My Flickr widget will make your photostream fly…

Roy Tanck‘s Flick Widget requires Flash Player 9 or better.

If you like, you can now try the Flickr widget I blogged about a little while ago. This is the first time I’ve released something like this, but I’m pretty confident it’ll work. I’ve set up a page on this blog where you can enter your Flickr feed, along with some other details, and create your personalized version of the widget. It’s generates an HTML code snippet that you can copy-paste into your website. In fact I just used it to create the widget embedded on the left.

One thing I was concerned about was where I should put the Flash file. If this thing should become popular, it could cause lots of traffic. That’s why I chose to host it at Amazon’s S3 service. I’ll blog some more about this soon because it’s is an interesting service, but what it comes down to is that S3 is an extremely reliable way of hosting files. Even if there’s a little hick-up here at roytanck.com, the widget will still be served. That means no big empty hole in your blog, unless Flickr is down. Or S3. Both highly unlikely.

Click here to get your own Flickr widget

Let me know if you run into anything. I’m pretty sure the widget code will remain the same for the foreseeable future. All URLs are final, so if you successfully generate the widget, it will continue to function, even if I need to make little adjustments to the form or the Flash movie later on.

1. OHO

Comment by Dennis Duhovny — November 18, 2009 @ 4:42 am

• i m anable to get the URL

Comment by jitender jalwa — October 12, 2011 @ 11:29 am

2. Hi,

Great widget. But I think there is a problem. I used your widget to display my recent favorites on Flickr (I fed the corresponding xml file.) But now, even though I have favorited new pictures which show up before the old ones in the xml file, the widget still displays the old ones. Is your applet caching the xml file in some way? Here is the relevant feed
    and here is what the widget is showing:

Thanks and best regards,

Sam

Comment by Samuel Monnier — December 7, 2009 @ 6:32 am

• Hi Samuel. No, there’s no explicit caching going on, but both the Flash player and your browser may be caching the feed. It’s a little hard to tell, but I think I see the newest image in the feed when I visit your website.

Comment by Roy — December 8, 2009 @ 9:01 am

3. Ok… thanks!

Comment by Samuel Monnier — December 9, 2009 @ 7:04 am

4. Great widget! I tried it, looks cool, thanks Roy

Comment by Yan — December 14, 2009 @ 3:07 am

5. Link: Le petit blog de Mat » Un widget Flickr sympa
  6. Awesome work!
    Thanks

Comment by LW — January 12, 2010 @ 7:31 pm

7. Great widget…much better looking then the Flickr version!

Comment by waterrose — February 6, 2010 @ 6:27 pm

8. Yeah. Beautiful…you’ll see this on my blog soon as well…maybe tomorrow

Comment by Bryan Ogilvie — February 8, 2010 @ 5:46 am

9. Thanks for the explanation and the way Total is way in the implementation of the Code and the site

Comment by ali saad — February 14, 2010 @ 10:35 pm

10. Wow! I started flying before my photos could. Good, simple and easy widget.

Comment by sanjeeta kk — February 18, 2010 @ 8:15 am

11. hi, i’ve seem to be having a problem with your widget …. I copy the the code, and it doesn’t do anything. Check my website on the “contacto” tab, right side, next to the twitter icon…

could it be that the website is on flash ?
    could it be that the admin editor for pages is the FCKeditor and it doesn’t handle the html code properly ?

tell me what you think…

Comment by Mauro Rodrigues — February 27, 2010 @ 3:36 pm

• Mauro, yes, the issue is that your site is Flash. This may sound strange, the widget being part flash and all, but it’s nearly impossible to get to work in a Flash website.

Comment by Roy — February 28, 2010 @ 2:50 pm

12. Blogroll relatives aint to elevated :P but i am not the admin :P Just Telling :P :D

Comment by facebook girls layouts — February 28, 2010 @ 8:10 pm

13. I am using images at .jpg 200×215 150px and have tried 124×122 75px and still some of the images come like zoomed into it. I have words in the center of the images which only some show all the words, others show only a portion liked they are only seeing the center section of the image. What am I doing wrong?

Comment by bob — March 22, 2010 @ 1:15 am

• Bob, the movie crops all images to a square aspect ratio. You can remove this limitation if you know you’re using the open source version and know your way around AS3.

