Is anyone still using WordPress 2.3 or earlier?

WordPress logoI’ve been working on yet another upgrade to my WP-Cumulus plugin. It looks like it’s become a pretty major update with a couple of exciting new features, but as a result it will probably no longer support versions of WordPress prior to 2.5. One of the things I want to introduce is proper shortcode support, and that API was introduced in 2.5.

Does anyone still use 2.3.x? Or even older versions even? I’ve not been able to find any statistics on this, but I assume most people keep their installs up to date, right?

1. Not completely related but I recently had to log in to a WP site to leave a comment and I saw the upgrade to 2.7.1 message at the top, gasp!

Comment by Joe — March 10, 2009 @ 6:10 pm

2. Yes. I have a client who uses an older version. He had a design firm create a custom template for him and is concerned that upgrading Word Press might break it.

Comment by Zach — March 12, 2009 @ 1:40 am

• I actually have a blog running 2.3.3 myself for the same reason. There have been so many little changes to the template tags that I’m not looking forward to bringing it up to speed. Another major reason not to upgrade is that I don’t write that blog myself, but in conjunction with guest authors. Some of whom are still having trouble uploading images etc. I’d have to do a new ‘manual’ too.

WP-Cumulus 1.20 is out now, and does still support WordPress 2.3. It lacks shortcode attributes support on 2.3, but it does work.

Comment by Roy — March 12, 2009 @ 10:18 am

3. We are using the WP 2.3 version but found difficulty in upgrading it to higher version. can any one suggest , how can we do that.

Comment by seo — April 7, 2009 @ 6:38 am

• @seo: Upgrading WordPress itself shouldn’t be too hard, but there might be incompatibilities with your theme and plugins. Some template tags (which are used in themes) have changed since 2.7 and not every plugin is still ‘alive’. Disabling all plugins before upgrading is highly recommended, and you could also choose to revert back to the default theme temporarily. Once 2.7.1 is installed you should re-enable things one by one and fix what needs to be fixed.

Comment by Roy — April 7, 2009 @ 8:55 am

4. I am also using the older version. I’m quite hesitant to upgrade yet cause I might lost my current page rank if I do so.

Comment by Best Web Hosting Company — May 14, 2009 @ 3:10 am

5. I know that this conversation is a few yours old, and I felt that I had something to say. Most people keep thier wordpress up to date. However some plug-ins do not support a newer version of wordpress. That being said, it’s also possible that if you have done a lot of custom programming to your blog, that it is not a good idea to update, as you could lose all your work.

Comment by Patty Francis — May 11, 2011 @ 3:36 am