My Flickr widget will make your photostream fly…

Roy Tanck‘s Flick Widget requires Flash Player 9 or better.

If you like, you can now try the Flickr widget I blogged about a little while ago. This is the first time I’ve released something like this, but I’m pretty confident it’ll work. I’ve set up a page on this blog where you can enter your Flickr feed, along with some other details, and create your personalized version of the widget. It’s generates an HTML code snippet that you can copy-paste into your website. In fact I just used it to create the widget embedded on the left.

One thing I was concerned about was where I should put the Flash file. If this thing should become popular, it could cause lots of traffic. That’s why I chose to host it at Amazon’s S3 service. I’ll blog some more about this soon because it’s is an interesting service, but what it comes down to is that S3 is an extremely reliable way of hosting files. Even if there’s a little hick-up here at roytanck.com, the widget will still be served. That means no big empty hole in your blog, unless Flickr is down. Or S3. Both highly unlikely.

Click here to get your own Flickr widget

Let me know if you run into anything. I’m pretty sure the widget code will remain the same for the foreseeable future. All URLs are final, so if you successfully generate the widget, it will continue to function, even if I need to make little adjustments to the form or the Flash movie later on.

1. Link: WP-Cumulus for Flickr anyone? | Roy Tanck's weblog
  2. Link: Nieuw Flash Flickr widget | koffiekitten
  3. Great work, I just added it to my blog.

Comment by koffiekitten — February 15, 2009 @ 9:42 pm

4. Awesome! Will this swf accept tags as a standalone version?
    For instance, if I returned my own non-Flickr feed?
    Great work.

Comment by Dudditz — February 15, 2009 @ 11:06 pm

5. @Dudditz: This was built exclusively for Flickr, but if you point it to an XML file or feed with exactly the same layout it might work. I’m not sure you’re allowed to use the same XML namespaces and such though.

Comment by Roy — February 15, 2009 @ 11:12 pm

6. Love it and put it on my blog too :-)

Comment by suzero — February 15, 2009 @ 11:44 pm

7. Great. I do use it on my Blog for Flickr – I just thought it would be awesome ro have it display media thumbnails on video share site I have also. Thanks

Comment by Dudditz — February 15, 2009 @ 11:47 pm

8. thanks of your offering. that’s really cool ! :)

Hope to see the “WP-Cumulus” chinese version releasing soon. that’s fantastic !

thanks again.

Comment by fox hsu — February 16, 2009 @ 3:01 am

when you blog about Amazon S3 would you be interested in talking about CloudBerry Explorer a freeware client for Amazon S3?

Thanks
    Andy

Comment by Andy — February 16, 2009 @ 9:49 am

10. Great files! any chance you would release the code for this one as well…i would love to port this to accept image feeds from other places.

thanks

sam

Comment by sam staley — February 16, 2009 @ 11:45 pm

• To be quite frank, I’m not sure whether I want to release the source code for this. On the one hand its not very GPLish of me to keep this closed source when Cumulus isn’t, but the license does allow me to. And considering how I’ve set this up as a service, not an install -based software I’m weighing options. If other people start hosting alternate version that would make things kinda messy.

Adding support for more types of feeds is definitely on my radar for future versions.

Comment by Roy — February 17, 2009 @ 2:39 pm

11. Link: Amazon S3 - Pay-Per-View online file storage | Roy Tanck's weblog
  12. Link: .::É Nóis::. » Fotografia, a arte de um clique!
  13. great,
    i’m not a Flickr user, but a friend of mine, who i apreciate his work (take a look for Davi Kanno Flickr photos)

Cumulus & Flickr Wd , good work!

Comment by Ieso Nagata — February 18, 2009 @ 9:32 pm

This is cooler than cool. I work for a community college and would like to implement this on our sites (it would be ideal for art classes to showcase student work. However, I have a few concerns. Do you plan to host these indefinitely? I wouldn’t like to shop it around to instructors/departments without knowing they would be available. Conversely, if I could host the app on my site, that might be different.

I would be willing to host a “thank you/credit” page on our IT site, if you’re interested.

Either way, awesome work!

Comment by Jon — February 19, 2009 @ 3:29 am

15. Hi Jon. Yeah, I’m in this for the long run. That is why I’ve taken a new hosting account just for this widget. I realize it might not catch on , but I wanted to make everything bulletproof in terms of urls and hosting before even releasing this. And in case you’re wondering, it will also remain free forever.