Comment by Roy — March 22, 2010 @ 12:18 pm

14. Thanks for your reply. Still have a question. I made 9 images, each using the same method. Some come with their text in the center of the image and others without. At first I thought I could make the image smaller in px or res and impact the way they appear, however it seems to not impact the appearance. If one image works and others don’t but were made in the same way, what could cause that?

Comment by bob — March 22, 2010 @ 5:33 pm

• Bob, what should happen is that all the images are cropped to be square and displayed at the same size (except for the perspective, which of course makes then smaller when further away). If you were able to get different sizes, that must have been a glitch. The square aspect was chosen because Flickr supplies its thumbnails that way, and because I needed to keep the images from overlapping.

Comment by Roy — March 25, 2010 @ 3:14 pm

15. Was able to overcome everything buy marking on the images going wrong the portion of the image that is actually being displayed, then creating a new image from same size, however loading the copy of the image into the smaller portion of the picture that I knew would actually be displayed. Now all pictures are displayed as intended. You probably don’t notice that portion of the test image that is not appearing because it’s a big picture of a flower.

Comment by bob — March 26, 2010 @ 4:25 pm

16. wow wow! thanks, plugins add http://www.sunset.gen.tr/ web site ;)

Comment by SuNSeT — March 26, 2010 @ 7:51 pm

17. Love this so much – Thank you – it is beautiful

Comment by Melissa — April 17, 2010 @ 7:56 pm

18. Hello,
    thank you for this great tool. I already use it at my website http://www.Taxi-Transfers.cz and I am planning to add it to the other sites as well. It works perfectly.
    Martin

Comment by Martin — April 24, 2010 @ 7:12 pm

19. LOVE it! The only thing I find is that is lags when I scroll down a page. Is that normal?

Comment by Rachel — May 1, 2010 @ 8:30 am

• Hi Rachel. That’s Flash I’m afraid, and not exclusive to this particular flash movie (although it may be a little more CPU-intensive than some).

Comment by Roy — May 4, 2010 @ 3:45 pm

20. Hello, I have just added your beautiful flickr widget to my blog, when i did it on your site, it previewed perfectly but on my site it says,
    Roy Tanck’s Flickr Widget requires Flash Player 9 or better.
    Do i need to just download flash player 9 or add something to my blog??

I am very new to all of this, any help would be appreciated. thanks, Kerry.

Comment by Kerry — May 2, 2010 @ 6:17 am

• Hi Kerry. WordPress.com does not allow Flash, so you won’t be able to use the widget on a wp.com based blog. Sorry about that, there’s nothing I can do.

Comment by Roy — May 4, 2010 @ 3:41 pm

21. Is there a way tohave the Flickr Slideshow play, instaed of going to the photostream or set?

Comment by Jarvis Grant — May 19, 2010 @ 6:18 pm

22. Thank you very much for this great work I’ve installed in my blog and added it was fantastic, also quoted code to my site and add-on work nicely you can see the albums on my website

Comment by ali saad — May 24, 2010 @ 7:04 pm

23. Very cool widget! Thanks!

Comment by Warren — June 2, 2010 @ 4:39 pm

24. Very cool widget , I am yet to register a flickr account. Btw I have just manage to upload awesome cumulus on blog http://bit.ly/d7qpXJ , thanks for sharing your excellent works.

Comment by wanluqman — June 28, 2010 @ 7:16 am

25. Lovely and easy to use widget!
    I would like the option to change what happens when people click on the image. Like instead of going to the Flickr page it just shows the image in full view without opening a new web page.

Nevertheless though, I love this widget! Thank you for making it!

Comment by Sami — June 30, 2010 @ 9:01 am

• Hi Sami. The image is on Flickr, so that is where you would view the full version. You probably know I have a DIY version for self-hosted images, right?

Comment by Roy — June 30, 2010 @ 6:50 pm

26. Hi,

I hve a problem. This is a very cool Widget in my Blog. It is displayed nearly as it should be.
    The Problem is, that I don’t see the LAST 20 UPLOADED PICTURES!?

I just see the same first 20 Pictures I have uploaded. But not the last one!?

I have regenerate the code; but also in the prewiev there are the old pictures.
    Also I have deleted my cache; the same problem!

So what can I do??

