Chromium for Linux rocks!

Chromium logoI’ve written a lot of posts about the advantages for running Linux on my netbook. Unfortunately there’s been one application I haven’t been able to get to run smoothly under Ubuntu 9.04. Firefox. No matter how many little tweaks I used, it remained unusably slow, and would drift in and out of conscienceness even when simply using a single tab to check my Gmail. For a machine I use primarily to do that kind of stuff, not having a decent browser was a major problem.

I’ve been using Google Chrome on my Vista PC since day one and I think it’s an amazing browser. It’s one of the few pieces of software I really missed on Ubuntu. I tried Opera, which was a little quicker, but couldn’t get used to it. I even considered giving up and going back to Windows. But as it turns out, the development version of Chromium is pretty stable already, and really, really fast.

Chromium is the open source project behind Chrome, and besides the less colorful logo it’s nearly impossible to tell them apart. Because it’s a development version, it’s a little harder to install, but this great post will guide you through that with ease. I had it up and running in minutes.

I’d given an much earlier release a try a while ago, and back then it used to crash every couple of minutes. The current 4.0.202.0 version is still a little less stable than the the Windows version is, but it’s entirely usable. And the performance is simply amazing. And if you, like me, don’t like that bright blue default color scheme very much, Chromium even supports the new Chrome themes.

Roy | August 13, 2009 | English,Software | Comments (12)
Tags: , , , ,

1. pretty useful, I’ve been waiting for it for a while… I also tried early versions but weren’t good enough… will try this one

Comment by david — August 14, 2009 @ 1:52 pm

2. Try using SRware IRON. It’s a browser based on the Chromium source, but without the google spyware and with a few extra stuff:

I believe there should be a .tar.gz on this page: http://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=560

Comment by Dan — August 18, 2009 @ 9:02 pm

3. Hum, You can simply install google chrome (not chromium) on linux with the .deb package.. lol.. see more here: http://androidtux.co.cc/posts/gchrome-alpha/

Comment by AndroidTux — August 19, 2009 @ 10:00 pm

4. This is not final realease for chrome, be carefull for your privacy. I like better wait for final Chrome linux release by google.

Comment by jangrahmat — August 22, 2009 @ 10:57 am

5. Seriously?! …. Man!! … Chromium is horrible in Linux…. make me a favor: Test Chrome in Windows and tell me the difference. Chromium is slow and very, very, very buggy in Linux.
    Please, next time make your critic when you finish make a test in all the systems.

Comment by LucasXIIHK — August 24, 2009 @ 11:42 pm

6. i’m still waiting for stable version on my ubuntu this Chromium.. but ‘yes’ still slow

Comment by mancai — August 25, 2009 @ 8:23 pm

7. for lucas
    Please!!! If you haven’t got a normal machine and you have one slowwwwww you can say that…. but what??no you say that chromium (only chromium no your pc) is slow……0-0 incredible…. chromium is the faster it’s woaaaw you want to open and it’s open before even that you open.
    it’s clearly better than chrome, and it’s faster on linux than in window$ (pure shit)

don’t say nonsense.

greetings

Comment by jakeukalane — September 30, 2009 @ 3:26 am

8. Lucas, Jakeukalane, let keep it civilized. I guess since Chromium on Linux is still a development release mileage may vary depending on what you run it on both in terms of hardware and software. It simply may not work well for some users. That being said, I run Chromium on the slowest hardware money can buy these days (a 1.6 GHz Atom netbook with 1 GB of RAM) and it’s a lot faster than any alternative.

Comment by Roy — September 30, 2009 @ 9:04 am

9. I’m running 4.0.256 on my box (32 bits sempron 2400 w/ 512 Mb RAM). I have nothing to complain about performance, specially opening: It takes less than 3 seconds to open!! :)

About stability, I haven’t reported any issues until now. I’m just using flash player plugin, nothing else.

Comment by Paulo — November 24, 2009 @ 12:40 am

10. D: … seriously …. Chrome in Windows starts in 1.8 seconds, and Chromium in Ubuntu starts in 4.8 …. and don’t make me talk about the flash engine …. Firefox is still the best option in Linux Systems…

Comment by LucasXIIHK — November 27, 2009 @ 7:54 pm

11. About that user with name Lucas, he is a professional lier.

He is a student with aim to be computer technician from Mar de Plata, Argentina.

He doesnt know Chrome went beta on Linux, and runs really well on Linux, no crashes at all (this includes Flash).

He is 20 years old and an ignorant, if you want to see how he showed himself behing the masks, look here:

ps he has been banned from several blogs

Comment by Xavi — January 11, 2010 @ 9:40 pm

12. Xavi said the true, Lucas is a lier, one of his hobbys is to disturb Linux users.
    We banned him from ower website.

Comment by tux — February 9, 2010 @ 7:06 pm