Where have all the dual WAN routers gone?

Draytek Vigor 2910g dual WAN routerLast week’s internet failure in my home has made it very clear to me that I need a backup. Even my wife, who frequently works from home using Citrix, had a lot of trouble getting anything done. We really need to be online all the time. So the first thing I did was sign up for a second home broadband line. I’ll soon have both a cable and a ADSL(2+) connection. Now all I need to do is tie them together.

I thought about getting a second router, and putting up a second wifi network for the new connection. But that would mean I’d probably end up interfering with my current signal, and it’s not really an elegant solution. So I started looking into dual WAN routers. These routers accept two ‘inputs’, and allow you to route your traffic between the two using a set of user-defined rules (“torrents go left, email goes right”). What you end up with is a single LAN that uses both connections simultaneously. No need to switch networks when one goes offline, your router will do that for you.

Draytek only?

Almost all the dual WAN routers aimed at consumers and small businesses seem to have been discontinued. I was only able to find a couple of models by Draytek. Googling turned up other models by Linksys, 3com, Netgear and others, but all of them are no longer listed on their respective manufacturer’s websites. Most of the reviews and forum posts Google turned up were from 2007 or even older. Most of them were quite positive about the various products though.

So, am I wrong in thinking that these routers are really nifty, and would be ideal for my setup? Or is their disappearance a sign I should stay away from this type of solution? Or perhaps these routers simply turned out to be too expensive for consumers and sold poorly?

1. We have the same setup of cable and DSL and use Xincom dual wan router with great success. Have used it for nearly 3 years without incident. Look here: http://www.xincom.com/twinwan.php

Comment by FFN — April 27, 2009 @ 1:15 am

• Hi FFN. I’ve never seen a Xincom router for sale here in the Netherlands. They look like they’re geared towards professionals, and I can’t seem to find a model with built-in wifi. Also, I tried to find out how expensive their products are by clicking links from the ‘where to buy’ page, and only one of the e-tailers listed there actually sold a Xincom router.

Comment by Roy — April 27, 2009 @ 12:08 pm

2. Peplink’s mutli-wan routers have very good reputation. They focus on producing mult-wan routers that work. Check it out:

Comment by Mike — April 28, 2009 @ 5:42 am

• @Mike: Much like with Xincom, the Peplink (another brand I’d never heard of) lack wifi.

I’ve opted to get a Draytek btw. It should arrive next week, and I’ll be sure to blog about it then.

Comment by Roy — April 28, 2009 @ 2:00 pm

3. Why not check out DD-WRT or OPENWRT? Both allow you to use the lan ports on your router as an additional LAN port. they support numerous different hardware platforms and have TONS of features you won’t find in a standard router firmware.

Comment by Nick — April 30, 2009 @ 9:02 pm

4. correction, “an additional *WAN* port”

Comment by Nick — April 30, 2009 @ 9:02 pm

• @Nick: That may just why there are so little consumer dual WAN routers. The flexibility of the WRT. I guess anyone who knows what dual WAN is will have no trouble flashing their router. I think it’s quite impressive that these firmware have made routers do they things they weren’t designed to do.

Comment by Roy — May 1, 2009 @ 1:38 pm

5. buy from http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=34 or ebay
    1- Jetway Mini-ITX Motherboard —-$130.00
    1- 3x GigaLAN Module—————–$45.00
    1-512MB DDR2————————–$20.00
    1-PowerSupply—————————$35.00
    1-USB Pen drive (for hdd)————-$10.00
    pun it in a Plastic Box cabinet ($10)
    —————————————————————–
    Total $250

Download : VC5 – Vyatta Community Edition 5 from http://www.vyatta.com/downloads/index.php

connect motherboard lan connection to Your existing router (set Static Getway)

USE BGPv4 for Multihoming increase the reliability of the Internet connection. as well as bandwidth multiplication..

you can connect 3x GigaLAN Module to 3 different service provider.

