Finally, a new WP-Cumulus update

It’s been a while since I released the last version of WP-Cumulus. I’ve been very busy with client work, but there were a few important little fixes and features I wanted to release. The most requested of those probably is that the Flash movie now supports the ‘target’ attribute. I’ve also made the XML path (from which the XML file is loaded) configurable. Both these features are of use only to people not using WordPress, but they were requested so frequently that I decided to add them in.

There’s also a new option to not hide the regular HTML tag cloud. WP-Cumulus outputs this as part of the ‘alternate content’ shown to people without Flash. But because the HTML cloud is usually larger (in display size) than the Flash one, some users were experiences a nasty ‘twitch’ when the alternate content was replaced through javascript. You can now choose to keep hiding it (default), or not it using the new option. Not hiding the HTML cloud may be beneficial in terms of SEO, and offers users without Flash the option to use tags. Oh and the widget title is now optional as well. If you don’t enter anything, no title will be displayed. This was requested by quite a few people as well.

If you’re using WP-Cumulus, please upgrade to 1.21.

1. Sweeet! I use this on my WordPress… its really cool!

Comment by Prentice W. — May 26, 2009 @ 6:08 am

2. Thx, I updated right now.

Comment by GhostLyrics — May 26, 2009 @ 6:42 am

3. Hi Roy, I really enjoy your plug-in and want to add it to my webpage. I can add the plug-in as a widget just fine, but I want to put that cumulus plug-in at the bottom of my webpage, right next to my flickr pictures. The only problem is I just can’t get it to load. Maybe it’s because it’s not attached to a widget or on a post/page.
    The error message I get is “WP Cumulus Flash tag cloud by Roy Tanck requires Flash Player 9 or better.” but I have Adobe Flash Player 10. My only way I could figure to display wp-cumulus at the bottom was to put a widget called tab.php with it which gives the option of displaying video/tag cloud/most popular. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Comment by John — May 28, 2009 @ 2:18 pm

• Hi John. Your website has quite a few XML parsing errors that might interfere with WP-Cumulus. You should try getting those out or enable the ‘compatibility mode’ under Settings -> WP Cumulus.

Comment by Roy — May 28, 2009 @ 3:28 pm

4. Thanks Roy for your advice! I’m not too proficient in html coding. I’ve been copying and pasting a lot from a few themes I acquired from web2feel.com. That’s prolly why it doesn’t work. But once again, I appreciate your help. kudos! =)

Comment by John — May 29, 2009 @ 12:18 am

5. I have been looking for this for a week since I saw it. I have never been interested in tag clouds until now. So I find it and install it…it worked fine in Google Chrome. I installed it on another blog and looked in Firefox and got the above message. So…I went and got Adobe 10 and now it doesn’t work on Google Chrome either. I tried the compatibility mode mentioned above and get nothing.

So it occurs to me that if the reader does not have Flash 9 or higher they will just see a tag box.

I know it can work because I saw it work on mine (until I went to Adobe 10) and I have seen it around. Bites that I won’t be able to use it. Nice work on it though, it’s awesome when working.

Comment by Lee — May 31, 2009 @ 12:48 pm

6. Hi Lee. Have you checked your site using validator.w3.org? Your website really has an awful lot of markup errors. So many in fact that I’m not sure the compatibility mode will help. It’s a little strange that the Flash version makes any kind of difference at all, but I’m pretty sure the errors are causing your issues.

Comment by Roy — May 31, 2009 @ 9:36 pm

7. this is really not just a cumulus question, but also a flash question:
    i downloaded your source files- tag.as and tagcloud.as. which do i convert to tagcloud.swf? can you list the compile steps?

btw i am using sothink.com’s trial software. any good but free swf creator and editor you can point to? newbie flash developer here.

Comment by cumulus — June 1, 2009 @ 5:22 pm

• You’ll need Flash CS3 or better. Other than FlashDevelop, I’m not aware of any solution that can compile Flash movies, and I’m sure there isn’t one that’s easier. In Flash it’s as simple as opening the project and clicking ‘Publish…’. And if you’re serious about learning Flash, there’s no real substitute.

Comment by Roy — June 1, 2009 @ 7:27 pm

8. Hi Roy, Thank you for the beautiful plugin! My wordpress blog is in Hungarian language and there is an important tag: TETŐTÉRBEÉPÍTÉSEK. The 4th letter of the tag is “Ő” – an O with two slashes on the top. In the cloud it appears: TETTBEÉPÍTÉSEK, so the 4th letter is not displayed. Can I do something to change this? Has it got something to do with the codepages?
    Any help of you is really appreciated! Thanks, George

Comment by Gyuri — June 3, 2009 @ 6:03 pm

9. I love your plugin. I’m wondering how to define the xml file, though.

Comment by Will Davis — June 3, 2009 @ 6:36 pm

10. Scratch that, I found your post on repurposing the plugin.

Comment by Will Davis — June 3, 2009 @ 6:41 pm

11. Awesome plugin! Thanks, it provides the contrasting design element we were looking for,… with functionality to boot. One request – consider making the border onmouseover a user editable option.

