cloud like cloud in this page, it’s like ball? What i need to do?

Comment by bananoidas — September 11, 2008 @ 2:28 pm

5. @bananoidas: check http://www.roytanck.com/tag/wp-cumulus/ :)

Comment by Roy — September 11, 2008 @ 3:33 pm

6. what im supposed to do if i want my own tag cloud?what technologies r needed?

Comment by atul — October 14, 2008 @ 4:43 am

7. @aful: If you’re using WordPress this is available as a plugin. It’s not (yet?) been ported to any other CMSs as far as I’m aware of.

Comment by Roy — October 14, 2008 @ 8:15 am

8. hi, thanks for this plugin. but when i set both or categories in the widget, only one category display.

Comment by mheidzir — December 23, 2008 @ 7:20 pm

9. if i using the manual step

“Add the following code anywhere in your theme to display the cloud. This can be used to add Tagnetic Poetry to your sidebar, although it may not actually be wide enough in many cases to keep the tags readable.”

this one no problem, all categories shown

Comment by mheidzir — December 23, 2008 @ 7:23 pm

10. Link: Eklenti.Net > Wordpress Eklentileri » Tagnetic Poetry
  11. Link: CHaKi - Hekes Bilgilensin » Tagnetic Poetry
  12. guyz, i added this beauty to my site in no time. thanx

Comment by kHa — June 6, 2009 @ 4:35 pm

13. for Turkish character support http://blog.selmanozcan.com/index.php/2009/06/tagnetic-poetry
    Türkçe karakter desteği ve farklı yazıtipleri için http://blog.selmanozcan.com/index.php/2009/06/tagnetic-poetry

Comment by kHa — June 6, 2009 @ 5:23 pm

14. Link: Global Tags now Initiated | OnMason Status
  15. Link: Как красиво показать теги | Плагин Tagnetic Poetry | темный Незнайка | светлый Wordpress
  16. Does this plugin use the same variable settings as the cumulus plugin?

For example: so.addVariable(“xmlpath”, “yourcloud.xml”);

Or: so.addVariable(“mode”, “tags”);
    so.addVariable(“tagcloud”, “Tag nameTag two“);

Comment by Cody — June 20, 2009 @ 12:48 am

• Hi Cody. No, this plugin does not support everything that’s in WP-Cumulus. I have a new version planned for release which does add a couple of more options. I’ll see about adding the xmlpath one too.

Comment by Roy — June 21, 2009 @ 9:20 am

17. This. Is. Awesome. Such a perfect fit for our baby blog (which I linked above). Thanks so much.

Comment by Matt — July 30, 2009 @ 6:35 pm

18. Link: Tagnetic Poetry « The Last Sanalvurgun.org Programer Blog
  19. Excellent plugin, Thank you so much.

Comment by Whereisaron — September 7, 2009 @ 3:28 pm

20. great work. thank you !

Comment by Bastian — October 1, 2009 @ 1:47 pm

21. Great! Thanks.

Comment by Sakvador — October 12, 2009 @ 10:19 pm

22. Hi, is there a version for ordinary websites like the cumulus without the wp?…. Would love to have one like that…

Comment by jo — October 20, 2009 @ 9:38 am

23. really excellent plugin! :)

thanks so much!

Comment by clay ball — November 15, 2009 @ 2:27 pm

24. Hi there mate,
    I really like this plugin and would love to use it – yet it seems to have a problem displaying unicode characters. Many of my tags are in hebrew which are displayed as blanks. Is there a chance you fix it? :)

Thanks,
    Yosi

Comment by Yosi — November 25, 2009 @ 3:31 pm

25. This so rocks.

But… Always a but from the ungrateful unwashed masses. ;-)

Wouldja consider diddling it for wp e-commerce product tags? I’d think that’d be a hit, also.

Thanks so much!

Comment by fry — December 29, 2009 @ 9:25 am

26. Hey!
    Your work is very very nice!!!

I’m a creative, but just with the wood and cork …;o)

Is it possible insert some of your cloud in my blog? http://alter-eno.yolasite.com/blog.php

Thanks … and go in this way… you are fantastic!

Pierpaolo

Comment by Pierpaolo Paradisi — January 4, 2010 @ 5:00 pm

• Pierpaolo, I’m not familiar with Yolasite, but as far as I know there are no ports of Tagnetic Poetry to other CMS systems.

Comment by Roy — January 6, 2010 @ 11:38 am

27. Hi Roy!
    I have a question, do you have a plan to integrate unicode for Tagnetic Poetry as you do for Tag Cumulus

Comment by Hutek — January 12, 2010 @ 10:38 am

• Hutek, frankly, no. TP is used by very few people and I’m close to abandoning this project. I’m just one person and need to prioritize. However, it’s open source, so someone else might…

Comment by Roy — January 13, 2010 @ 1:06 pm

28. Okie, I known, but you can give me some guide to customize it for support unicode.

Comment by Hutek — January 13, 2010 @ 7:04 pm

• Hutek, you’ll need to look into Flash’s new TextLine class and convert the Tag class to make use of it.