You can also have built in IDS / IPS + firewall + QoS bla bla

and lan to wan throughput is awesome 330Mbps ……in case of xincom devices it is 50Mbps total

Comment by Prithvy — May 3, 2009 @ 8:01 pm

• Hi Prithvy. While your solution is technically superior to a purpose-built router, I wouldn’t want something like that powered on 24/7. Even an Atom-based mini-itx machine still consumes around 30 watts of power. I couldn’t possibly justify that kind of strain on the environment for routing alone. If I ever do need a real home server, I might consider something like this though.

Comment by Roy — May 6, 2009 @ 3:12 pm

6. in that case buy buy a
    50W SOLAR PANEL 12 V will ……………. $125
    12V/ 17Ah Sealed Lead Acid battery $70
    choose DC-DC power supply with variable input range 12V to 25V (up to 40V available) for same rate as u dont have to buy AC to 12V DC convertor.

connect solar panel to battery and motherboard in parallel

yeppes no AC power supply input required for your router.
    Will work 24×7 on 7 hrs of charging from sun
    No problem for environment ….
    Totally green….

a cisco or juniper purpose-built router router with multiport wan will still cost more….that total of max $500
    and they will still cost u on ur electric bill

Comment by prithvy — May 7, 2009 @ 8:36 pm

7. Link: Where have all the dual WAN routers gone Roy Tanck weblog | Portable Greenhouse
  8. Link: Where have all the dual WAN routers gone Roy Tanck weblog | Portable Greenhouse
  9. A bit late I know, but worth documenting for others.

Apart from the vendors mentioned by others above, Edimax have a few low cost multi-WAN routers, Billion BiGuard does this better than the Draytek at similar price, & HotBrick, SnapGear, Fortinet, Cisco, and SonicWALL also have this functionality in various models (at a price)

But the one I like best is from ZyXEL – the ZyWALL35. It comes in a UTM and standard version (UTM provides ASIC accelerated gateway level filtering & AV controls via Bluecoat services) and smart policy based routing, If your ISP still has modem capability, you can have a third level of redundancy with dial backup. The priec is very reasonable for the quality, reliability & functions provided.

Comment by Ross — June 4, 2009 @ 2:06 am

10. This message is for Prithvy… I want to contact you. Could you drop me an email at eldergamer@yahoo.com

Comment by David — June 12, 2009 @ 12:40 am

11. Try this it is an open source solution with LOTS of documentation and seems relatively easy to setup.

the documentation is better than I expected.

Comment by trdrvr2 — June 19, 2009 @ 4:13 pm

12. Vyatta is incredible but difficult to set up.

Comment by trdrvr2 — June 19, 2009 @ 4:15 pm

13. Personally, I think you’re better going for a diverse internet connection than two xDSL lines bonded together. I’ve seen it far too often where companies think they are protected by dual WAN connections, then a highway digger cuts through both lines in an instant.

A 3G / HSDPA / EDGE backup is a more resillient solution since it’s using a different technology: Read all about it here.

Anders

Comment by Anders — June 29, 2009 @ 12:01 am

• Hi Anders. I don’t have two xDSL lines. One is cable (DocSIS 2). I’ll agree that 3G is a good option as well, but it’s rather expensive over here in The Netherlands, and my router is able to use a 3G stick instead of the second line. If both fail, I can go and pick one up, plug it in and be online again. No need to pay for it every month with activation being almost instantanious.

Comment by Roy — June 30, 2009 @ 10:50 am

14. I am right now shopping for DrayTek V2910V and its not easy to buy, at least in Canada. Ordered from Voipsupply but they can’t ship for weeks and all DrayTek products on their website got labeled ‘Discontinued’…. hope DrayTek co is not in some trouble?
    The Vigor2910V besides dual WAN also has VOIP SIP registration which I would use with my home Asterisk to provide service where the DrayTek router will be installed (I maintain internet setup for a family here in town and they will have direct line to me via SIP phone)

I used DD WRT flashed Linskys routers in that place before but couple years ago flashed all to Tomato firmware, didn’t know DD WRT allows for dual WAN, maybe its something they have done in last two or three years? Somehow it didn’t grow on me, had few time when after several months of uptime, PCs on LAN would not get IP from DHCP and all LAN would require thorough rebooting and I suspected DD WRT…

Also the family needs something low tech that maybe other called up tech must be able to work with. That means no custom glued together solution with mobo and all as described above. It has to be resetable simply by cycling powersupply bar’s switch, so even family members can get back up on net on those occasions things go on lark.