The RSS Feed should be okay. The last entries are th last pictures I have uploaded!?
    But doesn’Ät displayed

Comment by Sebastian Steinhoff — September 28, 2010 @ 1:44 am

• Hi Sebastian. The widget will show the (first 20) images found in the feed. It’s rather dumb in that respect and does nothing but limit the number of images to 20 if needed. Both Flickr have tons of RSS options. Nearly every page has a separate feed. If you’ve added descriptions for your images, you can view a feed’s source to see if the images you were expecting are turning up in the feed.

Comment by Roy — September 28, 2010 @ 12:43 pm

27. so there is no possibillity to order the pictures in picasa webalbum by upload date, so the newest uploads will shown at first?

Thanks very much!

Comment by Sebastian Steinhoff — September 29, 2010 @ 3:15 am

• I assume it’s possible to get a feed from Picasa that order chronologically with the newest first. If not, you could set up a special album with just the 20 pics you’d like to use, and use that album’s feed with the widget.

Comment by Roy — September 29, 2010 @ 2:06 pm

28. Link: My Flickr widget will make your photostream fly… | Roy Tanck’s weblog « Terremoto BCN
    Perfect plugin, but I’m interested to open the Flickr’s image through another viewer like Lightbox in WP.
    For instance, the link to image must have a : rel=”lightbox”, in his url :

Do you think this feature may be enable in your widget ?
    Thank you very much Roy.
    Manu

Comment by Manu — October 27, 2010 @ 10:13 pm

• Hi Manu. The thing is that adding the “rel” argument to the XML won’t do anything. The images are shown within Flash, and Lightbox won’t be able to find them there. I’m not very good at javascript, but in order to have Lightbox show the images, you’ll probably have to rewrite the Flash movie to call a js function directly.

Comment by Roy — November 9, 2010 @ 9:19 am

30. ok, thank you for your answer Roy ! :)

Comment by Manu — November 12, 2010 @ 7:59 pm

31. was trying to get another flash flickr slideshow to work on my wordpress page. something was wrong and didnt work out. put in your code and it is great. i have been using WP-Cumulus, didnt realize you put that widget together also. great stuff, thanks.

question: what determines which images will be shown? most recent 15 images, something like that?

Comment by colby — November 22, 2010 @ 8:04 am

32. disregard my question, just saw it in an earlier post.
    cheers

Comment by colby — November 22, 2010 @ 8:05 am

33. was trying to get another flash flickr slideshow to work on my wordpress page. something was wrong and didnt work out. put in your code and it is great. i have been using

Comment by sboy — December 14, 2010 @ 12:46 am

is it possible to click on each image and to be redirected to a particular url ?
    (i noticed on an other question comment that “The links need to point to a place on the same domain”)
    (and i understood that images cannot be inseted in WP-cumulus)

Comment by corbin — February 1, 2011 @ 11:24 am

35. Thank you Roy …
    and excuse-me because i should have read that
    “Links and target frames can be set per image in the XML”
    i’m gone to try to DIM ;-)

Comment by corbin — February 4, 2011 @ 7:13 pm

36. Cool effect. It displays as WP-Cumulus tag. Use it in my blog

Comment by Christ Paul — July 6, 2011 @ 9:24 am

37. I pasted the code under the text widget, but when I saved it, most of it disappeared. On my Word Press sidebar only a little of the code appears, not the neat floating pictures.

Comment by Joyce T — July 16, 2011 @ 7:05 pm

• Unfortunately, this widget does not work on WordPress.com.

Comment by Roy — July 17, 2011 @ 9:06 am

38. I don’t know how I can Use this widgets when I paste It On my blog it’s not Work

Comment by Ali Arafa — August 19, 2011 @ 12:03 am

39. Hi, I like this widget a lot, and I also love wp-cumulus – is there any way of combining the two? ie. perhaps have images and tags in the cloud together?

Comment by Ana MB — September 7, 2011 @ 10:16 am

• I’ve experimented with that, and the results are “weird”. The elements in the cloud are constantly sorted by depth, and when they “overtake” each other, it’s best if they don’t overlap, especially with images. In my experiments, elements would suddenly “jump in front” of other ones, which didn’t look right.

