Help me test WP-Cumulus unicode support

The one feature I’ve always wanted to add to WP-Cumulus is true unicode support. Flash player 9 made this impossible because it needed to have the font characters embedded into the movie, and unicode fonts are simply too big for that. But with Flash 10, Adobe has introduced new ways of handling text, and those now allow for non-embedded text to be animated quite smoothly. There’s also no longer any need to specify an exact font name, you can simply tell the player to get a sans-serif font. Flash player 10 is on over 93% of computers now, so it starts to make sense to use it to finally add this long-awaited feature to WP-Cumulus.

This movie requires Flash Player 10 or better.

I’ve created a test movie (above) that uses these new features, and I’m anxious to find out if it works for you, especially if you’re in Asia, Russia or anywhere else with a non-Latin character set.

What are you seeing?

• Are you seeing all 45 tags (approximately), in many languages?
  • Are you seeing your (non-Latin) language?
  • Any other issues?
  • Do you want me to add your language to the test? Post the language name here.

Please leave a comment below and tell me if the movie works as it should. Thanks!

1. Link: WP Cumulus: 可视化的3D Flash标签云Wordpress插件 | 被猪拱翻的夏天
  2. 将中文译成英语
    For your plug-in, in the Chinese version is not able to show, I hope for your help

Comment by 迷失 — November 8, 2010 @ 4:40 am

3. How can i download WP-Cumulus unicode for test it?
    Thanks

Comment by GGG — November 9, 2010 @ 10:45 pm

4. You’re my hero, man! I have a wordpress blog use 2 unicode language (Vietnamese + Chinese) .. how can i download it?

Comment by Mr.Lonely — November 24, 2010 @ 5:53 pm

5. Link: プラグイン「WP-Cumulus」追加 - なにそれ?おいしいの?

First, huge thanks for creating WP-Cumulus !
    I can see most of the tags in the test movie but it misses French… ;-)

I have a “technical” (no high-level here) question :

I use your wonderful tag-cloud via Blogumus and I’ve encountered a problem with accents.
    I’m already cheered-up as I found your post “How to add more characters to WP-Cumulus”…

But one point remains unclear to me : will embedding the characters I miss correct the tags’ links ?
    Let me use an example, If I click on the “Québec” tag in my blog :

Blogumus request is generating the URL :
    This URL creates a query for blogposts tagged “Qu�bec” and this doesn’t return any article…

While the ugly 2D Blogger’s Tag cloud generates the URL :
    which does returns the correct articles…

So will those links created by Blogumus be corrected if I embed French characters on tagcloud.fla. ?

Thanks in advance for your help,
    And congratulations again for your amazing work !

Comment by Jerry — January 27, 2011 @ 11:22 am

7. OK, I’ve gived it a try : I’ve changed the tagcloud.fla and uploaded a new tagcloud.swf with more characters but that didn’t help. I should have known this is a different matter as the “é” accents were already correctly displayed. The problem really is with the “%E9″ or “%C3%A9″ that replace the “é” in the URL…

Any clues on how to change that ? Should I search inside the blogumus bit of code I’ve pasted in Blogger’s template or in the swfobject.js file ? Any help would be much appreciated ! Thanks !

Comment by Jerry — January 27, 2011 @ 6:24 pm

• Hi Jerry. Actually I’m not sure. I didn’t write Blogumus. This sounds like a character encoding issue in either the html snippet, or the XML file (if Blogumus uses that). If it’s in the XML, you won’t need to escape characters, since it’s a utf-8 file.

Comment by Roy — January 28, 2011 @ 8:50 pm

8. Hi Can you add sinhala unicode ??

here is some

සිංහල

Thanks :)

Comment by Ykani — January 30, 2011 @ 9:37 am

9. Hello,

My language is hungarian.
    I just tried to add some more glyphs in Flash CS4 but after I made new swf file, nothing appeared on the screen.

Then I tried to save as Flash CS3 format, but it is still not working.

What can I do for it?
    Can someone help me?