Hope I am not choosing too badly with DrayTek product, now if I can put my paws on it.

Comment by Van — June 30, 2009 @ 8:00 am

That’s fair enough, at least you have two different topologies providing your Internet. Do you have Pay As You Go 3G plans over there? In the UK you can a Vodafone PAYG stick for £40 with 1GB data. Extra data costs £15 per GB.

Anders

Comment by Anders — July 16, 2009 @ 11:50 pm

• Yeah, we have prepaid 3G modems here. They’re not terribly expensive either (80 euros if I remember correctly), and my current mobile provider has a plan that limits daily costs to a couple of euros. I’ll pick one up if ever both lines fail.

Comment by Roy — July 18, 2009 @ 6:31 pm

16. TP-Link do a fantastic dual-wan router, and also some with more WAN ports. Look for the TL-R480T+

Here’s a link for info: http://www.tp-link.com/products/product_des.asp?id=14

Installed and running 2 months, no problems.

Comment by Keith — August 4, 2009 @ 9:02 pm

17. Have a look at the products from Syswan Technologies, Inc. They have Dual and Multi WAN solutions at very attractive pricing and offer great free tech support. The Doulinks SW24 is for the dual WAN solution and some models have VPN. The Octolinks SW88 can home upto 8 concurrent broadband links !

See product specs at http://www.syswan.com

I am using a few at customer locations and have had no trouble with these so far…

Comment by Wanspider — September 20, 2009 @ 4:05 pm

18. There’s a mod firmware of tomato for dual WAN (see http://www.dualwan.cn)
    The problem is that it’s in chinese
    The only version I know which is English version is 1.23.0061

I am currently using Asus WL520GU, flashed with tomato 1.23.0061
    It’s quite cheap. It’s around $40 – $60 and running in 240MHz

As Asus WL520GU has 1 WAN port and 4 port, it’s now becoming:
    WAN = WAN1
    LAN1 = WAN2
    LAN2-3 = acting as LAN

Comment by harmoni — October 19, 2009 @ 12:29 am

19. I work from home and have an Edimax load balancing broadband router that does full load balancing with failover based on sessions, packets, ip addresses or bytes. It has been solid. I would recommend this router.
    Model BR-724 with optional Wireless feature.

Comment by Ken — November 10, 2009 @ 10:25 pm

20. I too think Draytek is quite a good find for Dual Wan routers. Many of the popular brands out there do not even have Automatic load balancing.

Check out Draytek’s US page here: http:www.draytek.us

Here is the reseller I usually purchase Draytek from: http://www.buyvoiprouters.com

Comment by Amanda — November 12, 2009 @ 4:25 pm

21. There is a translated version of the latest Dual-WAN from China. The translation is quite understanabvle . It was done using webkit by a guy called mstombs on Linksysinfo. The firmware now requires no scripts. Another guy called Toastman on linksysinfo.org is hosting it (and an awful lot of other interesting stuff) here:

Comment by John — November 13, 2009 @ 2:58 pm

22. Roy,
    Did you finally solve your dual WAN router challenge ? What router did you end up getting and how is it working.
    We are in a similar quandary and have to decide what router to get. Would appreciate your feedback since you´ve already gone through it. Thanks a lot !

Comment by Gus Salles — November 30, 2009 @ 2:16 pm

23. I’m using Draytek 2910G but facing its bottleneck at 30Mb/s ( WAN to wired LAN ) when I connect a 100Mb/s + a 30Mb/s broadband to it. Do you have any suggestion for another dual WAN (wired or wireless) router to handle it ? Hope the price could be as low as possible.

Thanks

* but I have to tell that Draytek runs solid stable

Comment by Tony — February 1, 2010 @ 5:32 am

24. I second the tp link TL-R408t+ dual WAN, not a blip in months, rock solid device.
    took five minutes to setup:
    A Lan cable from each standard wireless router still running DCHP on different ip ranges , set the tp-link WAN ports to dynamic and this just runs straight away.
    Switched the radios off on the two wireless routers and plugged a access-point into one of the 3 free etherent ports on the TL-R408t+ and jobs done.

theres a quad wan as well but thats over kill for me.

