So, are you an Apple, Microsoft or Google fan?

There are three corporate giants that dominate tech news. All of them have recently made headlines with innovative new products, and all of them have a dedicated following among tech fans, and are hated intensely by just as many. Time to gather pros and cons for Google, Microsoft and Apple and decide who truly deserves your devotion. Please feel free to add yours in the comments.

Apple

SweetSour
Creates some of the best looking devices in the businessExpensive high-end products, ‘Apple tax
Focused on ease of use, user experienceShady, restrictive app approval system for iPhone apps
To be cherished as the only real competitor for Microsoft until Linux catches on moreThe minute you get a Mac it is replaced by a newer, faster model for the same price
Degree of devotion among fans is just plain scary

Microsoft

64 bit64 Kb
From what I hear, Windows 7 is actually pretty goodExpensive, closed source software with restrictive licensing model
No app approval madness for mobile OS, open to anyoneStill absolutely clueless when it comes to the internet
Bill Gates supports a lot of good causesLong history of pushing own standards and ignoring/sabotaging others

Google

FoundLost
Offers just about everything it does for freeKnows where you are, what you’re doing and probably what you’re thinking
Embraces open source software, open standardsExcels at making clean interfaces that are still slightly confusing
Reinvented email with Gmail, about to do the same for GPS navigationNothing they do looks really sexy, even if it’s potentially revolutionary like Wave
No app approval madness for mobile OS (open source)

I personally prefer Google’s way of doing business and I love a lot of their products and services. But that’s just me. Pledge your allegiance!

1. Got be honest I’m a fan and addictive user of all three.

Work on my Windows 7 notebook

Media Centre on my Leopard Mac G5

and all my email, calender, task, geolocations, docs through Google

Love it!

Comment by Ben Lumley — October 29, 2009 @ 4:33 pm

2. A very big Apple fan, Love Google cause of it’s free services. Hate Microsoft.

Comment by Oday Nasser — October 29, 2009 @ 10:05 pm

3. Used to be a Windows user, until Vista. Bought a Mac and been happy ever since. Although, a WEEK after I bought my mac was the keynote, when the Unibodies were made Pro for the same price. My fault for not checking I guess. Google is good also :)

Comment by jamietabb — October 30, 2009 @ 10:22 pm

4. I am a fan of Windows XP and Microsoft Office, but not a whole lot else. I was very excited when I found out that I could buy a netbook with XP on it, and that has worked out amazingly well! Typing on it now, actually.

Also a fan of Google. I got my email address back when you had to be invited by a friend to do so. Been a fan ever since. Still don’t get Chrome though…

Comment by Dan Smith — October 30, 2009 @ 11:27 pm

5. I’ve been using Macs for nearly 20 years and my experiences with Microsoft have been predictably frustrating. But you make good points about Mac’s iPhone app approval system being a bad sign for the future and Bill Gates’ laudable philanthropy.

Google are just great. But maybe too great and too powerful.

Personally I’m a fan of Roy Tanck because he’s made a beautiful tag cloud creating plugin for WordPress that is to die for! (Sorry this is off-topic – I was having trouble commenting on the plugin’s busy homepage.) Thank you!

Comment by Rob Cubbon — November 9, 2009 @ 2:39 pm

6. I am a true Apple fan. I bought my first mac (MacBook) in 2007. In the same time I also bought my first iPod. Today I have the MacBook and a new iPhone 3GS 16 GB. They keep in sync with my MobileMe account.

I still have my old PC from 2001, but I do not like that computer :)

Comment by Patrik — November 15, 2009 @ 1:25 am

7. Link: Etes vous Google, Apple ou Microsoft ? | TuniBOX
  8. I think that Microsoft has done a wonderful job of spreading the rumor that Google is too vast and powerful. Ironic. Other than that, I find them the enemy of innovation. They will get along great with Rupert if that News Corp deal goes through.

People complain that Mac is all about the label, but I have both Macs and PCs and the last time I replaced my laptops, the PC equivalent to a Mac was $1500 more expensive, and it was running Vista. Much as I love Mac, they seem to base decisions about system requirements based on what Steve has in his office, like getting rid of disk drives because he had his own T3 line when most of us were still on 56K modems.

But from the first time ever I saw their interface I’ve loved Google. It’s amazing that 2 innovative brains could also be so good at running a business that they can give away so much. And there’s nothing about me that some agency doesn’t already have archived to ensure I pay my taxes after the Big One. But I trust only Google not to abuse that info, like when the government “had to have” that search info “for National Security” and then decided they could do with less after Google told them to go stuff it. Plus Google Earth!

Comment by artsavant — November 29, 2009 @ 12:03 pm

9. I was personally delighted when Vista came out because it really showed how Microsoft f viewed there users. XP was decent and I used it a lot but only because there were two programs I needed to use in my shop. For personal use, I’ve been a Mac user for going on 10 years. I have only had one incident where the hard drive crashed (compared to 3 on various PCs). In fact, you can count on one hand how many times my newest Macbook has even frozen up over the course of 3 years now. Google has become an internet powerhouse and with that comes a lot of scrutiny and responsibility to the people. I use various apps from them, Gmail, Analytics, AdWords, etc. and they perform well, however I do feel they are on the verge of, if not already, infringing on a lot of rights. I think they need to get divided up a little bit and that would allow for better regulation. Overall, Mac has its downfalls just like everyone but I still prefer and highly recommend them. Microsoft… eh, it works, half the time. And Google, its the best of its kind, for now.

Comment by shaun — December 6, 2009 @ 1:12 am

10. I simply hate Apple. (I can actually mention way more reasons than the ones stated there)

Comment by thedamncuban — December 8, 2009 @ 7:56 am

11. I’m a fan of Apple, but capable of using Microsoft only and use Google much.

Comment by hasan — December 11, 2009 @ 4:04 am

12. I Love apple devices only, since they invented iPhone, iPod, but i dislike apple applications, But Google still the revoluctionary on appilications, and microsoft is only a question of history in the market.

Sorry for my bad english

Comment by Pedro Vaz_from_ANGOLA — December 15, 2009 @ 3:49 pm

13. Why stick with just one of them? Isn’t that type of monopoly what we should avoid?

If one truly wants simplicity, hire a valet who is responsible for all your technical needs. Otherwise, be a smart consumer and adopt what fits your needs.

Even the technophobic can find some offering from each of these and more that suit their needs.

For the technophiles, Linux and MythTV are musts.

Short answer, Roy’s assessment has merit.

Comment by Stuart Harden — December 30, 2010 @ 6:39 pm

14. windows for ever… was disappointed with vista…but with 7 MS are back to the top I guess…
    Apple, they have I phone which made me forget if other phone exist…apart from that its just a pompous crap..
    well google not a fan..but there is almost not any option.

Comment by ashis — June 14, 2011 @ 10:51 pm

15. Google was invented by God to fight evil Microsoft! :) dont you agree?

Comment by Imants — July 6, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

16. I’m not a fan of any of them. But, I mean, what the hell man? The following points apply to Microsoft, but not to Apple? If you think so you are clueless, because in reality they apply more to Apple than anyone else in this business.

– Expensive, closed source software with restrictive licensing model
    – Long history of pushing own standards and ignoring/sabotaging others

Comment by chaty — January 11, 2012 @ 11:53 pm