Introducing Photo widget, floating thumbnails for your website

Photo widgetLots of people have contacted me, asking for a version of my Flickr widget that they could use on their website, without having to use Flickr (or Picasa). Doing such a version was easy enough, but I was hesitant to release it. The DIY version of WP-Cumulus has yielded more support requests than the actual WordPress plugin, and answering all the email has been taking a lot of my time.

One thing I could have done was to simply release the sources for the Flickr widget. But there’s a lot of Flickr/Picasa specific stuff in there that you would need to take out before being able to hook the movie up to another data source. So that would have made things harder for everyone.

If my understanding of the GPL license is correct, I (as the sole author) am allowed to release different versions under different licenses. Here’s what I’ve decided to do. The Flickr widget will remain closed source, and will also remain a hosted service. The only thing you should have on your website is the code snippet. I’ll happily take care of the rest. Below, you’ll find a download link for Photo widget, Flickr Widget’s new brother, which is licensed as GPL.

Version comparison

Flickr widgetPhoto widget
Flickr widgetPhoto widget
Let’s you display Flickr photostreams or Picasa albums on your websiteLet’s you display any images you want
Needs a Flickr or Picasa RSS feed as inputUses a custom XML format, from a configurable URL
Images are located on either Flickr or PicasaImages can be loaded from any website, including your own
Clicking an image takes you to that image’s page on Flickr/PicasaLinks and target frames can be set per image in the XML
Available as a hosted service, using a short code snippetAvailable for download, including code examples
Up to 20 images shown simultaniouslyUp to 20 images shown simultaniously
Closed source, will always be free to useOpen source (GPL)
Available hereDownload link below
Download Photo widget (including Flash sources and example files) [30 KB zip file]

Please make sure you extract all the files from the zip to one location. They all depend on each other. You won’t need to upload the flash sources folder to your server when deploying the project.

Support

Photo widget is the DIY version of Flickr widget. It offers greater flexibility, but is a lot harder to implement. The XML interface allows knowledgeable developers you to hook it up to all sorts of CMS solutions, and anyone with a basic understanding of HTML should be able implement a simple static version on his or her website. If you’re a beginner working with a WYSIWYG editor, you should probably look elsewhere.

I’ve tried very hard to make the examples as easy as I possibly could. Feel free to contact me if you run into trouble, but I can offer no guarantee I’ll be able to get back to you.

Donations

I looked into making this a commercial product for a long time. The main reason I didn’t was because that would have meant I’d have to protect the movie from being decompiled and I’d have had to deal with things like keeping track of payments. And I had no idea what a reasonable price would be. While one user might use it as a small gimmick on a personal blog, another might make it the main interface on a large commercial website.

If your project falls in the latter category, please consider donating. I’ve spent a lot of time developing this, so you don’t have to.

1. can i use it for my website?

pls.

i have lawyer website i willing to pay….

Comment by kfir — March 10, 2011 @ 10:49 pm

• kfir, yes, you’re absolutely welcome to use it. The open source license allows you to use it as you see fit, as long as you don’t distribute it. Oh well, you, being a lawyer, probably know all about licenses :).

Comment by Roy — March 11, 2011 @ 11:03 am

2. Dear Roy!

Thank you so much for your great floating thumbnail app and clear instruction to use it. I have downloaded your photowidget and upload to my site, I tried to create new text widget on slidebar of WordPress site and insert the code that you written on example.htm (with modification at path to have right reference to photowidget.swf and photowidget.xml) but no thing happen after I saving the widget and test on front page.

Does anything wrong with this installation, could you please advice me the right way to implement your photowidget?

Thank you so much.
    Trong (Vietnam)

Comment by Trong Nguyen — April 3, 2011 @ 10:06 am

• Hi Trong. Seems you got it working?

Comment by Roy — April 5, 2011 @ 2:34 pm

i would like to have different widgets on the same website for different pages;

as they have to be at the same place (and sometimes using the same images), my idea is to create photowidget1.swf, photowidget2.swf, … changing the programmation of each with CS respectively toward photowidget1.xml, photowidget2.xml, …

as you probably understand, i never used (or had) any of the different CS, and before i try, i would like to know if it is a solution or not, and moreover if it is easy enough to do for a CS’ newbie ?

thanks

Comment by corbin — April 5, 2011 @ 4:15 pm

4. Dear Roy!

Thank you so much for your quick respone.

