Amazing WP-Cumulus javascript port!

wp-cumulus javascriptI never thought this to be possible, but Dawid Fatyga just emailed me about his ‘Stratus‘ project. He’s recreated the 3D Flash movie from WP-Cumulus in Javascript. Sure, it’s no match for Flash’s ultra-smooth anti-aliased scaling (yet?), but that doesn’t really make it any less impressive.

Dawid stressed that it’s still very much a work in progress, and there’s still a lot that can be optimized. I had no success running it in Chrome, but it does work in Firefox. I’m sure that can be fixed. And with Chrome’s ultra-fast Javascript engine it will probaly fly.

Dawid is working towards a possible WordPress plugin implementation, which might mean some healthy competition for WP-Cumulus. I’d love to see if Javascript can beat Flash at its own game (being animation).

P.S. Dawid just emailed me that he’s only been working with Javascript for a few days. Go figure.

1. cool, does java means that multi language support is possible?
    just a computer noob here.

Comment by Jeffrey — February 15, 2009 @ 3:50 pm

2. Hi Jeffrey,

Sure thing! Because it is generating some HTML code so You can put there everything You want, e.g. a fancy UTF-8 letter or even Image (but I do not guarantee same performance as in this case). I am planing to write this kind of customization in the future.

Of course this letter must be handled by font You use and this font must be installed on Your page visitor’s computer. Flash gives that advantage You provide the font, so it doesn’t need to be installed on end-user’s computer.

Have a nice day,

Dawid

Comment by Dawid Fatyga — February 15, 2009 @ 4:54 pm

3. Actually Dawid, that has proven to be a major problem with the Flash version. Languages like Chinese, when fully embedded, increase the SWF’s size to several megabytes. Way too heavy. Flash 10 has a few new features that might make a true utf-8 version possible, but for now I can not offer a Chinese version.

Comment by Roy — February 15, 2009 @ 9:02 pm

4. Link: links for 2009-02-16 | This Inspires Me
  5. hi , is it possible to use wp-cummulus for website that using php without using wordpress engine?

thanks

Comment by lagibosen — March 2, 2009 @ 8:11 am

6. Hi, I want to know if this wounderfull application works only under the WP or I can use it in other ASP Net sites.
    If yes the answer can you tell me how can I make a download of this?

Please let me know,

Thanks a lot!

Comment by Christian — March 4, 2009 @ 12:56 pm

• Hi Christian. The javascript port doesn’t even work under WP yet, afaik, but the Flash version can definitely be used in other contexts. See this post for more info.

Comment by Roy — March 4, 2009 @ 1:09 pm

7. hi

i want to use WP-Cumulus in my asp.net site. can i use WP-Cumulus in my asp.net site , if yes how

Comment by joice mathew — July 7, 2009 @ 7:54 am

8. Hi Jeffrey,
    i am an asp.net programmer , and i definitely love your WP-Cumulus. BUT the questions are i am not familiar with WordPress or wp-cumulus and the worse is i didnt have the PHP+MySQL platform.
    What i have to do is first building the PHP+MySQL platform second learning WordPress and wp-cumulus ? or there are a faster way that associated with asp.net , you know i am an asp.net programmer.
    thanks a lot

Comment by Johnson — October 14, 2009 @ 8:27 am

• Johnson, if you have no need for WordPress, this post will guide you though the process of using the tag cloud movie in other projects. No PHP needed.

Comment by Roy — October 14, 2009 @ 10:10 am

9. is beautifull danke sou much

Comment by lulitha — January 21, 2010 @ 4:52 am

10. Here is a similar WordPress plugin called WP-Cirrus:

Comment by Jay — June 5, 2010 @ 5:25 pm

11. I recently integrated this with our blogging platform, ecpod.com.

You can see it in action here: http://raisingrockstar.ecpod.com (English) and in Chinese here: http://piggypeach.ecpod.com.

I like the original very much, but needed something with full UTF-8 support.

It does have some issues with IE, but as Roy said: they can be fixed.

I had to reduce the tag count from 65 to around 20-25, but apart from that it works really well. GREAT JOB Dawid!

Comment by Mike — November 8, 2010 @ 6:09 am

12. nice plugin, but I can’t understand how make transparent fon?
    sorry for my english.

Comment by Max — February 23, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

13. hi roy,

first of all, thank you very much for releasing the sources!
    I’ve been trying to build a cloud similar to yours and in my first approach did all the code and calculations on my own with javascript.. yet was very unhappy with the performance – the rotation seemed to sluggish (visible jumps from one scale to the next). therefore I recreated the whole thing with flash. same problem.

as a third attempt, I ditched everything again and built a new flash cloud based on your code – as the wp-cumulus demos I’ve seen so far seem very smooth and as you point out in this post, it should be.

anyway: the problem has not gone away… I experience the same issue as before. do you have any idea what could cause the animation to degrade like this?

best regards,
    remote

Comment by remote — August 27, 2011 @ 2:29 pm

• font embedding does the trick – somehow the kerning of the system font goes mad when scaled.

Comment by remote — August 28, 2011 @ 4:19 pm