Thank you so much in advance!

Comment by Laszlo — February 17, 2011 @ 11:38 am

10. Can you add an Armenian language to this flash player ?
    Best Regards,
    armenian young man.

Comment by Karen — February 19, 2011 @ 5:23 pm

11. nice work. persian(farsi) is completely supported.

Comment by Mohsen Derakhshan — February 27, 2011 @ 11:00 am

• Hello. Where did you download the persian version from? Was it this link

I downloaded that, and replaced that swf with the original. The tags are appearing fine, but they aren’t rotating. You have any idea why?

I tried downloading the source code and work around it myself by embedding the characters and such, but the text was ltr and not rtl, and the characters were not sticking with each other like in persian.

I really appreciate your help.

Comment by Ghassan Barghouti — May 12, 2012 @ 10:21 pm

12. Hey there,

absolutely great Plugin. It looks very good and looks much better…..

Great Job Thank you.

Regards

Comment by Schnäppchen Blog — March 17, 2011 @ 4:59 pm

13. How ready is Chinese Tag Cloud Roy?

Comment by James — March 31, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

14. It’s wonderful, I’m so anxious to use it!
    Look forward to your unicode update, Roy.

Comment by Anarki — April 2, 2011 @ 10:16 am

15. thanx man

but i think this mod don’t work in Arabic forums

can use other Character

Comment by mohamed — April 14, 2011 @ 3:41 am

16. I don’t know if you are still looking for feedback but it certainly seems to be working at the moment. Not that I can confirm the translations though.

Comment by Helene Generac — May 23, 2011 @ 9:20 am

17. Roy just how ready is Chinese Tag please?

Comment by James Wong — May 23, 2011 @ 11:25 am

18. hi, I want to use your plugin on a website in traditional chinese but it’s not working now, but according to this post it should work… or you still haven’t update the plugin to work with unicode?

Comment by Jimmy — June 9, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

• Unfortunately, the unicode-supporting version is still in the works. Sorry.

Comment by Roy — June 10, 2011 @ 9:43 am

19. Roy how do I unsubscribe from followup comments?

Comment by James — June 19, 2011 @ 6:23 am

• Hi James. There should be a link at the bottom of each page called “Manage subscriptions”. Clicking it takes you to a page where you can manage which post you’d like to be remain subscribed to (or not).

Comment by Roy — June 20, 2011 @ 10:48 am

20. Hi Roy you did a really good job i can see the Arabic tag and it’s working very well …. but i followed you tutorial
    but it didn’t work for me I Really hope you update the plugin with the “SWF” file in this topic or adding a new tutorial …. or just share the link for this one …..
    Keep up the GREAT WORK

:D

Comment by Haithm — July 17, 2011 @ 4:40 am

21. hi Roy and thank you for this unique and nice flash file, please help me , I try and try to add Persian language with cs5.5 trial but I have big problem , please see this image for see this issues,
    Separate letters of the words, but in your Unicode version every thing OK
    see image:
    I want edit for change font to Tahoma.
    sorry for my bad English, Please help to solve it

Comment by Ebrahim.A — July 18, 2011 @ 11:25 am

• The unicode test version uses a completely different approach, which requires a higher version of Flash (10). I’ll email you the sources.

Comment by Roy — July 19, 2011 @ 2:53 pm

22. Hello again,
    Roy’s if possible, give me your Unicode source, I need it.. please Roy I try and I worked several hours but I do not solved problem in the Persian language.
    I need to change font ,I Reade this article :
    “http://www.roytanck.com/2008/08/04/how-to-add-more-characters-to-wp-cumulus/”
    but But did not succeed to solved issues with Persian language., please help with give me your Unicode source Roy.

Comment by Ebrahim Alizadeh — July 18, 2011 @ 1:37 pm

23. Link: نسخه فارسی افزونه wp cumulus ! | وبلاگ تقلبی
  24. Hello Roy
    i really appreciate what have you done with wp_cumulus and all unicode support.
    i want use cumulus for my website in my language (Uyghur language from china Xinjiangb base on arabic), and try lot but tags show separate and left to right. please give some advise.