Frankly the version that is working on my site is your Flickr widget, I would like to implement the Photo widget version so that I can use the large amount of pictures that had uploaded and managed on my site but on on Flickr. Could you please help me to do it.

Regards,
    Trong

Comment by Trong — April 5, 2011 @ 4:19 pm

5. Corbin: You can simply point the same swf to different XML files to get different pictures. No need to create separate swf files.

Trong: I made all this strictly DIY because there are many variables in setting it up. Your best bet is to use full paths in the XML file to rule out path problems. Make sure the movie is loaded by right-clicking the flash area, place the XML in the xwf’s folder. If no pics are loaded, experiment with the paths in the XML. Good luck!

Comment by Roy — April 6, 2011 @ 9:47 am

6. Roy, Thank you so much :) I will try again hehe

Trong

Comment by Trong — April 8, 2011 @ 9:49 am

7. i asked it because i was using a type of content of drupal with which i didn’t have to write code in the editor, only to upload photowidget.swf , yes swf, at a specific level of this content and it was working !?!?
    of course i previously did upload xml and images files with an ftp client.

Anyway, i choosed a more classical type of content, where i have to write code in the editor, and of course now i can point to different xml

Comment by corbin — April 8, 2011 @ 9:39 pm

8. Hello Roy,

I have a few questions for you

1. I have tried to slow down the speed but with no luck. How can you make it be much slower? I have tried to change the speed from value of 0 to 2000 without any changes in the movie!!?

2. Is it possible to for example put an image in the middle of the sphere that will make the images rotate around it like satelites around the globe?

3. Can you spread the images more I would like to have them more spread out as I use width800 height 500 ?

Thanks

Comment by Soren — April 16, 2011 @ 10:32 pm

9. OK

I got it, you need to update the swf for it to work by using flash… so I fixed my question 1 and 3 :)

I got one more question as I use larger movie it would work with more images then 20, so I would like to know where I can change the limit for example to add 10-20 images more or does this demand to much processing power? I have put this on my starter page at “www.digitalworkflow.se” where you can have a look. I think you can add more images without making a mess on this solution…

If we now could get a Title/Alt function s well it would be supergreat!

Thanks

Comment by Soren — April 17, 2011 @ 1:34 pm

10. Can I use your cloud for the engine bitrix. If so, how?

Comment by Kontrochka — April 17, 2011 @ 6:35 pm

11. Could it be problemma not work in flash is that the files in the format bitrix all php, but not in HTML?

Comment by Kontrochka — April 17, 2011 @ 7:09 pm

12. @Kontrochka

Why not download the photowidget and put it on your server. Then write the adress for the “example.html” (http://www.myserver.com/photowidget/example.html) in your browser. If it works then it should not be a problem…

Comment by Soren — April 17, 2011 @ 7:35 pm

13. In order to phpbb2 earned this cloud I insert the code

into one file .tpl and I need only two files photowidget In bitrix also thought they would receive only two files and code in the header php, the place for flash appears on the site, but the flash does not appear. When placed in a folder file “example.html”.

Comment by Kontrochka — April 17, 2011 @ 10:09 pm

14. code
    object classid=”clsid:-D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000″ codebase=”http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0″ param name=”wmode” value=”transparent”width=”130″ height=”130″>

object

Comment by Kontrochka — April 17, 2011 @ 10:11 pm

15. object classid=”clsid:-D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000″ codebase=”http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0″ param name=”wmode” value=”transparent”width=”130″ height=”130″
    param name=”movie” value=”swf/uhr.swf”
    param name=”quality” value=”high”
    embed src=./templates/info_light_brown/example.html” quality=”high” pluginspage=”http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer” type=”application/x-shockwave-flash” width=”400″ height=”400″ wmode=”transparent” embed
    object

had to remove all signs of the code except the code does not prescribe

Comment by Kontrochka — April 17, 2011 @ 10:14 pm

16. @Kontrochka

Sorry but not sure what you are trying to accomplish here,,,

If you change the structure and the files in the photowidget I can not help you.