Comment by spattzzz — February 23, 2010 @ 11:35 am

25. I found lots of Options…the Netgear FVS124G, the PepLink-20, and others…

The issue I have is I want load SHARING besides fallover… The NG FVS124G works fine, switching to my Basckup DSK link when my 10Mbit cable link goes down… Unfortunately my DSL link sits idle, wasted most of the time.

When I originally bout the Netgear, I didn’t know about the Peplink or the others, and now it is “inertia” that keeps me from upgrading… The Netgear is stable, it works, and I have configured it to work with My VOIP stuff, my kids games, and everything else… The Pep20 looks like it would add the two links together giving me a bit more BW, but …. it would mean a day or so of “tinkering” which I don’t really want to do…

Comment by Bob Sisson — April 28, 2010 @ 3:13 pm

Which solution are you using now?

Comment by Daniel — May 14, 2010 @ 12:02 pm

• Daniel, I’m using a Draytek Vigor 2910G in conjunction with a cable and an ADSL modem. Works flawlessly, and it’s the best router I’ve ever used.

Comment by Roy — May 18, 2010 @ 12:04 pm

27. @Wanspider: I have had a long and horrible experience with Syswan’s Dualwank – arg! It’s buggy as hell, and has failed to actually properly balance two WAN connections at all. Rubbish!

Comment by pgl — May 25, 2010 @ 9:26 am

28. I used Soekris products for years and I am concinced this is the best and chepest way if you want a serious router for multible wan connecttions etc.. It is aimed for small companyes but the price is not much compared to what you get for the money. Just dont buy the old models cus they can not carry so much speed cus of there small cpu and memory, maybe only around 30 – 50 mbit on the wan side..

But this will do the job:

htt p://www.soekris.com/net5501.htm

All ethernet ports are totally flexible and can be configured to wan ports with fallover..

Hope this helps :-)

Regards
    Frank

Comment by Frank — May 26, 2010 @ 11:51 am

29. Hi Roy, thanks for the tip. Just being curious: which download speed do you have with the combined connections?

Comment by Daniel — May 26, 2010 @ 11:58 am

• I’m getting around 9 mbit, which is spot on with my 5mbit ADSL and 4mbit cable.

Comment by Roy — May 27, 2010 @ 10:57 am

30. oh yes and I have good experience with m0n0wall for configuring the routers, it is http based and not much harder to set up than a normal mainstream router.. But many diffent linux, bsd systems can run on them.

Comment by Frank — May 26, 2010 @ 12:00 pm

31. The Soekris net5501 runs almost with full 100mbit on the wan side as well as the lan.. All the ports can work as wan/lan acording to what you set it up to be. You can bundle the connections, make fallover, and even use a range of ip’s from the wan side if you have more from your isp. There is not much limits to how you can config it.

The price ofcourse is a bit more than a mainstream router, but this routers will be your friend for the next 5 years at least, and there is always possiblitys to chance some things along the way. And the best of all is that this is really stable and realible hardware.

Remember flash, power supply etc.

There is also Snapgear roputers, we use then at my work too, but they are pretty expencive:

/Frank

Comment by Frank — May 26, 2010 @ 12:25 pm

32. Just an FYI on Snapgear stuff.. McAfee, who bought Secure Computing, who bought Cyberguard, who bought Snapgear who were originally Morton Bay have decided to End-of-Life the entire Snapgear range over the next few years.

Comment by Anthony — May 31, 2010 @ 3:06 pm

33. We are using a Syswan Duolinks SW24 router with DSL + cable without any problems. The setup has been running well for the past 6+ months now.

Comment by Pin_k — July 10, 2010 @ 2:48 pm

I’m interested to hear how effective the failover and load balancing work in practice on the DrayTek. If one connection falls over or you manually pull it, does your internet link continue to work uninterrupted? Do you use VOIP and what happens if you’re on a VOIP call?

