WordPress plugin: Footer Stuff

I’m testing a little plugin I whipped up in 15 minutes on this blog. It allows you to copy paste code snippets into a text area (located on an options page under ‘Design’). That code is then inserted into you blog’s footer without the need to edit any template files.

I can’t believe there isn’t a plugin already that does this. Doesn’t everyone have lots of little code snippets that need to be added between the body tags of the blog? Doesn’t everyone hate having to copy those from one theme to the next when switching themes? Am I missing something?

Would any of you consider using this? Should I try developing this into something worth releasing?

1. I think this might be very interesting. Indeed for use with analytics, adsense etc. when switching templates it would come in handy!

Comment by Leon — December 17, 2008 @ 12:42 pm

2. Link: Posts about WordPress Plugins as of December 17, 2008 | The Lessnau Lounge
  3. I’ll be interested in trying that out. Hope you push through with it.

Comment by Busby SEO Test Gary Viray — December 18, 2008 @ 2:42 am

4. Geeks may not like it as they want to do it by themselves and maintain the code. But it will be good for lazy bloggers and novice guyz who doesn’t have any basic knowledge of html or php.

Comment by Sara P — December 18, 2008 @ 6:43 am

5. Actually, I meant to aim this at people who do know HTML, but would like to more easily maintain the snippets in their footer. As you might have noticed, I switched themes last night, and it was a real treat not to have to copy these snippets from one theme to the next.

Novice users will probably be better off with dedicated plugin (such as those for Google Analytics), but if you have more than a few this will be a cleaner solution.

Comment by Roy — December 18, 2008 @ 8:50 am

6. Simple but useful.. This function should be part of wordpress itsself.

Comment by Free Bets — December 21, 2008 @ 8:08 pm

7. yes please! and keep me updated when it is ready!
    this is aN AMAZING IDEA!
    Actually… it would be even better if this plugin let you insert code as well on the “header section”, don’t you think?

Comment by Nelson — December 22, 2008 @ 6:45 am

8. Hi Nelson. I was already thinking about adding in a way to add to the header as well, so I might just do that for the initial release. Which is imminent by the way, because my hosting request at wordpress.org has just been approved.

Comment by Roy — December 22, 2008 @ 10:46 am

9. Is it in beta ;) count me in for testing when it is ready! Tnx in advance.

Comment by Janez — January 19, 2009 @ 9:59 pm

10. Roy, I was looking for something like this on the wordpress directory but since they have updated to 2.7 I cannot find anything that I search for. The tags they use just don’t work for me so until you posted this I would never have found it and it’s a great plugin that I will use for all my blogs. Nice work.

Comment by Mark Harrison — February 1, 2009 @ 12:32 am

11. take a look at this generic solution.

Comment by pete — June 1, 2009 @ 10:30 pm

• Sniplets looks amazing. I haven’t tried it, but it looks like a more flexible solution indeed. Thanks.

Comment by Roy — June 2, 2009 @ 4:01 pm