I think the easiest way to see if everything works as it should is to use the original folder structure (do not change anything) put it on your server then in your webbrowser write the path to “example.html” If you can see the demo movie you should be able to work it out.

But to change everything into new files you are on your own…

Comment by Soren — April 17, 2011 @ 10:29 pm

17. I have not changed anything, but how long are tailored to the work of this cloud to phpbb2 and found an outlet in one of the templates to make any flash, there used code that I wrote above – it helped me put this cloud. I used the two files photowidget.swf, photowidget.xml and index_body.tpl added the code (without writing the desired character to comment shown)

param name=”movie” value=”swf/uhr.swf”

param name=”quality” value=”high”
    embed src=”./templates/Chronicles/photowidget.swf” quality=”high” pluginspage=”http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer” type=”application/x-shockwave-flash” width=”400″ height=”400″wmode=”transparent” embed
    object

src=”./templates/Chronicles/photowidget.swf” This place is the code for photowidget.swf

Just wanted to make things work and the engine bitrix, but only get a place in the flash. In a browser, it works, but not on the site

Comment by Kontrochka — April 17, 2011 @ 11:45 pm

18. OK
    Try this!

Change
    param name=”movie” value=”swf/uhr.swf”
    embed src=”./templates/Chronicles/photowidget.swf” quality=”high”

To
    param name=”movie” value=”http://www.myservername.com/templates/Chronicles/photowidget.swf”
    embed src=”http://www.myservername.com/templates/Chronicles/photowidget.swf” quality=”high”

I think you need the full path to make it work..

Comment by Soren — April 18, 2011 @ 12:00 am

19. Soren many thanks that haven’t thrown, have helped council and when two heads think sooner or later something turns out :). For cursor Bitrix my code which is necessary for phpbb2-3 isn’t necessary. It is just necessary to load all files of a cloud into the necessary folder, and on a site with the administrator of the panel in a proper place where it is necessary to choose a cloud from a folder and to load photowidget.swf. All works perfectly. Many thanks Roy for your wonderful cloud :)!!!

Comment by Kontrochka — April 18, 2011 @ 11:36 am

20. hi Roy..

as u have mentioned above that people not having basic knowledge of html editing should try somewhere else…

i m from 1 of those categories….

i tried but couldn’t find anywhere else about this widgets..

so i would like to request you if u could help me out wih this … i have tried it doing through rss feed as well.. but it shows as invalid url…

could u spare some time to help me out with this, that how can i install this widget to my blog..

and if required i may offer u my blogs login id.. and password to install this…

can u help :) please

Comment by abhijot — May 15, 2011 @ 8:17 am

21. I adore this, thank you so much for your generosity in making this freely available. Now for the annoying question: any way to remove those white frames around the images? I think they detract. I am grateful even if not possible :)

Comment by marcie — June 5, 2011 @ 6:29 pm

• Marcie, yes, if you know your way around Actionscript, you should be able to remove the border.

Comment by Roy — June 6, 2011 @ 11:27 pm

22. hi roy..

ur flicker widget worked on my site,, :D

thanks for widget..

i just wanted to know how many files does it shows from the collection..

because my album is of around 200 photos..

but it shows only 10 – 25 of them..

Comment by abhijot — June 6, 2011 @ 8:04 pm

• The widget is limited to 20 pictures, because otherwise they would overlap, which looks “less than optimal”.

Comment by Roy — June 6, 2011 @ 11:26 pm

23. Hi Roy…what is action script and how do I find my way around it? ;)

Comment by marcie — June 7, 2011 @ 12:40 am

24. Roy…can I toggle this border issue by using raw code with editpad or dreamweaver? thank you.

Comment by marcie — June 7, 2011 @ 12:47 am

25. Marcie, sometimes i do not understand !?

on the net you have at least three gifts : photowidget and google and wikipedia and …

if you search “actionscript”, you find http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ActionScript and http://www.actionscript.org/ and …

Comment by corbin — June 7, 2011 @ 9:29 am

26. Roy…I do not know how to use Actionscript. Can I remove these borders by working in raw code with one of your existing files in Photo Widget? I have a raw code editor, like Edit Pad, and I also have Dreamweaver. Is there any way I can do this WITHOUT Actionscript?