Comment by Roy — January 21, 2010 @ 9:48 am

29. Link: [HOT] WP-Cumulus bản hỗ trợ tiếng Việt | Hutek.info
  30. Link: TAG CLOUDS for WORDPRESS | BLOG IDEA WORKSHOP
  31. Link:   Tagnetic Poetry by Portal-tr.Com

Sorry to comment here, i have a question regarding wp-cumulus, i still haven’t figured out what exactly i should fill in the “wp_tag_cloud parameters” box to change the font size, Could you have a look at my blog and help me? Thank you in advance.

Changsheng

Comment by Changsheng — February 15, 2010 @ 3:13 pm

33. Suddenly i know how to change, thank you all the same for making such amaizing plug-in:)

Comment by Changsheng — February 15, 2010 @ 3:24 pm

34. Cool, but…
    …when there is more than 1 tag the most popular one is not visible. Example: set number=20, we see tags #2-20 (order by popularity) and don’t see the most popular #1.

Comment by BTH — February 18, 2010 @ 4:06 pm

• BTH, The plugin randomly tries to fit the tags into the available space. If there’s one that doesn’t fit into the remaining space, it will be left out. This can happen is you have a lot of tags and limited screen real estate devoted to the plugin. If the top tag is long and the movie is narrow in aspect, this can also happen. You could try setting a smaller tag size,and see if that helps.

Comment by Roy — February 19, 2010 @ 2:37 pm

35. Can you make another plugin so we can include a list of keywords and have a magnetic poetry style widget our users can play with. I don’t want to use it with tags, I want to use it as a fun game for people to play. Is this possible?

Comment by Robert — February 18, 2010 @ 7:08 pm

• Hi Robert. Actually, you wouldn’t need a new plugin for that. The movie can be used on its own, with the words either in a flashvar string or an XML file. It might require a bit of tinkering, but it’s definitely doable.

Comment by Roy — February 19, 2010 @ 2:35 pm

36. Thank you! Problem solved with “largest” param.

Comment by BTH — February 19, 2010 @ 10:42 pm

37. turkish charcter set doesn’t working.
    how can i adding latin5 character set

Thnx for concern

Comment by Ufuk — March 25, 2010 @ 2:55 pm

38. Hey Roy, another great plugin, congratulations!

I’want to report a bug I’m facing with Tagnetic:
    When loading the page into Mozilla FF3, not all tags allow to click on them (hand cursor), but if I change the tab and comes back, all them get allowed to click. Very weird. It doesn’t happen with IE8.

As a suggestion:
    1) Your Tagnetic title, isn’t allowing to use wiht the XLanguage plugin settings. I mean I can type a two language titles e.g. “1000 words|1000 palavras” and when it is shown in English version will only shows “1000 words”, when shown in the Pt-br version, it just shows “1000 palavras” in the title. Now a days if I type “1000 words|1000 palavras” in the title it shows as “”1000 words|1000 palavras”.
    2) It would be interesting if when we mouse over the text it would zoom in a little bit and zoom back when mousing out.

Cheers and Happy Easter.

Comment by iLucato — April 2, 2010 @ 11:37 am

39. Link: AllT Programming. » Blog Archive » Tagnetic Poetry русская версия
  40. Link: Top 100 Wordpress Plugin Developers | Web Development for YOU
  41. Link: Tagnetic Poetry « Webasistani bilişim Teknoloji
  42. Link: Wordpress Tagnetic Poetry Eklentisi | Netmola.Net
  43. Thanks for this plugin. but when i set both or categories in the widget, only one category display.

Comment by takprosto — October 29, 2010 @ 11:56 pm

44. Hi admin,
    May you share tagcloud.fla with me? Because i have a character problem. I am using the Turkish Characters, but it didn’t work.

i read http://www.roytanck.com/2008/08/04/how-to-add-more-characters-to-wp-cumulus/ . I think; ‘the same ways, valid in this plugin’. But i didn’t tagcloud.fla in plugin files. When i opened tagcloud.swf in the Flash CS3, it said “Cannot open protected movie.”

Please help me…

Comment by Furkan — January 16, 2011 @ 12:40 pm

• Hi Furkan. You need to get the “development version” from wordpress.org.

Comment by Roy — January 19, 2011 @ 9:54 am

45. good comment. thanks you friends.

I’ve surfed the net more than three hours today, however, I haven’t found such useful information. Thanks a lot, it is really useful to me

Comment by sikis — June 24, 2011 @ 6:04 pm

46. Tell please, and Cyrillics is supported at this plugin? I have established, but instead of Russian letters of a flourish…

Comment by Webliberty — July 21, 2011 @ 11:26 am

• I’m sorry, but this does Latin characters only.

Comment by Roy — July 21, 2011 @ 12:14 pm