Assorted WP-Cumulus news

There’s been a lot going on in what is becoming the WP-Cumulus ‘universe’. For one thing, the original WordPress plugin has been downloaded well over 60.000 times now. The increase in popularity has pretty much made my inbox explode. I try my very best to at least reply to everyone but it’s getting to the point where I won’t be able to. So please be patient if it takes a while and excuse me if your message slips through.

Support

If (after having read the FAQ) you really need support, try the support forum at wordpress.org and tag your post ‘wp-cumulus‘. I’m a subscribed reader of the RSS feed for that tag, and chances are someone else will come up with a solution before I do. Another great thing is that others can benefit from solutions posted there.

WordPress 2.7

I upgraded only this week, so I guess this is old news. I can now definitely vouch for WP-Cumulus in 2.7. It works. I could see no season why it wouldn’t, but now I’m sure :). I love the new dashboard by the way, but the jury is still out on the look. I’m still using an older version of MU for a client and that did look a whole lot less cluttered and a bit more colorful. Although nowhere near as slick.

SEO considerations

I’ve been contemplating moving the non-flash tag cloud to “noscript” tags, but I’m not quite sure this will work out well. Currently, the regular HTML tag could is placed in an invisible div. This already looks like keyword stuffing, and using noscript might make that even more so. I wouldn’t want thousands of people to get Google penalties because of me. Any advice is welcome.

Ports

Cumulus is also still getting ported to other CMSs, many of which I had no idea existed :). I try to mention every project here, but I’ve been way behind on those. So here goes:

Thanks

I realized a while ago that I’ve never actually mentioned this. Thanks to everyone who uses this plugin, has contributed ideas and suggestions, ported it to other platforms, donated, or blogged about it. I might not be able to handle the sheer volume at times, but I really do love all the response.

1. This is a great piece. Could you export it out as a flex component?CS3 to Flex I don’t have cs3 or I would do it myself.

Thanks

Comment by CMH — January 17, 2009 @ 4:40 am

2. Sorry about that CS3 to Flex

Comment by CMH — January 17, 2009 @ 4:42 am

3. @DHM: I have no experience with Flex at all, but if you can guide me trough it I’d be more than willing to try.

Comment by Roy — January 17, 2009 @ 8:18 pm

4. Roy,
    Here is a link that walks you through it better than I could Export to Flex in case you hadn’t done it before. Essentially you go the the Adobe website download the Flex 3 sdk and there is an Adobe Flex Component Kit extension included in that. You install it to cs3 using the extension manager then you basically export it out through the command>create flex component. If you follow the instructions up to where you bring it into flex, I could take it from there and then hand it back to you when I am done. Right now there are really no good flex tag clouds out there, this would be appreciated (especially since yours is so cool)!

Thanks
    CMH

Comment by CMH — January 17, 2009 @ 9:36 pm

5. I’ve just ported cumulus to MODx, i’ll release as soon as my website will be online and probably sooner on the MODx forum!

Great work by the way!

Comment by lossendae — January 21, 2009 @ 12:58 pm

6. Your cloud has a problem. I can’t add another flash based plugin with your cloud activated.

Could you fix that bug?

Comment by Ben Vess — January 27, 2009 @ 11:01 pm

7. Hi Ben. Can you be more specific? Which plugins, when combined, are causing issues for you? What are the symptoms? And did you check your website for markup errors? Those can cause all kinds of weirdness…

Comment by Roy — January 28, 2009 @ 9:15 am

What is the markup needed for the multiple colours in cumulus?

Comment by lossendae — January 29, 2009 @ 3:12 am

• Hi lossendae. I updated this post a few days ago. It now has pretty up-to-date info on how to use the Flash movie.

Comment by Roy — January 29, 2009 @ 9:42 am

9. Hello Roy!

First I’d like to thank you for this excellent plugin. Since I’ve seen it I have wanted to use it. The only problem was, I don’t use WordPress, I use Expression Engine. Notice how I said it “was” a problem, lol. I figured out how to do it via a Blogger port. Of course, there’s some hand-coding to do as I didn’t make a direct plugin but I’m satisifed now.

I’ll be making a detailed blog post about the details later on this afternoon. You can add yet another port of your increasingly popular plugin. Thanks again.

Comment by NetOperator Wibby — February 1, 2009 @ 2:32 pm

10. hi hallo western,im asian tell me how to make tags ,like fliying around tell e more thank a lot youre the best…

Comment by kurniadi — February 3, 2009 @ 10:28 am

11. Regarding your fear of “keyword stuffing” and Google…

SWFObject will overwrite the contents of the target DIV, so just keep your HTML version inside that DIV.

Spiders like Google, and visitors without JavaScript or the required version of Flash will see the HTML version by default. Where qualified, the JavaScript will overwrite the HTML with the Flash and those viewers will see the Flash version.

You should be fine in that scenario.

Comment by James Hicks — February 3, 2009 @ 6:58 pm

12. Hi, Roy, please make “WP-Cumulus” working with UTF-8

Comment by Marius — February 10, 2009 @ 10:28 am

• @Marius: If only it were that simple…

Comment by Roy — February 10, 2009 @ 12:12 pm

13. I just wanted to let you know that I used your flash movie for a digital art project … I made a tag cloud from a twitter search with the twitter api, python, natural language processing toolkit, and your cloud. It’s not 100% finished (this is basically what I could do before handing it in and getting a bunch of great ideas from the class that I’m going to start implementing).

Anyway, it’s currently sitting at http://glass-slipper.net/twitter/ — thanks for your great and easy-to-adapt flash video.

Comment by Kath Blair — April 22, 2009 @ 1:47 am

14. Hi Kath. You should probably get in touch with Edward, who did http://tweet3d.com/ . Seems like you’re both working on similar things.

Comment by Roy — April 23, 2009 @ 8:45 am