Comment by marcie — June 7, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

• Unfortunately, no. The borders are inside the Flash movie, and you’ll really need AS3 to remove them.

Comment by Roy — June 17, 2011 @ 9:42 am

27. hi Roy and thanks
    i want use image with link to article and want when click on image open article in new window with no image only show article(html page)
    how do this

Comment by Ebrahim Alizadeh — June 16, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

• If I understand correctly, you’d need to create the article pages, and then modify the xml file with the correct links and images. If you plan on using a CMS, you’ll need to generate the XML.

Comment by Roy — June 17, 2011 @ 9:41 am

• How do I shoiw a photo but in the article use not that photo and use another photo
        sorry for may bad English

Comment by Ebrahim Alizadeh — June 17, 2011 @ 9:49 am

• The XML can link to any valid URL. Your pages can contain any images you like, but need not necessarily contain the one used in the photo widget.

Comment by Roy — June 17, 2011 @ 10:09 am

28. Dear Roy
    Please explain with example

Comment by Ebrahim Alizadeh — June 17, 2011 @ 9:45 am

• I’m sorry, but as I said in the original post, this is stricktly a DIY project. I’ve tried to document it as best I could, but I can not create examples for every possible variation in which this can be implemented.

Comment by Roy — June 17, 2011 @ 10:06 am

• Please Roy I read document but i do not undrestand how to this, I am sorry,I know your time is valuable
        This question is for many (Perhaps )

Comment by Ebrahim Alizadeh — June 17, 2011 @ 10:11 am

• Tomorrow is my birthday and I hope you give me this gift,Though I do nothing but thank you ..

Comment by Ebrahim Alizadeh — June 17, 2011 @ 10:14 am

29. Roy – this is BRILLIANT. I just love it, and it solves several problems that I had for a photo site. I’m very very happy, thanks so much for putting it out there!!

Comment by ChattahoocheeNow — June 18, 2011 @ 8:51 pm

30. Hello Roy,
    a really, really nice widget! Thank you very much for making it available for free.

Three questions though:
    1) On my computer, it crashes in IE8 – it loads fine, but as soon as I move the mouse over the flash, IE shuts down. Any idea how to fix that?

2) Is there any way to make the links open lightboxes instead of simple websites? I call them up like this:

LINK

And then there’d be another (invisible) DIV with the lightbox-content like that:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Phasellus auctor rutrum posuere. Pellentesque in felis sapien.

Is there any way to combine your widget with that?

3) Is it possible to add an ALT-Text to the images, so that it gives you a description of the photo you’re hovering over with your mouse?

Best,
    DR

Comment by DZR — June 20, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

• 1) Can you email me a link to the page that crashes IE8? I’ve never seen that happen, and would like to investigate.

2) Most lightbox scripts use the page’s DOM model to find images (with a rel=lightbox attribute) and make them clickable. Because the images in my widget are flash, those implementations do not find them. There may be a way to call lightbox javascript functions directly from the flash movie, but I haven’t played with that at all.

3) I’ve considered that, but it would add a lot of weight to the flash movie, and there would need to be settings for things like the tooltip color, font, etc. One of the reasons this is open source is so people can add stuff like this if they need it. I’d like to keep the movie as light and simple as possible.

Comment by Roy — June 21, 2011 @ 9:38 am

• Thanks for your quick answer! About the crashing IE8 – it seems to be a problem with my system. I’ve tested it on two other computers, and it worked just fine (with both IE7 and IE8). For reference, it doesn’t just happen with the widget I embedded but e.g. also with the one posted above, http://www.northgeorgiafaces.org/ .
        As for the other stuff – thanks for explaining. I’ll try to work together with a flash-expert-friend of mine to work my way around.
        Best,
        DR

