Google Sync for Symbian S60 limited on purpose?

Google SyncYesterday, Google announced a new beta version of their Sync service. It’s exactly what many Google Calendar users have been waiting for. It lets you synchronize your contacts and calendar events between ‘gcal’ and your iPhone, Blackberry or Windows Mobile smartphone. There’s also a Symbian (SyncML) version, but that does contacts only. But what puzzles me is why.

I’ve been using GooSync to sync my calendar, and their free service has been great. It’s a little limited (no contacts, one calendar only), but it works flawlessly. GooSync uses SyncML, an open standard supported by many handset and PDA manufacturers. So when I read about Google own SyncML option I was fully expecting it to sync my calendar. But alas. Google’s implementation does contacts only.

This got me thinking. Symbian made headlines last year because it plans to go open source. That means they’ll be entering Android territory. Perhaps Google’s little robot isn’t planning on a long time symbiosis with Nokia’s mobile platform? They wouldn’t… or would they?

1. Have you tried out Vufone? http://www.vufone.com.
    They support sync with Google calendar and contacts as well as file management.

Comment by Yuval — February 10, 2009 @ 7:21 pm

2. I was also wondering why Google didn’t include support for syncing calendars with symbian.

I tried various syncing solutions like goosync and caldav with thunderbird connected to funambol. I found a really good one that does contacts and calendar syncing from here:

Click “Try Seven” then choose your device. You can install over the air.

In their forum at:

there’s a FAQ that has “How long can I use this beta version/when does it expire?”

The answer is “There is an expiration date built in, but for this beta program, we’ve set it for 10 years from the date of installation. So for practical purposes, the beta will be usable until we either shut it down or decide to migrate to something else for business reasons. ”

I find that this has been the best calendar/contacts solution for my N85 at least until Google has official calendar sync support for symbian.

Comment by jorel314 — February 10, 2009 @ 11:36 pm

3. Today, I’ve tried to synchrnize the calendar with my Nokia S60 phone and it worked. Once!
    I’ve found my phone events in my Google Calendar.
    Now, it’s not working anymore. I get an error message “Invalid host address”.

Comment by crocsi — February 10, 2009 @ 11:57 pm

4. try this for syncing s60 with gcal: http://s60addons.com/calsync

Comment by Abhishek Kumar — February 12, 2009 @ 4:54 am

5. vufone is great. tested it and it is much more than just a Google sync – it also syncs your photos, videos, music, messages and allow sharing with Flickr, Picasa, Facebook.

Most importantly – the sync is automatic and hassle free.

good work vufone.

Comment by VisionX — February 12, 2009 @ 2:30 pm

6. calsyncS60 is great, and free.

Comment by Eric in Cupertino — February 15, 2009 @ 8:39 am

7. I use scheduleworld.com, though I must say I’ve had some issues with contact or event duplication.

Comment by FlintZA — February 24, 2009 @ 4:19 pm

8. calsyncS60 is great, but not free anymore :(

Comment by Linus — May 4, 2009 @ 12:08 pm

9. same “problem” with scheduleworld. great, but now they charge more than USD 30,– per year

Comment by Wildsau — May 25, 2009 @ 11:00 am

10. I love Google products. I use Google calendar to send myself an SMS each Wednesday night to remind me to put out the garbage and I use Gmail to back up my business emails.

I have an forwarder on my hosting that forwards all incoming emails to a Gmail account and in Thunderbird I have it set to send a copy of all outgoing emails to the same account.

I can’t believe how often I use the Gmail search facility to find stuff I’ve lost, usually receipts and passwords.

Comment by Rob Johnson — April 4, 2010 @ 7:51 am

11. Ummmmmm google sync with symbian. I use it to sync my calendar, contacts and email :-/ Exchange server ;)

Comment by Runar Freyr Thorsteinsson — April 7, 2010 @ 8:08 pm