Does anyone else’s Eee-PC power adapter look like this?

Eee-PC 701 power adapterI wrote a few days ago about how I’d bought my daughter a somewhat older model Eee-PC. In that post I mentioned that I didn’t like the AC adapter that came with this netbook. I’ve always thought very highly of the build quality of Asus products, but this thing is downright dangerous.

The adapter plug for euro sockets (the black thingy in the pictures) came in a separate envelope, so it might have been added by the store where I got the laptop. Can anyone tell me if their adapter for the 701 model looks the same?

As you can clearly see in the second picture, bare metal running 230 volts of electricity is exposed to the touch when the adapter is in a wall socket. With two small children running around the house I have to take all sorts of measures to be able to safely charge the laptop.

No matter how hard I press the two pieces together, the weight of the whole thing pulls it down causing the metal pins to become exposed. Can anyone confirm getting the same type of adapter + euro plug? Has anyone contacted Asus about this? Any quick fixes that do not involve wrapping the whole thing in duck tape?

UPDATE: Asus has just assured me by email that this is not the the right adapter for The Netherlands. They adviced to either get a (3rd?) party replacement or contact the supplier. I’ve already done the latter. Asus’ tech support was great by the way. My faith in them has been fully restored.

UPDATE2: PCGlobe was kind enough to send me another converter thingy, and this one works a lot better. They explained that Ruby’s Eee-PC is indeed an American model, and that that’s why it was so cheap.

1. I bought my daughters the same laptops in the US and we also sometimes use the adapter you have pictured. The best advice I could give you is to either tape it together or get an adapter that lays flat on the ground. I have one that I bought in Singapore that supports multiple country plugs. You could probably also find them in Chinese shops.

btw. I LOVE asus nl service. I had dealings with them several years ago.

Comment by South African Geek Dad — January 17, 2009 @ 12:59 am

2. Got the same problem.
    Looks bad and works bad,
    for one second I had the hope that my adapter for the HP printer would fit.
    But that was onlye for one second, it did not fit.

Bad.

Comment by Jeroen de Gouw — January 17, 2009 @ 3:02 pm

3. I’ve not heard back from my supplier, but what it comes down to is that this is not OK and any machine delivered with this adapter should be returned. But it also seems that the foreign versions are the ones that are offered very cheap.

Comment by Roy — January 17, 2009 @ 8:21 pm

4. I have an EEE 701 in the UK which came with a different but equally poor quality plug adaptor.

Comment by CharlieO — February 2, 2009 @ 11:26 am

5. I have a Spanish bought Asus eeePC 900HA.

The mains adapter is of low quality and mine broke.
    I looked inside and a magnet with a poorly wound (hand wound?) copper coil. Wasn’t fixed to the circuit board except for a blob of Silicon paste and the thin copper coil wires.
    Two of the hair thin copper wires had snapped under the weight of the coil.
    Looking inside makes me scared for anyone else who has mains electricity running through this thing.

I have ordered a replacement from the UK from a third-party source via Amazon.
    It looks to be a different construction … hopefully a lot higher quality.

I didn’t have the black pin adapter in the photos just the white AC/DC converter.
    If you have this type of adapter, please seriously consider spending £15 on a replacement – they look to be very badly made.

Comment by Geoff Forster — October 12, 2010 @ 3:59 pm

6. I’m running into a similar problem and I don’t think it will be easy to find an adapter plug that works fine with an ac power supply like the one in the pictures (mine’s is just like yours) but I’m glad to know that there actually exists good quality adapters on the market as you stated on your post. I’m hoping to find one that works out for me. And it’s really great that you managed to negotiate with the store that sold you the netbook and get another adapter plug, wish I had the same luck!

Comment by ac to dc converter — March 20, 2012 @ 6:08 am