Comment by DZR — June 22, 2011 @ 8:21 am

31. Link: A Cool Photo Widget for Flickr and Picasa | SteveYuen.org
  32. First of all, nice and simple math behind the widget. With little knowledge of AS you can really tweak it nicely (size, scales, ratios, radius, distance from center etc.).
    But have you considered inserting bicubic or bilinear image resize to avoid rough edges? If you have do you have any code for that? I think that addition of some kind of interpolation would be very nice touch and would make this really exquisite.
    Cheers,
    Ivan

Comment by Ivan — July 3, 2011 @ 1:08 am

• I would love better scaling, but Flash won’t allow it on images from another domain. This movie is almost identical to the Flickr one, and I can’t use smoothing etc there. While I could create a version that does this for use with locally loaded content, that would fork the project. I’ll consider it though. Or perhaps you could give it a try?

Comment by Roy — July 5, 2011 @ 1:35 pm

• Well, my experience in ActionScript is, well, slim at best. I have great experience in C like languages and PHP, so I can understand AS and change methods and mathematical stuff, but I can hardly implemented such a task. Nevertheless I can find interpolation code in C++ or Java or you can try to implement clevrlib libry that I have find: https://github.com/ascorbic/clevrlib/ interpolation example is available at http://www.clevr.com/blog/2008/resize-actionscript-bicubic-bilinear-interpolation/ .

Now regarding forking. I think that you can just add one if and fork completeHandler. One part will apply interpolation on image the other will skip it (maybe this is not so simple as is seems to me). Also you will have to store original image in some variables. This would also be good because I’m worried about performance. Knowing how interpolation work, time complexity of algorithms is something like O(x*x*y). As I recall there are the ways to reduce that to O(x on 5/2). So if you have 10 images, I not sure about performance.

This class is also interesting especially because you have some benchmark data: http://blog.yoz.sk/2010/11/lanczos-resampling-with-actionscript/ and http://blog.yoz.sk/2010/01/how-to-resize-an-image-with-actionscript/

If I can I will be glad to help any further,
        Ivan

Comment by Ivan — July 6, 2011 @ 10:57 pm

33. Is it possible to add text next to the image display?

Comment by William GUss — July 5, 2011 @ 8:25 pm

34. Dear Roy,

Howdee!… will i be able to use your Photoshare (Photo Widget) on Sharepoint Intranet 2010.

Many thanks
    Jyo

Comment by jyo — July 8, 2011 @ 4:32 pm

• I’m not familiar with SharePoint at all, so I couldn’t say.

Comment by Roy — July 11, 2011 @ 2:10 pm

35. Hi,

thanks a lot for this great widget.
    unfortunately my html and flash-skills are not as good as i wish ;)
    So I have a little problem and maybe you can give me a short help.

I want bigger thumbs. Which parameter has to be changed?
    Is it possible to creat “dynamic thumbs”? So that the thumb is as big as the source-picture is?

greetings

Comment by Dani — July 12, 2011 @ 8:37 pm

• You can change the size in the Thumb.as (from memory) class, but the current size was carefully chosen to make sure the images don’t overlap. The same goes for the aspect. By fixing it to 1:1, there’s no chance of images suddenly “jumping in front”, which looks weird.

Comment by Roy — July 13, 2011 @ 10:48 am

36. Thanks a lot!!! this widget looks amazing!

Comment by funnyMan — July 17, 2011 @ 1:56 pm

37. Dear Roy
    Hi and Many thanks,
    I need embed .xml content link to .swf file and create 1 swf with no external .xml file,
    if it is possible? if yes :) How do.
    thanks for datailed support your extentions,as free, and Many thanks to you for your time.
    I hope help me.

Comment by Melika Farahmand — July 24, 2011 @ 5:12 pm

38. Hi dear Roy
    thank you so much for your generosity in making this freely available :)
    I need create widget with no external .xml file, i want embed .xml content link to .swf file and create 1 swf.
    if it is possible?
    Please answer to me Roy.

Comment by Melika Farahmand — August 5, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

• Embedding the XML should be easy to do. You’ll need to edit the code and comment out the bits that load the XML, and then simply add a (long) XML formatted string variable to be used instead.

Comment by Roy — August 14, 2011 @ 11:19 am

• Hi Roy :)
        Wich Line?