Comment by Eric — June 12, 2009 @ 3:17 pm

12. Cool plugin. I’m owner of the Hypergraph project (on sourceforge) and have been asked whether Hypergraph can be used as a wordpress plugin. I simply refer them to your plugin – it’s much better.

Kudos for your plugin,

Jens.

Comment by Jens Kanschik — June 17, 2009 @ 10:58 pm

• Hi Jens. Thanks for referring people, but I do think you’re selling your project short. Cumulus is a random collection of tags whereas Hypergraph is all about relationships. If you would be able to group related tags or categories you might be on to something much bigger than my silly little Flash movie.

Comment by Roy — June 18, 2009 @ 9:14 am

I’m trying to have the title of the widget as a hyperlink to a WordPress page, but if I put an type thing in to the Title field, it clears it when I submit. Is there a solution?

Comment by Alex — June 20, 2009 @ 12:18 pm

• Hi Alex. It is common WordPress behavior to strip out html from fields. Cumulus does this too, but it’s easy to remove from the plugin’s code. Look for strip_tags in wp-cumulus.php.

Comment by Roy — June 21, 2009 @ 9:15 am

I can put in a URL now, thanks for the tip!

I do have a slight problem still though. I put something like this into the title field

Title

but WordPress changes this, after I click Save, to

Title

If I click on the widget title, I’m directed to this link

The only way around it seems to be to omit the speech marks in the anchor tag, but of course this won’t validate.

(And for any one else, I change the line “strip_tags(stripslashes($_POST["wpcumulus_widget_title"]));” to “$_POST["wpcumulus_widget_title"];”)

Comment by Alex — June 21, 2009 @ 11:51 am

15. Oops! Forgot the comments field would convert the example to actual links!

The first is

Title

Second

Title

What I’m trying to say is, WordPress seems to be trying to escape the quotations with backslashes.

Apologies again!

Comment by Alex — June 21, 2009 @ 11:53 am

16. Grrr! :D

Comment by Alex — June 21, 2009 @ 11:56 am

• Hmmm… I didn’t anticipate that. My PHP skills are actually quite limited :). Did you remove the strip_slashes too? There’s always the option to hard-code the link, but that’s less than elegant…

Comment by Roy — June 21, 2009 @ 1:24 pm

17. I did, yes. I’m more than happy to hardcode the link though. What lines would I need to change?

Comment by Alex — June 21, 2009 @ 3:14 pm

18. You should look for this line:

<?php echo $before_title . $options['title'] . $after_title; ?>

And replace the $options['title'] bit.

Comment by Roy — June 21, 2009 @ 6:57 pm

19. Ah that does the trick. You’re a genius :D

Thanks very much for all the help Roy!

Comment by Alex — June 21, 2009 @ 7:40 pm

20. Hi ,

Cant i use cumulus on any other site than wordpress, I have a site in which i dont host wordpress can i host cumulus there also

Thanks
    Saurabh

Comment by Saurabh — June 23, 2009 @ 11:55 am

I’m a Chinese,so I want transtion your wp-cumulus to a chinese display plane,but I can’t get that.
    when I done it,some Garbled display。so,how can I get that。

Comment by yujjj — July 26, 2009 @ 2:21 pm

thanks for this wonderful tagcloud.

I would like to ask if is there anyway to refresh the tags almost immediately when a person makes a post?

regards

Comment by dualmp — September 4, 2009 @ 5:09 am

• Hi dualmp. That will only happen if you have very few tags. Once there are more than 45 the system will show the most frequently used ones, not the newest. This is a limitation in WP, not so much my plugin.

Comment by Roy — September 4, 2009 @ 8:09 am

23. hi Roy,
    I’m a newbie about your awesome swf :)

…so… I have a little question: is possible to add something like “… href=”#” onclick=”javascript:function_inside_page_where_the_swf_is_loaded();” inside the xml?
    instead of standard link?

thanks for patience,
    keebOo.

Comment by keebOo — September 15, 2009 @ 3:47 pm

• Hi KeebOo. The links are handled by Flash, and Flash handles javascript links differently. The way it currently works is that only the href argument is used, and it can not contain javascript: links. You’d need to modify the movie to be able to call js functions.

Comment by Roy — September 16, 2009 @ 11:25 am

24. Any chance we’ll be able to chose or limit which tags are in the cloud. Perhaps a top 20 most popular to really show off what is trending on the site?

Comment by Grant — September 16, 2009 @ 1:16 am

• Hi Grant. The wp-tag_cloud parameters let you limit the number of tags, and choose how the order them. Unfortunately there’s now ‘order by recentness’ param though. Because WP-Cumulus is merely a front-end for that function there’s little I can do to change that.

Comment by Roy — September 16, 2009 @ 11:12 am

25. Sir i can’t use this plugin. Kindly give me the procedure how to make it on my mail id (jeet8888@hotmail.com)

Comment by Jiten — September 23, 2009 @ 7:40 am

26. Hi KeebOo. Solution is : href=”javascript:alert(‘ok’)”.

Comment by Xamelyon — October 30, 2009 @ 8:48 pm

27. this ones cool…
    gotta have this…thanks roy!

Comment by Aaron2009 — December 17, 2009 @ 12:31 pm