Comment by Roy — September 7, 2011 @ 2:08 pm

40. On my blog I have photos of my children and grandchildren, recipes and places that are of interest. I need some way to display a lot of them at once.

Comment by liz turner — September 9, 2011 @ 7:15 pm

41. Hello!

I really want to know what to put in feed URL, then, when generating the code for the widget preview appears all in white!

Thank you very much.

Comment by Thaís — September 13, 2011 @ 6:26 pm

42. Hello Roy
    I am from Romnaia, really like Flickr Widget and I implemented in my site, looks great. But I have a small problem, my site’s web has many photos, I want to display other photos in the cloud every time when I return to the cloud. How can I do this without using Picasa albums?
    Mention that work in html.

Thank you very much and excuse my English!

Comment by Eugen — September 26, 2011 @ 12:26 pm

• You could add a script that randomly picks a different RSS feed each time, out of a set of feeds that you’ve prepared.

Comment by Roy — October 3, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

• Thank you for the information but I have no idea how to implement html not know all secrets. Please if you have some lines of code, my code is:

type=”application/x-shockwave-flash” data=”photowidget.swf”

name=”AllowScriptAccess”

This WID This widget Requires Flash Player 9 or better

Thanks again!

Comment by Eugen — October 11, 2011 @ 10:41 am

• Looks like WordPress basically ate all the code in your comment. However, you should be able to simply copy -paste the html into your website.

Comment by Roy — October 12, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

43. Hello!

Thank you very much.

Comment by heroseo — October 9, 2011 @ 9:30 am

• The feed URL needs a Flickr or Picasa RSS feed URL.

Comment by Roy — October 10, 2011 @ 9:20 am

44. Hello,
    I love your flickr widged I pasted the photostream link and my flicker picture were displayed.
    I want to put your widget in my wordpress widget area.
    Could you please tell me how can I add your widget to wordpress?
    Thanks in advance!

Comment by Albert — October 17, 2011 @ 4:59 pm

• As long as you’re not on wordpress.com (they block Flash), you should be able to copy paste the code into a standard text widget.

Comment by Roy — October 19, 2011 @ 1:37 pm

45. I can’t make it work on my page :(

Comment by Taco — November 18, 2011 @ 11:06 am

46. hey! when i post the widget, my images are very grainy and pixeled. is there any way i can fix this?

Comment by spencer — December 1, 2011 @ 4:07 pm

• Unfortunately, no. There’s a security feature in Flash that makes it impossible to modify images loaded from another domain (such as flickr). Apparently, according to Adobe, smoothing counts as a modification…

Comment by Roy — December 7, 2011 @ 9:22 am

47. Hi, in my blog it tells me it needs flash player 9, where can i find it, i tried all , nothing works
    please help

Comment by Beyonce Zane — December 27, 2011 @ 5:41 pm

• That message is the “no flash” message, but it also shows if there a javascript or DOM problem. Please check your site using validator.w3.org to make sure there are no errors..

Comment by Roy — December 29, 2011 @ 11:24 am

48. Hi Roy

can you help me, how to creat link from a picture above to myweb or myinformation?…. thank’s
    because if i clik once above picture i open myflickr web, i want if i click a picture i can open myweb… not myflickrweb… I came from indonesia so sorry if mywritten isn’t true,… hehehehe

thank’s

Comment by peneliti ekowisata — January 9, 2012 @ 1:34 am

49. Hi Roy! This widget would be great for Etsy shops. It would be really fun to post my items on Etsy and have the photos show in this widget. I could make that happen if I also post the images in an album on Flickr, but linking it through to Etsy would be amazing! Just a thought on how to take this great design to the next level for some bloggers.

Comment by joyful.mara — February 7, 2012 @ 7:16 am

• There’s a version of this called Photo Widget that uses local images. I released that specifically so people could embed this effect into projects.

Comment by Roy — February 8, 2012 @ 8:54 am

50. Thanks for such an awesome widget!
    It doesn’t work in my WordPress blog. :(
    This link appears http://media.roytanck.com/flickrwidget.swf. Could you help me please?
    Thanks!

Comment by Ymn Pearl — March 19, 2012 @ 11:11 pm

• WordPress.com does not allow you to embed Flash movies, so it will not work there. There’s nothing I can do about it, unfortunately.

Comment by Roy — March 19, 2012 @ 11:34 pm