Another quick WP-Cumulus update

Several users have contacted me about the same issue with WP-Cumulus this week. On non-English (and mostly European) language blogs some of the tags would display either very small or humongously big. This turned out to be caused by internationalization of numbers in the inline style sheets in WordPress’ tag cloud. I have no idea why this only popped up now, but the Flash movie wasn’t built to handle 9,55pt tags (instead of 9.55pt).

Version 1.17 fixes this issue, and adds a highlight color setting.

Oh, and Ryan Tomlinson has ported WP-Cumulus to BlogEngine.NET. More about his project here.

1. Link: Snyggt etikettmoln | Hjälp med WordPress - Sennbrink Konsult
  2. hello!

I had updated this plugin.

But I don’t know how to add other languages in updated version.

Comment by Goonerholic — November 17, 2008 @ 3:12 pm

3. @Boonerholic: You’ll have to create a modified version of the new swf by going though my tutorial again.

Comment by Roy — November 17, 2008 @ 7:56 pm

4. Hey!
    I’m completely in love with your plugin. I was envisioning something quite similar but using NASA’s World Wind. This is WAY easier!

The reason I wanted to do it is to use as a navigation tool.

From that I mean that the globe would show categories, then when clicked, it would show either the sub-pages or the sub categories and on until you get to the title of the post itself.

I see that the number of viewable entries is a limitation, unless the paradigm is made into a “conveyor belt” rather than a globe.

All in all it really rocks though. So, nice work!

Comment by monkeyman — November 18, 2008 @ 3:39 pm

5. Hi
    Really like this plugin for WP and have used it from v1.14.

I am currently using WP 2.6.2 and when I upgraded to v1.17 the swf fails to show, despite all parameters being present, so I am marking time with 1.14 instead.

Have you possibly changed a requirement to necessitate that WP be higher than 2.6.3 in order to use v1.17?

Thanks so much for your work, I really appreciate it.

Ally

Comment by Ally — November 23, 2008 @ 4:13 am

6. All versions of Cumulus should work on WordPress 2.3 and higher. Did you use the automatic plugin upgrade thingy? That sometimes corrupts the swf file.

Comment by Roy — November 23, 2008 @ 3:29 pm

7. great plugin!!
    I will write some review about this plugin soon.

Comment by Mus_ — November 25, 2008 @ 5:14 am

8. Hi i updated it today and know its not working?? any ideas! check out the sidebar its supposed to display under T@gs! help plz!!!

Comment by BlairH — November 27, 2008 @ 10:09 am

9. Hola Roy!he instalado el plugin cumulus y me dice que hace falta el flash 9 o superior,,y yo tengo ubuntu intrepid ibex y tengo instalado el 10.Cual puede ser el problema?
    Un saludo,,te añado a mis feeds!

Comment by Novatilla — November 27, 2008 @ 12:47 pm

10. Hi BlairH. This sometimes happens when you use the automatic plugin update feature in WP. Could you try manually uploading the latest files, overwriting the ones currently on your server?

Comment by Roy — November 27, 2008 @ 2:01 pm

11. Legend man!! thanks!! really appreciate it!
    Regards.

Blair.H

Comment by BlairH — November 27, 2008 @ 4:40 pm

12. Hi there, thanks for the great plugin.

In these iPhone years it would be great if the alternative text (shown on non-flash platforms) would be something like the “Simple Tags” plugin, thus retaining the tags cloud/links functionality even without flash. What do you thing about this?

Comment by Luca — December 3, 2008 @ 12:31 pm

13. Dear Roy,

your plugin is great. i need some special aplication: is possible to pack your flash into web banner form? So just flash file, without coding?

For sure you can (I am not programmer, just user and WordPress worshipper).

