WP-Cumulus for Flickr anyone?

flickr widget screenshot

This distracted me from client work yesterday. I tried modifying WP-Cumulus to load thumbnail images from a Flickr RSS feed instead of passing it WordPress tags. The results surprised me, because I was expecting to see all sorts of depth sorting weirdness. However, because of the limited number of images and the way I distributed them over the sphere, you can hardly spot any quirks.

Would you like me to pursue this further, and possibly release a WordPress plugin? Or perhaps I could convert it into an HTML widget that works on all types of websites. I’d have to look into that, but it might be fun. And what would I call it? Every cool-sounding name I’ve been able to come up with turned out to be taken by some Web 2.0 startup I knew nothing about :).

UPDATE: Pssttt… click here if you’d like to try this on your blog or website :) .

1. How about FlickrFloater, Flying Flickr or FloatFlick?

Comment by suzero — February 12, 2009 @ 11:58 am

2. I know I would love it.. especially embedding this on a single page. Perhaps with a name like WP-FlickrCumulus you get best of both worlds :)

Comment by Remkus — February 12, 2009 @ 12:20 pm

3. Cumulus was a pun based on the whole cloud metaphor, so it doesn’t really apply here, and I’d actually like to leave the WP bit out as well. I might not make it a WP plugin. Too bad ‘Flickrsphere’ is used as the Flickr equivalent of the blogoshpere.

Thumbsphere?

Comment by Roy — February 12, 2009 @ 12:44 pm

4. There is certainly no reason it has to be exclusive to Flickr, though I don’t know of *any* other online gallery options out there.

You could go old-school dork and call it “Beholder.”

Comment by Olaf Gradin — February 12, 2009 @ 3:09 pm

5. PicFloater, IconCumulus, call it whatever you like, but please RELEASE IT NOW!!!! :-)

Comment by DeepVoid — February 12, 2009 @ 3:15 pm

6. Come to think of it, Tumblr would have been a very logical name for this…

Comment by Roy — February 12, 2009 @ 4:30 pm

7. I think convert it into an HTML widget that works on all types of websites would be superb :)

Comment by Jason Murray — February 13, 2009 @ 2:52 am

8. AMAZING!!!

please make it html

think of the poor bloggers like me

Comment by thesikaleon — February 13, 2009 @ 12:31 pm

9. Cool!

Make it in html too.

Comment by Blahhala — February 13, 2009 @ 1:22 pm

10. This tagcloud is really amazing – we would like to try and convert it to a plain old html installation that takes an array of data from .php or .asp or .jsp or .js and renders the cloud – any guidance on how your arrays are set up and fed into the swf would be helpful!

Beautiful work – and the flickr version is great too.!

Comment by Streamfinder — February 13, 2009 @ 4:59 pm

11. Looks good, I would love to add this to my blog.

Comment by koffiekitten — February 13, 2009 @ 10:47 pm

12. I would call it Flumulus! :D

Comment by R@lf — February 14, 2009 @ 11:00 am

13. I was thinking, if you click on the thumbnail, the flash loads the picture up with a little click to get back to the sphere. This will be such an awesome gallery plugin. Since not everyone uses flickr, support for other img hosting sites will be great.
    +1 on html version

Comment by Jeffrey — February 14, 2009 @ 12:15 pm

• @Jeffrey: I’ll consider that for version 1.1 or 2.0 or whatever :) For now I’m concentrating on getting it to run as a very generic HTML widget, and it’s coming along nicely.

Comment by Roy — February 14, 2009 @ 8:24 pm

14. thanks for the decision to make it in html

you are the best!!!

the WP Culumus is the best pplug in I ever had in my site.

Comment by thesikaleon — February 14, 2009 @ 11:11 pm

15. flickr-orbis? flicr-globus? flickr-horizon? ;)
    I’m waiting for the html widget, I wonder if I manage to make it work with cakephp…

Thanks.

Comment by Robert — February 15, 2009 @ 11:51 am

16. It’s awesome. I’m waiting for your html release. You should name it after yourself because it will probably spread around a lot.

roys photo sphere
    FishTanck or Roys PhotoTanck
    3D thumb sphere
    You could add a snow globe effect to shake it up when you want to see different thumbs if there were a lot of photos.

some dumb ideas for you.

Comment by peacock — February 15, 2009 @ 1:28 pm

17. Link: Flickr Widget will make your photostream fly… | Roy Tanck's weblog
  18. Do you have modifay *.swf to read fail on http://mysite.com/thumbs/ or … , and create special file ( txt , php ,htm or rss2 xml ) to reade link thumbs and pages link … bla bla …

Comment by Thunder — February 27, 2009 @ 6:01 pm

19. @Thunder: I’m not quite sure what you’re saying, but right now the swf is made to work with Flickr feeds exclusively.

Comment by Roy — February 27, 2009 @ 8:39 pm

20. Link: Roytanck My Flickr widget will make your photostream fly… - www.dadyal.info
  21. see mine site how i added it in my theme in a new place www . dadyal .info

Comment by Naeem — March 13, 2009 @ 6:25 pm

22. Thanks for your information i have try it.. GOOD WORK

Comment by saya — July 24, 2009 @ 8:32 am

23. Link: My Flickr widget will make your photostream fly… | Roy Tanck’s weblog « Terremoto BCN
  24. Hey there,

Spent the last hour searching but I am not finding any info if your lovely WP-Cumulus can be used in Tumblr..? I found a list where you’ve shared what the plugin has been ported for, but no Tumblr.

Any ideas?
    Tnx!

Comment by Maria K-W — October 3, 2011 @ 9:33 pm

• That list is probably a little outdated by now, but if Google can’t find it, I certainly can’t :). Since Tumblr is a hosted solution, I’m not sure it’s possible at all.

Comment by Roy — October 5, 2011 @ 9:14 am

25. Thanks, Roy.. Problem is – I saw someone on Tumblr with it!!! But didn’t know I’d want it at that time lol. I am sure it can be adapted, so will keep digging.
    Best,