Kevin

Comment by Kevin — July 29, 2010 @ 5:29 am

• Hi Kevin,

I do use voip, but through the ADSL modem/router. If one of the connections fails, new connections are automatically made through the other. Streams will probably be interrupted, but it’s so seamless that I didn’t even notice the first failure when it occurred. Not until a day later, when I happened to log into the Draytek’s web interface :).

Comment by Roy — August 4, 2010 @ 11:31 am

Have you ever tested it while on a VOIP call? Does the call drop out requiring you to call again or does it automatically fail over?

Kevin

Comment by Kevin — August 4, 2010 @ 1:12 pm

36. Roy,

Thanks for the blog on dual wan routers. It helped me select the Vigor 2910. Can’t be happier with the price, ease of setup, load balancing and failover. Have been using the router for a couple of weeks and it is rock solid.

Comment by KP — September 11, 2010 @ 1:31 pm

37. DrayTek release a new model ie Vigor 2920 after Vigor 2910, with its Gb high speed WAN/LAN interface,
    we could have real high speed connection for different services servers applied in our office. http://www.draytek.com/user/PdListbyCategory.php?action=LoadData&Typeid=61

Comment by Keith — September 21, 2010 @ 4:17 am

38. Does anyone know if one of these would combine two connections such as satellite and ISDN to give a better connection? I live in the boonies, no cell service, and these are the only two I can get. I like the lag time with ISDN but need a better download speed.

Comment by Dustian — September 28, 2010 @ 2:45 am

• Hi Dustian. The whole point to these routers is that they indeed combine two WAN connections. In your case you should probably set up the QoS settings so your download clients use the fastest connection, and other applications to use ISDN. The DrayTek will let you use ports, internal IPs and other factors to create load balancing rules about this.

Comment by Roy — September 28, 2010 @ 12:47 pm

39. @Dustian You might want to check out ZeroShell: http://www.zeroshell.net/

Comment by pgl — September 28, 2010 @ 9:04 am

40. Don’t get this post. Type “Dual WAN” into amazon.com or newegg.com and you will get a large list of available devices like the Linksys/Cisco RV042 among many others. Or simply use any dd-wrt capable router and use this guide to make it a dual WAN: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Dual_WAN_with_failover (many more guides with dual wan sharing instead of failover). Maybe Dual WAN was different back in 2007.

Comment by Snort1 — October 8, 2010 @ 8:39 pm

41. With instable cable atm i’m seriously considering getting a backupline as well. Im currently on 120mbit (Ziggo) but in my city the laid out fibre. it enters the house on the other side which makes it even more reliable. So i was looking in to this, but the draitek mentioned here wont be suited with 100mbps lan-lan and 50mbps wan-lan.

I came to the dd-wrt solution but found out my router (Dlink dir-655) isnt supported, and probably never will be… Does anyone know if the dd-wrt would support >100mbps on say a gbit dd-wrt capable router?

Comment by lrdev — November 15, 2010 @ 1:10 pm

42. You may consider Draytek Vigor 2920 ( Dual Wan ) or Vigor 2130 ( Giga Wan + 3.5G modem support )

Comment by Tony — November 15, 2010 @ 4:38 pm

43. Note: the Draytek Vigor 2920 has a hard limit of 8 IPs allowed. Which is kind of crazy.

Comment by pgl — November 15, 2010 @ 4:51 pm

44. Review of six (6) Dual WAN Routers – TechWorld.com – August 2010

And there are several other current products that were not reviewed like Cisco’s Small Business RV042 Dual WAN VPN Router.

So, in fact, they are still being made and readily available.

Comment by FuguRitual — December 28, 2010 @ 8:33 am

45. I’m using Cisco/Linksys RV082 (now it could be more than 15 months) and I can’t tell anything bad about it. Only my wife don’t like Cisco design, so actually it’s running in the attic with occupied all LAN and WAN ports. Another reason to put it away from living room was little smell produced by that device. It’s stable, easy to use and manage – small business class product which could be used with satisfaction . For home could be enough Cisco/Linksys RV042.
    I’m also using three Draytek Vigor 2700VG, but just as ADSL routers on another links. When you set up many of it’s functions – for example VPN, wifi, port forwarding… it will freeze every 3 months. On helpdesk of my seller they said to me, that it’s not constructed for such load. But without big expectations it works very well.

