Was Google’s Nexus One switched at birth?

If you’ve not been living under a rock these last few days (or weeks, even), you’ll know that Google has just announced (and released) its first ever mobile phone. Called the Nexus One, it represents Google’s vision of what an Android phone should be. And I’m pretty sure the sotfware is OK. It’s just that I find myself not liking the phone exterior design. I know I’ve dismissed Apple products as ‘style over substance’ in the past, but this thing looks like the HTC Touch from 2007. It might look a little better in real life, but the official stills look decidedly unexciting to me.

At the same time, HTC, who make the Nexus One, have a phone in their portfolio that looks a lot more like what I’d expect from a Google Phone. Its HD2 is a very sexy device that coincidentally has pretty much identical specs compared to the Nexus. It looks nothing like HTC’s other phones, yet runs boring old Windows Mobile. I’m telling you, these two devices were switched a birth. Somewhere deep inside HTC’s Taiwan development labs, a very sexy, top secret new Google Phone was designed, but delivered to the wrong software department. Meanwhile, the next boring Windows device was handed to the Android people.

Despite its bland looks, I’ll probably still get a Nexus One. I’ve been putting off getting an Android phone for way too long, and this is the new king of hill. But I’ll probably regret the terrible mixup for as long as I have it…

1. Haha, interesting thought Roy :P I am certainly planning on getting hold of one, but as you say the HD2 is a very sexy device. Google always has been a bit plain and boring, yet functional.

Comment by Luke Morton — January 7, 2010 @ 1:48 pm

2. I held an HD2 today and it’s even more amazing than I thought. It’s nearly all screen and really flat. It’s the first HTC phone I really like in terms of exterior design. And it’s also sort of understated, much like most Google designs. Simple rounded corners and buttons.

I agree that most Google design is plain, but it’s as if no thought went into it at all with the Nexus One. None of its shapes come from anything Google I’ve seen before.

Comment by Roy — January 8, 2010 @ 3:00 pm

3. Regarding Nexus One, I argue in a blog post here that Google doesn’t seem serious about really attracting buyers in droves to the Nexus One. If they did, why is the official Nexus One website so lackluster?

– Brian

Comment by brian — January 18, 2010 @ 12:55 am

4. I think the HTC Passion (HTC Bravo) is the Android Phone Google should have chossen for their phone. That phone looks really nice! I know the HD2 and the Passion looks a lot more like the HD2 that the Nexus one does.

Comment by Kau-Boy — January 25, 2010 @ 1:19 pm

5. I couldn’t agree more, the HD2 is a stunning phone and it’s causing a quiet storm here in the UK. I’ve used HTC’s Keiser II for two years and was looking to upgrade to an iPhone when I spied the HD2 on youtube and was smitten, I’m still holding out! Design wise I think the Nexus One is easily eclipsed by the HD2, one wonders why HTC simply didn’t hand the HD2 over to Google.

Comment by Tony — February 3, 2010 @ 3:36 pm

6. The plot thickens a little. Looks like the HD2 has a twin brother no one knew about . The HTC Supersonic boasts pretty much the same specs as the HD2, but runs Android. This may well be a more interesting phone than the Nexus One when it becomes available.

Comment by Roy — February 5, 2010 @ 9:00 am

7. This makes me wanna buy an HD2. I’m not impressed with the old HTC HD (i have one but I only used it for a few hours, then it was swallowed by my box of oblivion). But you said you’re impressed with HD2, so I decided I’m gonna get one for myself next week. Yay!

Comment by jehzlau — February 13, 2010 @ 7:21 pm

8. from the looks of it i think HTC is a lot better. Probably its software would get a lot of updating needed before it will become perfect. See additional readings and probably you would change your mind buying the nexus.

Htc Legend – It’s All About You And Your Personality