WP-Cumulus for Blogger = Blogumus!

I would not have thought it to be possible, but Amanda has succeeded in porting WP-Cumulus to Blogger. She’s written a short tutorial on how to set it up, which is surprisingly easy to do. I haven’t used Blogger since 2003, and wouldn’t have known where to start. So thanks Amanda!

If you’re a Blogger user and you want to catch up with what’s been happening with the WordPress version, click here.

1. If it works, this is great news.
    I’m going to try this as soon as possible on my blog, because I want a tag cloud, and WP-Cumulus looks so coooool !

Comment by Stéfan — September 2, 2008 @ 4:56 pm

2. Thanks for your Plugin,I am a Z-Blogger.

Comment by River.Yin — September 3, 2008 @ 10:19 am

3. Guys,
    This is awesome, can we set this up for movable type???
    PLEASE HELP ME DO SO…
    Thanks
    Saumil

Comment by Saumil Bhavsar — September 8, 2008 @ 8:24 am

4. Many thanks to you and Amanda! I have successfully added the tag cloud.

Is it possible to have individual color per tag, instead of all having one color? If so how can I (for example using the color property in the style of perhaps) specify this?

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Senaka

Comment by Senaka — September 8, 2008 @ 11:13 pm

5. sorry about the previous post… It should read…

“Is it possible to have individual color per tag, instead of all having one color? If so how can I (for example using the color property in the style of <a> perhaps) specify this?”

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Senaka

Comment by Senaka — September 8, 2008 @ 11:15 pm

6. Btw,

One more thing. The ‘+’ marks in my labels vanish from the names seen in the cloud. For example, C, and C++ will be displayed in the same way. :)… Please check on this as well.

Thanks,
    Senaka

Comment by Senaka — September 9, 2008 @ 8:33 am

7. Hi Senaka. WordPress does not let you specify a color for tags, so there’s little point to having colored tags. The colors would have to be random. Also, there would be sudden jumps in the animation, when one tag moves through another. Those are invisible as long as all tags have the same color.

Unfortunately, Flash uses the ‘+’ sing in urlencoding, so I had to filter these out and replace them with spaces. I put a ‘look into’ note about this to my todo list.

Comment by Roy — September 10, 2008 @ 3:53 pm

8. Hi, it works great, but the only problem is that i have too many tags in my site, there is a way to the flash tag cloud only represents some tags and not all of them? Please write me soon to my mail, fernando_a_ribeiro@hotmail.com.
    Thanks

Comment by Fernando — September 11, 2008 @ 2:40 pm

9. Hi Fernando. That’s something you should contact Amanda about. The flash movie does not limit the tags. The WordPress plugin does (or rather, WordPress does so by default), but since you’re using Blogger Amanda is probably your best bet.

Comment by Roy — September 11, 2008 @ 3:32 pm

10. ive used it!!!!

Comment by bighafidz — September 13, 2008 @ 4:58 am

I worked out the hack to make the ‘+’ marks appear, as well as another to make the tags having ‘/’ point to the proper URL. Many thanks, everything works fine. The need for colour was to have popular tags with one colour and less popular tags with another. It is like specifying a colour per tag, like the tag size for instance. :)..

Btw, Fernando,

You can reduce the number of tags that appear, based on how popular they are. I have seen people do that.

Regards,
    Senaka

Comment by Senaka — September 21, 2008 @ 12:02 am

12. Hi! Can you help me to port WP-Cumulus on my page? I use TBDEV and i dont know how do that(((

Зы Sorry for my English))0

From Suberia with love))

Comment by CatZ — October 8, 2008 @ 9:34 pm

13. Roy, I’m from that Eastern European country and we want u back, baby! That nuclear fission thingie is passe, now blogger is where it’s at. How about playing for our team a little bit? :)

Comment by zamolxis — October 12, 2008 @ 2:21 am

14. I noticed that the plugin doesn’t handle some Eastern European characters, or accented vowels. Clicking on such a label results in an error. I’ve changed all my labels to strictly Latin alphabet but still, isn’t there a way this could be fixed? Thanx.

Comment by zamolxis — October 12, 2008 @ 9:58 pm

15. Hi,

This is Sujit. I have my blog in MARATHI language ( one of the Indian langauges and for whcih UNICODE – UTF8 encoding is required.). I tried to use this for my blog, it works also. But labels in englsih are only shown properly. And labels in Marathi are shown as 2 or 3 dots.

Can you help me ?

Sujit
    ny.sujit@gmail.com

Comment by Sujit — October 31, 2008 @ 5:32 am

16. Roy
    I have too many labels. How can I solve the height of the swf? I’ve tried increasing height to 600 px but it didn’t change the appearance of the swf.
    Thanks!

Comment by OliverX — November 16, 2008 @ 7:51 pm

17. Hi OliverX. The size of the sphere is based upon the smallest dimension, so if you make it 600px wide but only 100px high the tags will still be tiny.