Comment by Melika Farahmand — September 13, 2011 @ 5:15 pm

• how change for load internal long xml …

// figure out the url to load from
        var a:Array = this.loaderInfo.url.split(“/”);
        a.pop();
        var baseURL:String = a.join(“/”) + “/”;
        feedUrl = ( this.loaderInfo.parameters.feed == null ) ? baseURL + “photowidget.xml” : unescape(this.loaderInfo.parameters.feed);
        // load and parse the data
        myXML = new XML();
        // load XML file
        var myXMLURL:URLRequest = new URLRequest( feedUrl );
        var myLoader:URLLoader = new URLLoader(myXMLURL);
        myLoader.addEventListener(“complete”, xmlLoaded);
        function xmlLoaded(event:Event):void {
        myXML = XML(myLoader.data);
        init( myXML );
        }
        }

Comment by Melika Farahmand — September 13, 2011 @ 5:18 pm

• Basically, you should be able to remove everything up to “myXML = XML(…)”, and then insert your XML string where I placed the dots.

var myXMLString = ““;
          myXML = XML(myXMLString);

Flash may complain about some vars not being declared though, so you may need to do a bit of debugging.

Comment by Roy — September 14, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

• Hi Roy,
            I try to this change , but this method not work !
            hey man please please check my ThumbCloud.as file from this link:

Please Roy please help me to solve this.
            I know you are busy and I want to say thank you for your time :)

Comment by Taimaz — October 4, 2011 @ 11:03 am

• I don’t have a lot of time right now, but it I can see two things that don’t look right.

1. The XML() function takes a string, so you should wrap your XML data in quotes.
            2. You’ll need to call init() on the next line to set things in motion.

Comment by Roy — October 5, 2011 @ 9:17 am

• I don’t have a lit of time right now, but it I can see two things that don’t look right.

2. You’ll need to call init() on the next line to set things in motion.

Comment by Roy — October 5, 2011 @ 9:18 am

• i change code to this:

// load and parse the data
            myXML = new XML(“test.jpgtest.jpg”);
            init( myXML );

}

but not work ,
            please Roy , help me with example, thank you Man

Comment by Taimaz — October 6, 2011 @ 7:39 pm

• Are you getting any errors to work with? It’s kind of hard to debug Flash without seeing the compiler’s output. I’m afraid I don’t have time to whip up an example.

Comment by Roy — October 10, 2011 @ 9:26 am

• I know you are busy and this widget open source ,
            I want to say thank you for this and cumulus and your free suport, good job man,
            I try to this change but I was not successful.
            Please Help Me, Please an example Roy

Comment by Taimaz — October 10, 2011 @ 2:36 pm

• please Roy , I am Waiting

Comment by Timaz — October 13, 2011 @ 6:08 pm

• I’m sorry, but I really can’t do an example for you.

Comment by Roy — October 17, 2011 @ 10:02 am

• sorry Roy , please example ..
            I need to this change please help me man

Comment by Taimaz — November 1, 2011 @ 10:46 pm

39. Flickr widget is not working with this url: http://www.flickr.com/photos/greecetangomarathons/sets/72157627362537682/.

Why?
    Can you help me please?

Comment by Niko — August 5, 2011 @ 4:26 pm

40. This is really great. I will definitely be using it a lot. An extra “option” that I think would be awesome is if it could have a sort of lightbox functionality. Instead of going to the album on picasa, it would be cool if it opened just that picture on the web site, so that the user never leaves.

I guess, maybe that’s what the non-flickr version does, but since I’m hosting on blogger, I don’t think that’s an option for me… :-/

Comment by Mary — August 14, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

• Oh, I just read through the comments and saw that someone had already asked about this. if at any point in the future you decide to play around with that, it would be a very welcome upgrade! :))

Comment by Mary — August 14, 2011 @ 5:06 pm

41. I am no Flash expert at all but do have the program. How do I change the background color from white to 1d1d1d? I tried opening in flash but says its protected.Thank you for your awesome contribution here. Very cool

Thanks,

Comment by Ernie — August 17, 2011 @ 12:39 am

• nevermind I answered my own question. easy fix

Comment by Ernie — August 17, 2011 @ 12:59 am

42. Hey Roy
    I wondered if there is a way to put more than 20 links on the .xml and randomly select 20 from those when displaying.
    By the way, great work!
    Thanks in advance.

