My Flickr widget now does Picasa too!

Roy Tanck‘s Flickr Widget requires Flash Player 9 or better.

Talk about picking a poor name for this project. I first considered giving it a catchy name, but decided to simply call it ‘Flickr widget’ becaused that best describes what it does. But then I found that Flickr itself has a Flash widget too. And now I’ve made it support Picasa feeds too, so the name doesn’t make any sense anymore.

The upside is of course that Picasa users can now use the widget to show off their favorite albums on their websites. It accepts the feeds from your ‘My Photos’ page and album pages. If you, like me, have only a couple of albums under ‘My Photos’, the feed from that page will only show the album covers, so it makes more sense to use an album feed (on the left is a trip to the zoo with my daughter in 2007). Like with Flickr, the total number of thumbs shown is limited to 20.

Fortunately, Google uses a very similar feed format to Flickr, so I was able to put support for both into one Flash movie. Please feel free to try it, and let me know if you run into anything.

Get the widget here

1. Hi, Roy
    Is it possible to add my own images instead of loading RSS?
    Cause I’d like to use this widget as the website menu.

Comment by B@mbI — March 18, 2009 @ 8:28 pm

• @B@mbI: I’ll consider doing that. It shouldn’t be too hard, but there may be some licensing issues (because Cumulus is open source and my flickr widget isn’t (yet?)).

Comment by Roy — March 19, 2009 @ 9:28 am

• hii..
        i m anable to get RSS

Comment by jitender jalwa — October 22, 2011 @ 10:04 am

That’s a neat piece of widget. The best I hv seen! Gonna try in my new blog.

Comment by scx — March 19, 2009 @ 3:01 pm

3. Hey Roy,

I tried to use your widget for picasa, but it didn’t work for me. The preview didn’t work. Don’t know what to do.

Comment by Mordom — March 19, 2009 @ 3:47 pm

• @Mordom: Can you email me the feed url you’re using? I tried to find your Picasa account, and it looks like you do not have any public galleries. My guess is that you need the images public for my widget to be able to read them.

EDIT: This is because the feed you’re trying to use is on picasaweb.google.de . If you change the .de to .com it will work. I’ll see if I can implement a proper fix for this asap, but for now, simply changing the tld to .com seems to work.

Comment by Roy — March 19, 2009 @ 8:02 pm

4. is there any possibility to use this widget for photobucket?

Comment by Zaheer Iqbal Naru — March 19, 2009 @ 5:28 pm

• I’ve experimented with Photobucket, but they appear to be blocking access to their feeds from Flash. I’ll look into this some more, but if they do not allow access to the feeds there’s very little I can do.

Comment by Roy — March 19, 2009 @ 8:01 pm

5. Thx, for the repply
    So I’m waiting for ur customised version)
    Cause now the only way I see is creating RSS containing images on the website.

Comment by B@mbI — March 19, 2009 @ 5:41 pm

6. i like this one.

Comment by hanger — March 21, 2009 @ 1:04 pm

7. Hey Roy,
    Great application! I added it to my widgets on my blog.

I have another photo album location that I would like to get to work. It is located on Meetup.com, but you can only access it through the Meetup API.

Are you planning on making this open source like the Tag Cloud?

Comment by Dean — March 24, 2009 @ 8:16 pm

Great widget, thank you for sharing. When I use the code on Myspace, the code is being changed to internal and you could not link back to flickr. I have tried changing the code manual several time, but when I hit save, it changes the it back to internal and never,
    param name=”allowScriptAccess” value=”never”
    param name=”allowNetworking” value=”internal”

Is there something I can add to the code so this will not happen again?

Comment by norrushpics — March 31, 2009 @ 8:28 am

9. Hi norrushpics. It sounds like Myspace is actively blocking Flash from accessing outside content. Still, it’s a step up from wordpress.com, which blocks Flash altogether… I’m afraid there’s very little I can do.

Comment by Roy — March 31, 2009 @ 9:15 am

10. Hi Roy, Can you please help me to find the feed URL for my flickr & Picasa

Comment by Bala — March 31, 2009 @ 10:14 pm

• @Bala: It shouldn’t be too hard to find the feed URLs on both sites. Flickr has a nice little orange icon at the bottom of your personal photostream page. Picasa uses a blue version on album pages (right column) and a simple text link on your “My Photos” page.

Comment by Roy — April 1, 2009 @ 9:07 am

11. Roy, Thanks for your help….. I was wondering why I am not finding the feed button

Comment by Bala — April 3, 2009 @ 2:29 am

12. Do you think you could make your nice flash plugin able to load pics from the gallery on the blog I don’t use those photo web services but I have some pictures on my blog that I would like to show with that plugin?

