ChromeOS gets more mature with Flow

It’s been a while since I blogged about Chrome OS. Things have been pretty quiet around the Google-supported operating system for netbooks and tablets. But Hexxeh, a 17(!) year old developer who’s been supplying pre-built versions of the OS for a while now, released an new version yesterday, and it’s a lot more polished than earlier builds. It boots in seconds and runs pretty smoothly for a pre-alpha OS. If you’re curious about Chrome OS, this is the perfect opportunity to give it a try.

Not only is the ‘Flow‘ build very easy to use, there are complete setup instructions as well. The OS is installed on a USB stick or an SD card (provided your target computer has a card reader it can boot from). It runs off of that drive, so nothing is left behind on the computer’s hard drive. Simply take out the SD card and boot up to get back to Windows or whatever you were using before.

1. Hey Roy, do you understand those Chinese comments on your blog? …

Comment by Changsheng — March 1, 2010 @ 12:50 pm

2. No I don’t, and I usually delete them, just so there’s no spam. I am sorry about this but it’s way too time-consuming to try and babelfish them all.

Comment by Roy — March 1, 2010 @ 2:28 pm

3. Roy, what do you think of Google’s assertion that the web will replace the local operating system? I’m pretty skeptical and I feel like a netbook with a web browser is really a one trick pony.

And what’s up with a teenager acting as Google’s distributor? Google is so casual.. it must really ruffle Microsoft’s feathers!

Comment by Brian — March 2, 2010 @ 12:42 am

• Hi Brian. I’m probably the wrong person to ask, but I use Gmail for all my email needs, Google Docs for most of my office work and many other online tools. With Chrome OS, I can do all those things and not have to worry about all sorts of updates and backups and such. I’d love to have a tablet style computer with Chrome OS (besides a full-blown PC for now).

As for the teenager, Hexxeh is simply creating builds from Google’s open source code, because Google doesn’t apparently consider it mature enough. He’s allowed to do this and I’m glad he does, but he’s not a distributor for Google in any way. When Google does release a first beta, it will be properly distributed. Not that Hexxeh’s doing a bad job though…

Comment by Roy — March 2, 2010 @ 9:06 am

4. Wow this got a bad wrap when first released, i stayed away from it even know there was much hype, after reading your post it might be worth having a look, thanks for that :)

Comment by vbulletin 4 styles — March 10, 2010 @ 9:13 pm

5. I’m pretty excited about this. Like you Roy, I am using the google apps for all my office needs and Gmail for all my emails. I find everything seamless and appreciate the brainless portability of my information and applications. I’ve used Chrome browser but the password manager is sub-par and several of the work realated sites I visit don’t support the browser yet. But, if they have done this well with what I’m using so far I can’t wait to taste the OS.

Jack Campbell