Font Information: http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?FMID=1782

Comment by Yasin — September 8, 2011 @ 11:48 am

25. maybe send me this unicode support source file. i’ll try it again.
    thanks lot.

Comment by Yasin — September 8, 2011 @ 11:51 am

26. Hi,

I tried to embed korean to your plugin with flash pro cs5 but couldn’t make it.
    So I tried to use san-serif font but couldn’t find it either.
    However, now I can see your cumulus shows korean.
    So I’d like to get the file so that i can use it.

Comment by HwangC — October 22, 2011 @ 10:02 pm

After somegoogling, I just enabled Nimbus extension with test page on my website (http://wiki.picassomap.com/index.php/Nim)

Yes, my utf8 category rendered well but when I click one of the tag swf asked wrong encoded character and could not open correct page…

Would be appreciating your comments and some guide.

Comment by Bernard — October 26, 2011 @ 8:27 am

28. Hello,

I’m having issues using wp-cumulus with french caracters such as é, è, ….
    The caracters apper correctly in the cloud but when in the link url, the link doesn’t work (same problem as Jerry).
    Could it be possible to test the unicode version ?
    If yes, could you please send me the corresponding source files ?

Comment by Steven — November 8, 2011 @ 4:07 pm

• I’m sorry, but the sources are not ready to be released yet.

Comment by Roy — November 9, 2011 @ 11:02 am

29. Hi, when the test version released?

Comment by Hugo — November 14, 2011 @ 7:20 pm

30. Hi Roy
    very good work!
    I used your plugin into my website http://www.arearicerche.it but it doesn’t move, it’s static.
    How can I fix it in order to obtain the original “cumulus movements?

Comment by Federica — December 16, 2011 @ 2:44 pm

• What I’m seeing on your page is not this plugin, but WordPress’s default tag cloud…

Comment by Roy — December 20, 2011 @ 10:29 am

Great plugin and in WordPress it works like a charm. But when trying to use it with Opencart I also encounter a problem with cyrillic charachters encoding: clicking the tag ‘настолни’ shows in my addressbar %ED%E0%F1%F2%EE%EB%ED%E8 which is accepted as a wrong address, so the browser shows 400 Error – bad request.

By the way I don’t see a cloud in your post, though I have Flash Player 11 installed (I use Chrome).

Comment by xSEOn — April 1, 2012 @ 8:13 pm

I want to use Greek on Wp Cumulus. I downloaded developer version, found tagcloud.fla but Macromedia flash 8 won’t open the file at all. It gives error “unexpected file format”. Any ideas what to do about this?

Many thanks for any help you can give. Unless you know someone somewhere who’s already done it in Greek? That would be fantastic!

Rini

Comment by rinibak — April 1, 2012 @ 11:37 pm

33. Hi,

how to disable links in the wp cumulus ?

Thanks for reply

Comment by produwordpress — April 2, 2012 @ 4:49 pm

34. Hello,

Where can I download this version to test?

I tried your article how-to-add-more-characters-to-wp-cumulus
    I got inverted words with separated letters. for example if there is a word
    عربي
    it become
    ي ب ر ع

I’m using Flash CS5, I exported the file as Flash10.
    I tried to use TLF text instead of Classic Text; the cloud display ……

I found a flash cloud at http://www.flashxml.net/tag-cloud.html that display Arabic words correctly by simply settings embed = false in the settings xml file.

Comment by PhpMax — May 12, 2012 @ 12:49 am

35. Hello Ghassan Barghouti ,

I tried your file; it is working fine; how they did it? do know where is the fla file for it?
    test drive:

To solve your problem; try this change wp-tag-cloud settings to not display categories.

Comment by PhpMax — May 12, 2012 @ 11:03 pm

36. Link: نمایش برچسب ها بصورت چرخشی در وردپرس با افزونه WP-Cumulus - سايت تخصصي ماهواره