Comment by Roy — November 16, 2008 @ 8:44 pm

18. Thanks!!!
    I’ve understood. I’ll try another position in the blog design.

Comment by OliverX — November 20, 2008 @ 3:25 pm

19. Thanks for this tip…I am about to see exactly how it will impact my site…

Comment by mikeH — November 27, 2008 @ 3:28 am

20. Hey Roy,
    You are a very nice man. I want to use that in my blogs

Comment by Ridhuan — December 30, 2008 @ 4:47 pm

21. Thanks, I really like your creation :)

Comment by sherrina — January 2, 2009 @ 6:05 am

22. Dear Roy,
    I hv a blog.. I want to set cloud tag in ma blog… but I am unable to set it.
    pls help me how is it possible …
    Thank ..

Comment by Supratik Halder — January 12, 2009 @ 5:38 pm

23. its work !!! its really work !!! thank you very much… another silly question, how can i put your name or at least link it to you in my cloud?

Comment by ika — January 22, 2009 @ 4:38 am

• @ika: Don’t worry about that, it’s quite alright :)

Comment by Roy — January 22, 2009 @ 9:47 am

24. I have some questions regarding international support. Does Cumulus support Cyrillic? Because I’ve tried to install it on two different blogs (Blogger and WP), and it displays only the Latin keywords. Is it possible to fix this?

Comment by Acnapyx — January 23, 2009 @ 3:48 am

• @Acnapyx: Please check this out.

Comment by Roy — January 23, 2009 @ 10:13 am

25. hi,
    i tried ur tag cloud for blogger but all i c is white blank area in place of labels.
    will u plz help me set it properly,i am using blogger beta or all new blogger for now.
    thank u .
    regards,
    J

Comment by jyotika — January 29, 2009 @ 11:09 am

• Hi jyottika. I think Amanda from bloggerbuster will be able to help you. She wrote the Blogger port, and unlike me has indepth knowledge of the platform.

Comment by Roy — January 29, 2009 @ 7:19 pm

26. Hi Amanda, i unable to make my own wp-cumulus. it returned nothing, blank… please advice.

Comment by JC — February 11, 2009 @ 4:33 pm

27. I must say that the Amanda’s blogger port version has a bug.

I0ve noticed it with a blog with only three different labels.

It always shows only TWO of them randomly
    With 5 labels only show 4 and so on….

Have you checked this on the WP version?

Comment by Alex — February 25, 2009 @ 5:13 pm

• Hi Alex. The same thing happened with the WordPress version, but has been fixed a long time ago. Once you have more than a few tags this will become less of an issue, but it is a bug for sure.

Comment by Roy — February 25, 2009 @ 7:04 pm

28. @ Roy

Hi ! many thanks for quick reply first.

I GIVE UP ! well, me thinks. I tried a million, repeating over and over over again the same process as described, step by step, carefully. Does not work. Too bad. Still, there’s more to life and blogging than having a Blogumus. (would love to have one, though… uh uh uh :-( )

Something may be wrong in my blog sourcecode maybe ? or some symbols such as dashes, well I don’t know. too many tags ?

Furthermore, I inserted the code – it is still there – and then moved in the menu bar to put it where i wanted it to be, using drag-and-drop and I don’t know if it was the cause, but fact is I lost a lot of stuff, such a Links Lists, Friends’ bloglist and the list of Blogs I follow. I had to fix it up, darn long.

BTW, thnaks for taking time.

I’ll try and ask Amanda if she can help or direct me towards trouble-shooting forums or sites.

Best

Tiphaine

Comment by OochyKoochy — April 13, 2009 @ 12:36 pm

29. Данной информации, не сомневаюсь, и так достаточно, чтобы сделать вывод, как не надо делать.

Comment by Захар — May 28, 2009 @ 4:12 pm

30. Does it really work???

I’m dying to check it out… :)

Comment by harshal — June 22, 2009 @ 10:52 am

• Hi Harshal. I’ve seen Blogumus on many blogger blogs, so yeah, it does work.

Comment by Roy — June 22, 2009 @ 12:13 pm

31. for some reason, mine has stopped showing for a few days now. i have tried every possible way to make it appear but it’s not working.

Comment by trentrampage — July 24, 2009 @ 9:56 pm

32. Hi! I love this cloud!

I was just wondering… i’m getting to have alot of tags.. is there any way to make the one you’re hovering over change colour?

Thank you!

Comment by Jonathan — August 22, 2009 @ 12:04 pm

33. Somehow I see Tag Cloud is not working on my website at the moment, I do not know the reason why?

Could you please explain, this website is hosted on Blogger.

Thanks in advance

Comment by IQJava — October 12, 2009 @ 2:11 pm

• IQJava, it looks OK to me (Vista+Chrome). But with over 700 markup errors on the page there’s no telling what will happen in inferior browsers.

Comment by Roy — October 13, 2009 @ 8:35 am

34. Thank you so much for providing info on this! It worked like a charm.

Comment by aziajs — October 24, 2009 @ 9:22 pm