Firefox slow on your netbook too? disable ipv6!

I was about to write a post about how Intel’s Atom processor wasn’t quite fast enough to run Firefox 3. It used to be painfully slow on my netbook, until I found this great little trick. Apparently, Firefox grinds to a halt while trying to find ipv6 internet addresses that are unavailable on most networks.

Luckily, the author of Tech Explorer found out about it and wrote a post about how to disable this ‘feature’. It made Firefox about a hundred times more responsive.

Now if only Adobe would bring the Linux version of their Flash Player up to speed… Version ten is a major improvement, but still not being able to watch YouTube video’s fullscreen is a big bummer.

Roy | October 31, 2008 | English,Gadgets,Software | Comments (14)
Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Glad to hear that you’ve found the post to be useful. Interestingly this seems to be an issue that appears for some people and not others. For example on my netbook and network here I’m not experiencing any slowdowns.

Comment by techxplorer — October 31, 2008 @ 11:25 am

2. I can confirm that this also makes a big difference when using the PortableApps.com version of Firefox 3 for Windows.

System: P4 2.4GHz, 1Gb RAM, Firefox 3.0.3 with cache disabled running on Corsair 16Gb Flash Voyager pendrive.

Many thanks!

Comment by Andy Towler — November 2, 2008 @ 12:16 pm

3. I also experienced this one but in a very strange way.
    After that I close firefox I still see firefox demon running in process list and consuming a lot of system resources.
    So my solution was downgrade to firefox 2…

Comment by emposha — November 2, 2008 @ 9:42 pm

4. Link: Oliver Bell’s Weblog » Blog Archive » IPv6 roundup, Monday 3/11/08
  5. ok, so please tell me how to disable IPV6. I am nto technical but I can follow directions.

Comment by cj — December 10, 2008 @ 6:12 am

6. thenkyu

Comment by mırc — January 10, 2009 @ 6:27 am

7. Thank you

Comment by Mirc — January 12, 2009 @ 1:44 pm

8. thenkyuo

Comment by mırc — January 12, 2009 @ 1:45 pm

9. The new Chrome is also slow when running some apps. I tried to find out how to disable IPv6 (thats in case IPv6 is actually what causing it to be slow) but couldn’t find that. Any ideas?

Comment by Sam — February 5, 2009 @ 10:29 am

10. Link: More Eee-PC Firefox speed tweaks | Roy Tanck's weblog
  11. I’m so glad I stumbled across this, I was about ready to throw my Mini9 out the window. This little trick sped Firefox right up in WinXP. I haven’t gotton it to not respond yet! As for the chrome fix, add this to the shortcut to chrome right after chrome.exe –new-safe-browsing IT WORKED WONDERS on my Mini9

Comment by Jon — June 25, 2009 @ 3:07 am

12. Yeah, flash is slow on Linux. Damn, I really hate flash, I don’t get why such a technology has made such a breakthrough. And it really sucks that we are now at the merci of Adobe that, as all proprietary companies, ignores Linux completely. That is wy we use open source, to escape the evils of lock in and freedom deprivation when one company dictates your possibilites. Annoying!!!!

Markus

Comment by Markuss — July 25, 2009 @ 1:13 am

13. There’s absolutely no reason to panic and switch to another browser. Here’s the simple and quick way to speed it up:

Comment by Dawood — August 4, 2009 @ 10:50 am