As for credits, I’d appreciate it if you leave the credit link in the widget.

Comment by Roy — February 19, 2009 @ 8:40 am

16. Hi,

I like your widget but I have an idea for another Cumulus project:
    I’m thinking about make the widget not only flickr-rss dedicated so that it become useable for other image-resources. My idea was using it as a kind of “avatar cloud” where all users online are displayed with their avatar-image and username.

Comment by Nigcra — February 19, 2009 @ 1:09 pm

17. Hi Roy. Okay, I’ve conveyed the risks to the instructors (remove the widget/replace with direct flikr URL). I will have them leave the credit link and/or credit you on the same page. Thanks!!

Comment by Jon — February 20, 2009 @ 7:38 pm

18. Well, I plan to use it for showing of Flickr pictures of my mom! :D

How about “MotherFlicker?”

Comment by billz — February 22, 2009 @ 1:34 am

19. It is lovely.. thank you .. :)

Comment by نجاة — February 22, 2009 @ 8:45 am

20. Ok

I’m really seriously looking into this. What I would need is the ability to use this in my own platform (not Flickr).

I’d combine it with a Javascript to make a fully operatable Album. Is it possible to find the Flash sourcecodes somewhere? I’d like to customise it a lot to make bigger sizes possible.

As return I can return the sources of my add-ons.

Comment by Otto — February 22, 2009 @ 5:01 pm

21. Hi Otto. I’ve not released the source code for this. I’m considering doing that, but it would enable anyone to start a similar service, and i”m not sure I want that.

Please contact me by email, so we can discuss this further.

Comment by Roy — February 22, 2009 @ 8:07 pm

22. Link: Flickr Widget - Jimmy’s Blog
  23. I have a problem.

In my Photostream I have many photos but it seems that only a specific number can be visible in the widget.

I think it’s only 20 photos.

Can I fix it someway? thanks

Comment by thesikaleon — February 23, 2009 @ 2:01 am

• @thesikaleon: That’s correct. The movie is designed to display the latest 20 images in an RSS feed. Flickr feeds default to 20 images, and adding significantly more would cause what I call ‘overlapping issues’. Basically, the Flash movie doesn’t handle overlapping images very well when they’re close to eachother. The sphere only has room for about 20 before they start to overlap.

Comment by Roy — February 23, 2009 @ 11:51 am

24. 3d navigator

Comment by stem — February 23, 2009 @ 6:49 am

25. Hi…Ray! This widget it’s cool, love it and put it on my blog! Great work, good luck!

Comment by 达米安 — February 24, 2009 @ 8:33 pm

26. SORRY!!! Roy!

Comment by 达米安 — February 25, 2009 @ 8:34 pm

27. Link: From the makers of Funtastic Photos » Blog Archive » Funtastic Way to display flickr photos on your site/blog.
  28. i very like this one,can you hepl me ?

Comment by huy — March 3, 2009 @ 5:24 am

29. Roy living from,i living vietnam

Comment by huy — March 3, 2009 @ 5:34 am

30. i have to try this one…thx for sharing bro

Comment by Tips Kecantikan — March 3, 2009 @ 9:55 am

31. is there the maximal of the photos we can upload bro?

Comment by Girls Corner — March 3, 2009 @ 10:02 am

32. @GC: It’ll display the last 20 photo’s you uploaded, but don’t let that keep you from using Flickr to upload as many pictures as you like. It’s a great service.

Comment by Roy — March 3, 2009 @ 3:54 pm

33. Hello,

I have a problem with the insertion of your widget, I try to insert the code into a text widget on wordpress but when I valid, the photos do not appear, there is just this text: “Roy Tanck’s Flickr Widget requires Flash Player 9 or better.
    Get this widget at roytanck.com”

My english is very bad, scuse me :(

Comment by lylibellule2008 — March 3, 2009 @ 8:55 pm

34. Hi,
    do you think that would it be very difficult to use last 15 20 uploaded photos of a local coppermine gallery instead of flickr? I’d appreciate it much! thanks

Comment by flapane — March 6, 2009 @ 1:07 am

35. Really awesome pluggin. Thanks a ton dude.

Comment by Rahul — March 9, 2009 @ 12:57 pm

36. Amazing; I put it in my Tumblr blog to replace the comparatively sad Flickr badge! Thanks very much for making it so easy for a novice…(and for allowing a transparent background)!