Comment by soulc — April 3, 2009 @ 11:38 pm

• @soulc: I’ll think about that. Sounds like a cool thing to do.

Comment by Roy — April 4, 2009 @ 7:41 pm

13. MASTER? Thanks for your help

Comment by Bujas_009 — April 5, 2009 @ 7:51 pm

14. Roy,

Thank you so very much for your incredible creation! You are truly innovative. Any way to get the Flickr widget to load Flickr as _self. I’m using it on a new beta site in a large size and it calls Flickr in a seperate window. It won’t take >>> taget=”_self”

Comment by DeuxMonkey — April 6, 2009 @ 5:06 pm

• @DeuxMonkey: Currently there no way to do target=”_self” in the Cumulus widget. I wanted to keep the embed code (en thereby the html snippet) as short as possible. That’s why the only setting that gets passed to the movie is the feed URL.

Comment by Roy — April 6, 2009 @ 5:59 pm

15. Hmm anyway you could get the pictures load on a flash frame instead of linking into the flick/picasa photo album?
    My knowledge on javascript barely allows me to understand ur code as it is. Great work btw

Comment by Auch — July 5, 2009 @ 4:16 pm

Could you do me a favor. I’m starting with my own site and I’m looking for code for sharing. Could you share the code for:

Share and Enjoy:

* FriendFeed
    * MySpace
    * Yahoo! Buzz
    * LinkedIn
    * Netvibes
    * RSS

Cuz, I can’t find it anywhere on the web.

Warm Greetings,
    Sebastian

Comment by Sebastian — October 22, 2009 @ 10:44 am

17. Is it possible to download the .fla somewhere ?

Thank’s

Comment by Ricozor — May 17, 2010 @ 4:06 pm

18. I’m asking for the FLA because I tried to do it my self whith Paper Vision but I have some problems whith the rotation of the sphere.

Warm Greetings,
    Eric

Comment by Ricozor — May 18, 2010 @ 10:50 am

• Hi Ricozor. There’s an open source version here.

Comment by Roy — May 18, 2010 @ 11:58 am

19. Thank’s a lot Roy

Comment by Ricozor — May 18, 2010 @ 1:13 pm

20. Roy,

First and foremost – awesome work! This is a visually striking way to preview a photo album.

I’m using it with PicasaWeb – should it be pulling the most recently uploaded photos??? I have over 100 images in my gallery, and it always shows the earliest posted images, so the widget itself offers no way to tell if new images are in the photo album. Any way that you know of to grab the newest ones?

My RSS:

Thanks!!!

Comment by Brian — July 27, 2010 @ 1:27 pm

21. Is there a way to add the flickr widget to wordpress? Seems to be blocking it.

Thank you. And great widget.

Comment by Noir — November 16, 2010 @ 4:46 am

• Noir, wp.com blocks all Flash. Self-hosted WP installs should work.

Comment by Roy — November 17, 2010 @ 10:24 am

22. Hi Roy

Amazing widget, you are a genius. If you do manage to get this working to show images from a folder, please let me know, my girlfriend is a struggling artist starting out, and this would be perfect for the website I am putting together to have quick access to her work.

Best wishes

Gary

Comment by Gary — August 1, 2011 @ 3:45 am

23. Hey Roy! Love the widget! Congrats on getting it on Picasa. As much as I love you and your work Im wondering how I can get the ad that says “Get this widget at roytanck.com” off of the page or at least on to another page or a link or something else than having that sentence there. Im thinking just purchasing an account with widget box may do it. I looked on your site and I saw a donate button. Is there a way I can buy or pay for the widget so that sentence does not show up? Thanks. You rock :-).

Comment by Susannah — October 16, 2011 @ 8:35 pm

• The sentence is path of the html snippet, and you’re free to remove it if you like. I’d appreciate a link from the “links” or “colofon” page, but I can’t make you ;).

Comment by Roy — October 17, 2011 @ 9:56 am

24. Hi Roy

can you help me, how to creat link from a picture above to myweb or myinformation?…. thank’s
    because if i clik once above picture i open myflickr web, i want if i click a picture i can open myweb… not myflickrweb… I came from indonesia so sorry if mywritten isn’t true,… hehehehe

thank’s

Comment by peneliti ekowisata — January 6, 2012 @ 9:59 am

25. Hello Roy!
    How are you doing today?
    Thanks alot for this. It works well with flickr and Picasa. But could you take a little time to help the bloggers on tumblr please?.
    Thank you for taking time to read my note.
    Yours,
    MM

Comment by muctim — May 27, 2012 @ 1:07 pm

• I can’t make any promises, but if I ever get around to upgrading this, Tumblr is definitely on my list of platform to look at.

Comment by Roy — May 31, 2012 @ 10:13 am