Logitech MX400 corded laser mouse

Logitech MX400 corded laser mouseMy Logitech MX1000 mouse stopped working yesterday. The mouse pointer simply wouldn’t move any more, even though clicking did work. I guess it’s a sensor problem, so I’ll have to send it in for repair. The first Logitech mouse to fail me, in what I guess is ten years now. But with work piling up I needed a replacement asap. That’s why I got an MX400. As a backup. But after using it for a couple of hours I don’t think I’ll put it away when the MX1000 gets back.

I never really got used to placing the MX1000 in that eyesore of a cradle that came with it. And even though it has splendid battery life, not having a battery at all is of course better. And you can’t beat a corded mouse’s nimbleness or reaction speed either. The MX400 is light and sports a laser sensor. It’s every bit as precise as the MX1000, and has much the same form factor. It’s slightly smaller, which it good if you have small or medium sized hands. The MX1000 really is rather bulky. I personally never use the extra buttons manufacturers put on mice nowadays, so I don’t care that this one has a few less of those.

The MX400 is marketed as an entry level laser mouse, but that doesn’t mean it’s bad. It’s quite clearly a quality Logitech product and it’s ‘no nonsense’ and ‘good value’ rather than ‘cheap’. If you, like me, prefer a corded mouse and want the best possible precision, the MX400 should be on your list.

1. I ordered one of those MX1100s yesterday for my other machine. I’m interested to see if it’s any match for my MX Revolution :D

Comment by Hates_ — February 19, 2009 @ 4:12 pm

2. I still have my MX1000 and I love it, I got a G7 but the thing eats batteries. I hate dealing with corded mice… but the MX810 works pretty good when I need to use one

Comment by Yong — February 24, 2009 @ 6:54 pm

3. I swear by corded mice and I’ve found no reason in over 20 years to use anything but Microsoft mice. I’m a gamer and my input devices are very important, so I recently decided to splurge on the Microsoft Sidewinder mouse. It’s big and looks ridiculous but for my large hands it’s incredibly comfortable and precise. It comes with replaceable feet made of different surfaces (depending on the table or mouse pad you use), as well as a weighted accessories case which doubles as a cable tie to keep the cord in place and out of the way. Cost me $90 Canadian which is expensive, but my first person shooter scores are through the roof and my precision on the desktop means my wrist doesn’t get tired after a long day of work.

I’ve tried many Logitech mice in the past and never liked anything but the most basic models. I don’t know whether this is the case anymore but for well over 15 years they had the most terrible software with obtrusive radial menus and other superfluous functionality that no one could ever want from a mouse (like starting the calculator!). I tried the MX1000 a while ago and hated having to recharge it in a cradle. All in all Logitech mice just don’t feel right in my hand, whereas with my new Sidewinder (and with my old Intellimouse Optical and Intellimouse Explorer) the contours of the form and the placement of the buttons just feel like an extension of my hand.

Comment by Brian — February 26, 2009 @ 8:31 pm

4. Interesting, I did nearly the same thing. I had the MX1000 for home use and loved the weight and liked the ergonomics of it. The only problem I really had was that my thumb is a bit fat and therefore does not fit properly into the thumb groove on the side of the mouse. Quite annoying, but I dealt with it. I was able to purchase a new kb/mouse combo for work, but wouldn’t feel right spending $100 on a mouse I’d use for programming, so I went for the MX400. I actually enjoyed it so much more that I ended up buying a second one for home use and the MX1000 now lays dormant, collecting dust. Tis a shame, cause it really is a nice mouse. The MX400 just fits my hand better.

-Duj

Comment by Dujenwook — March 8, 2009 @ 6:44 am

5. I use on a daily basis this mouse at work and it’s a good addition (made by myself though). Controllers are very important in improving ones work flow and they should not be neglected by employers …

Comment by Resurrected — March 16, 2009 @ 8:17 pm

6. I think you need to put aside the cordless issue for a moment, and find someone with a MX Revolution that they would let you use for a day or two….it will change everything you think about a mouse, and especially cordless ones. Heck, the auto-shifting wheel alone is enough of a reason to buy, but you throw in the fact that you have a total of 5 buttons, and each of those, along with the TWO wheels (only the top one has side-scroll, means you have a total of 9 programmable functions on the mouse alone. These can be special built in functions, or anything you want them to be, including key combinations from the keyboard.

Also, the charging cradle is about half the size of the one from the MX1000, is much more modern looking and stylish (almost unseen once the mouse is on it), and the battery lasts even longer than the MX1000.

The other upside to the MX Revolution, is that is uses a bluetooth adapter to connect the mouse to the computer, so there is one less cable on the charger.

In the long run, I think you would find yourself quite enamored with the Revolution, as it indeed fits its name. You just need to find one to use for a few days to find out if the purchase would be worth it to you. :)

Comment by Nate — April 8, 2009 @ 5:16 am