Regards from Slovenia,

Bostjan

Comment by Bosstjanz — December 5, 2008 @ 2:35 pm

14. Hi Bosstjanz. The short answer is ‘no’, but there’s a ‘but’ as well.

The flash movie needs to get its tags from somewhere. Most banners need to be a single file, so this would require you to place them inside the flash movie’s code. That takes a little coding.

On the upside, the movie fits itself into whatever dimensions you give it, so literally fitting it into say 468*60 wont’s be much of a problem (the tags will be tiny though, a rectangle type ad is probably best).

Comment by Roy — December 5, 2008 @ 4:21 pm

15. Link: Snyggt etikettmoln | Sennbrink Konsult
  16. Do you know if is compatible with WordPress 2.7?

Best regards and Thank you.

Also could you please tell me which settings and colors are you using with WP-Cumulus in this site?

It looks very web 2.0 and I would like to try it on my site.

Comment by Nehemoth — December 14, 2008 @ 12:12 am

17. Very slick. What would be nice is for a small image to be included before (or after) the tag text, such as a small logo.

Comment by Chas — December 16, 2008 @ 7:10 pm

18. Hy Roy … I am Dan form Romania and i have a Personal Blog on Blogspot … how can i add The wp-cumulus on my blog ??? Please Help!

Thank You! and keep on the good job !

Comment by Geordan — January 25, 2009 @ 4:50 pm

• Hi Geordan. You might need both this and this

Comment by Roy — January 26, 2009 @ 4:25 pm

19. Hello!
    I’m see that you do this plugin for WP, but i want to ask you if this could work in tumblr, because i have my blog in that service and woul like to use it in there. Thanks. Greetings

Comment by Javi — January 28, 2009 @ 9:02 pm

• Hi Javi. There currently isn’t a tumblr port, so be all means, go ahead and create one :)

Comment by Roy — January 29, 2009 @ 9:40 am

20. Hi Roy!
    Thanks for great plugin!

I’ve use cumulus on idnnews.com and it doesn’t shows an unicode tags:
    .рф
    .中国
    .рф домены
    it shows only dots
    Have an idea how to fix it?

Thanks!!
    Sergey

Comment by idn — February 7, 2009 @ 5:14 am

• @idn: See the FAQ for more info on how to add your language.

Comment by Roy — February 10, 2009 @ 12:03 pm

21. First off, many thanks for releasing it as opensource….
    Added it to my site running phpBB3 and Stargate Portal…
    Although not 100% complete it looks great as a block…

I think I read you can make the background transparent. am I right?

Comment by Mike (Michaelo) — March 24, 2009 @ 1:16 am

22. Hi Roy, Got both the widget in WP running and Flickr Tag cloud.

Two requests, the widget works wonders, no worries :)

The Flickr cloud:

1. any way to dynamically change the images. They get boring after a while

2. Anyway to direct the URLs for the Flickr output to specific pages?

Thanks for all your help.

David

Comment by David DelMonte — March 24, 2009 @ 12:54 pm

• @Mike: Yes, the movie supports Flash’s wmode transparent setting.

@David: The Flickr widget simply uses the images in your feed. Easiest way to get new ones is to post new images on Flickr :). The RSS feed also provides the urls, so there’s no way to change them.

Comment by Roy — March 24, 2009 @ 3:18 pm

23. Roy, I must be missing something. I have dozens of photos in my flickr folder, yet the same dozen or so get seen every time. I will look on Flickr to see a way to reorder them, but if you have any ideas, I’d be happy to hear’em.

Thanks as usual.

David

Comment by David DelMonte — March 24, 2009 @ 3:43 pm

24. @david: That’s right. You can’t reorder them. What I meant was that since the widget will show the last 20, you need to add new ones. I can see how this can be inconvenient. A solution might be to create a set on Flickr, and put the 20 images you want in there. If you use the RSS feed for that new set with the widget, you can easily remove and add images by changing the contents of the set.

Comment by Roy — March 24, 2009 @ 4:00 pm

25. Got it. Thanks again Roy!! What are you working on next :)

David