Comment by Jared — March 11, 2009 @ 8:40 pm

37. Hi Roy, just implemented the flickr cloud. Beautiful work. Many thanks.

Still haven’t gotten the WP stuff down.. Will study on a flight today

Re Flickr: two observations > the images look a bit pixelated. (picky picky), and I have a couple of dozen images now. Is there a way to select random images each time the flash movie is called? Or is there a way I can change the images manually, so I don’t get bored with the same ones?

Many thanks!!!

David

Comment by David DelMonte — March 12, 2009 @ 12:07 pm

• Hi David. Everything that’s being displayed comes from the RSS feed you’ve provided. That contains the last 20 pictures as well as the corresponding Flickr page urls. To change the images you’ll need to upload new images :). Or you can use a tag that you attach to the images you want to display, and then use the RSS feed for that tag.

And yes, pixelation is an issue. The images are only 75px square, so there’s very little resolution to work with. But what’s worse is that a security limitation in Flash makes it impossible to use smoothing on the images because they’re on a different domain (being flickr.com). If they wanted to, Flickr could allow this (by granting Flash better access), but I don’t think they will. In fact they once had this in place and then chose to remove it.

Comment by Roy — March 13, 2009 @ 1:51 pm

38. Flickr: forgot one. How did you make the links from a picture to a page?

TY

David – increasingly a PITA – or I hope not.

Comment by David DelMonte — March 12, 2009 @ 12:08 pm

39. Hi Roy… just discovered your flickr cloud a few days ago (great design!), but it doesn’t seem to be loading for me on your website (except for on this page, entitled “My Flickr widget will make your photostream fly…”), so I’m unable to generate the code for my own Flickr stream. But the WP-Cumulus cloud loads great on all your pages. Am I doing something wrong? I’ve tried on a few different computers & browsers, all with the latest version of Flash… Any ideas?

Thanks!

Matt

Comment by Matt — April 17, 2009 @ 5:23 pm

40. Whoops! Now it’s not loading on this page either… says “Movie not loaded…” when I right click on it in both the sidebar and the main blog example…

Comment by Matt — April 17, 2009 @ 5:38 pm

41. This is a very lovely plugin. Love the fact that the images are sharp. Using it to share our flickr group images on inspiks.com

Comment by Michael T. — June 7, 2009 @ 9:57 pm

42. Link: Fotografia, a arte de um clique! « É Nóis
  43. Link: Tag Cloud Widget : Jewels and Smiths
  44. It would be cool to make it so when you click on one of the photos, it sends a request to open LightBox, Shutter, or some other selectable, non-flash, image pop-up viewer.

Comment by Joe — August 26, 2009 @ 7:32 pm

Thanks for your message.

I returned today (Friday, September 4th – 5:58) because I did not think that you would answer my message.

I don’t get the developer version wordpress.org and I don’t this developer version does exist ?

What is the link to download this version that I could find it ?

I am developing my website in complement I want to implement your plugin but in the case I want to remove (Get this widget at roytanck.com) by the right-click.

Do I have to pay to you for this plugin ?
    If yes how to make and How much it will cost to me to pay it ?

Many thanks, Théo.

Comment by theo — September 4, 2009 @ 4:58 am

46. I love this widget, but I second the idea by Joe (above) – can we please have support for Lightbox or another viewer?

I don’t want to send my site visitors back to Flickr when they click on an image in the sphere, but instead a larger view of the photo when they click on it would be simply awesome!

Comment by Andriy — October 9, 2009 @ 4:47 pm

47. Nice widget, and I have modify your widget just appearance, ok?

Comment by juffan — October 15, 2009 @ 4:26 pm

48. hi roy..i saw that people use widget for words only…but i dun knw how to use it..i can use for photo or image only.. sample here >> http://patiniox.blogspot.com/2009/08/pet-society-recycler-coin-hack-by-manz.html
    how can made it? thx for reply

Comment by unnamed — October 27, 2009 @ 4:27 am

• Hi unnamed. That is Blogumus in action. For WordPress blogs you can use the original, WP-Cumulus.

Comment by Roy — October 28, 2009 @ 8:04 am

49. Link: WP-Cumulus Wolke - Web to Date Forum

Friend, thank you for this wonderful widget, i really liked it. You did good work. Hope will see other great things from you soon. God bless you and your talents.

Comment by Garen — November 16, 2009 @ 10:14 pm