Comment by hag — January 28, 2011 @ 8:55 pm

46. I have in the past thought I had a need for a dual WAN router but I have really found that it is really an unnecessary convenience even though I need internet and have 2 broadband connections.

All you really need to do is use 2 broadband connections each with its own router configured for the same subnet. Turn off DHCP on the router to be the secondary, define one routers LAN side IP to something like 192.168.1.1 and the other to something like 192.168.1.254. Now connect rthe LAN ports together and you have a single LAN with two internet gateways. If a new client connects he will get an IP dynamically from the primary connection router , because it has a DHCP server. If the primary connection fails or if some devices should always use the secondary connection , just give them a static IP using the gateway address of the secondary connection router’s IP.

And of course all devices are available on the same LAN

I will be posting this solution to http://www.teknogeekz.com in the blog section in detail

Comment by Mark — March 13, 2011 @ 8:53 pm

• Hi Mark, but the setup you’re describing, clever as it is, still doesn’t have automatic failover, right? And the only way to do load balancing is to change gateways on computers? Plus you need two router, which put together cost as much as a similar quality dual-wan router?

Comment by Roy — March 13, 2011 @ 10:30 pm

47. Roy,
    Clearly it is not automatic load balancing, and it is not failover. If for instance you have one computer always downloading torrents and VoIP phones on the same LAN, you can use it to ensure that your torrents are not consuming the bandwidth for your VoIP phones.

The groovy part ios that all remains on the same LAN so you can still copy files across servers and shares no matter what broadband they connect to.

I too have employed the TP-Link Dual WAN routers and highly recommend them, that is as long as you are not using Polycom VoIP phones. as the DHCP server seems to fail with some models of the Polycom 301s and 500s. The polycoms are also quirky on the Linksys cisco dual WAN routes as well and the result there is they will always get the incorrect time from the router unless you happen to be at GMT 0.

I have yet to find a dual WAN router that does all that it claims. I did once install a Dlink that had the problematic Polycoms and it worked fine, although some VoIP phones had issues with the NAT on it.

Comment by Mark — May 30, 2011 @ 9:29 pm

48. I found all these oppinions in this forum very interesting. I added to favorites all the marks that were aforemencioned to check personally what products offers them.

I’m using Cisco RV082 (discontinued and with hardware prior to V3, not supported by Cisco) and I just looking a router similar Cisco RV016. I think that’s dificult to find another one same as Cisco RV016 characteristics, which has 5 WAN/LAN multirole ports but no 1000Mbps LAN ports; it hasn´t WiFi (but considering RV16 case is not an issue) and I’not sure about IPv6 support if hardware is prior to V3 that are hardware versions still supported by Cisco.

I can’t found in Cisco website if Cisco is selling a new version/edition/hardware similar to RV016 on their characteristics but “modernized” at least with 1000Mbps LAN ports, IPv6 capable, VoIP optimized etc. I will see on the sellers aforemencioned what I can find.

Comment by Nelson — June 9, 2011 @ 9:39 pm

49. Hi roy,
    you can try the Lanpro Lp-lb404, Cisco RV082 8-port 10/100 VPN Router – Dual WAN, Cisco RV016 16-port 10/100 VPN Router – Multi WAN, and many others depends how much you want to spend, but all this products works fine, I dont recomend Tp-Link products, I preffer to work with wired routers then use ap for wifi.

Comment by max — June 28, 2011 @ 4:18 am

50. Hey Roy,

The company I work for uses http://www.fusionappliances.com/products/interlink-gateway for a year now. We got tired of constant internet downtime (about 30min every day from our main ADSL provider) and me and the other sysadmin got fed up with constant bickering and having to change lines every day. So we proposed this to our tech manager and he agreed.

We’re about 30 employees using it and it works like a charm. It doesn’t “bond” connections and instead routing is done at TCP level from what I can tell. We’ve never needed to reset it and it’s got some other cool features. The bandwidth aggregation worked without any kind of tweaking right after I configured the two lines.

It’s an awesome business router and I’d buy one for home use, but it’s a little expensive for me :)

Comment by Dude — October 3, 2011 @ 2:41 pm