Comment by Gustavo — August 23, 2011 @ 11:00 pm

• That should be possible by simply randomizing the parsed XML data, which ends up as an array. I would not want this to be the default behavior though.

Comment by Roy — August 24, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

• Could you help/give me direction on how to do it?
        Where I need to do that, on the .swf file?

Comment by Gustavo — August 24, 2011 @ 10:09 pm

• You’ll need to edit the ThumbCloud.as file, and recompile the movie using Flash CS3 or higher. You can use a trial version.

The actual changes are a little too extensive to post here, but basically you’ll need the Array.sort function.

If you’re generating the xml server-side, another approach may be to randomize there.

Comment by Roy — August 25, 2011 @ 8:31 am

• As I know nothing about Action Script, perhaps the second option is better… thank you a lot!

Comment by Gustavo — August 25, 2011 @ 10:56 pm

43. Hey Roy:

Thank you so much for your hard work and generosity.
    The widget works well.

Only one question: Could you provide another version with the picture in the front a little bit larger?

Comment by David — August 24, 2011 @ 4:30 am

• If you’re familiar with AS3, you could try playing with the 3D parameters a bit to get a stonger “fisheye” effect. Enlarging the front-most picture apart from the 3D effect will probably look weird, because a picture’s size is how you judge its distance. It would look like it suddenly moved closer.

Comment by Roy — August 24, 2011 @ 1:10 pm

44. great widget, just what I was looking for, thanks for share!

Comment by socrates — August 27, 2011 @ 5:37 am

I am a beginner in website creating. I would like to add your picture widget to my website. Do you have a document with instructions on how to embed the widget to the website.
    Thank you.

Comment by Hiran — September 5, 2011 @ 10:04 am

• I’m afraid I don’t have such a document. I released this so that experienced web designers could use it in their projects. You can copy-paste from the example files, but since every project is different, it’s very hard to do real step-by-step instructions.

Comment by Roy — September 5, 2011 @ 12:24 pm

46. Roy, thanks for this great widget! It works great and is just what I was looking for.

Comment by JJ — September 13, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

Excellent widget! I love it. Is there any way to stop people from being able to click the images? I’m using the flickr widget, and I just need to be able to prevent people from being able to click the images and view the flickr page.

Thanks!!

Christian

Comment by Christian — September 23, 2011 @ 10:32 am

• If you’d simply remove the links (the complete attribute) from the XML, there’s nothing to click.

Comment by Roy — September 26, 2011 @ 9:20 am

48. Hi Roy. Do you have a widget that will create an interactive photo feature for my website gallery.

Comment by Mezzo — September 26, 2011 @ 6:47 pm

49. Roy, Thanks for the great file, Is it easy to take the XML link and have it post on the stage with an input text field?

Comment by Jruss — September 26, 2011 @ 11:17 pm

• That should not be hard to do at all.

Comment by Roy — October 3, 2011 @ 3:05 pm

the widget looks very good! Its possible to change the “on click” event from a href-ling to a “zoom the photo” in the flash-workspace?

what I mean is – so I click at a photo that photo comes at the front and zoom to max an if I click at the zoomed photo thats bring the phot return “at the cloud”….

I think its a good idea to publish personal photos.

If you dont work for free, you can send me a email…

bt

Comment by breaktime — September 28, 2011 @ 10:25 am

• What you propose is possible, but it does require quite a bit of coding. The selected image needs to be “removed” from the 3D code and animated to the front. To get it looking nice, you’d also need to load high res images, and quite a large Flash movie area to show them. This was never how the movie was intended (as a complete gallery app), but I could look at this as a freelance job if you’d like.

Comment by Roy — October 3, 2011 @ 2:59 pm

• Hi Roy,

I´m back from a holyday-week…

Have you a idea at the price for this adaption? – you can send me the answer direktly at my eMail…

Thanks!