Is anyone actually using an Android tablet yet?

Even before Apple’s iPad came out, there was talk of “a tsunami of cheap, Chinese Adroid tablets”. I don’t know about you, but I have yet to actually see one in real life. Or even in stores. The only real reviews I’ve seen are of Samsung’s ludicrously expensive Galaxy Tab, which with it’s small screen I’m not at all interested in. Meanwhile, Google has announced that it considered Froyo (Android 2.2) “not ready” for tablet use. All this makes me wonder. Has anyone out there actually used an Android tablet? What’s it like? How does it compare to Apple’s offering?

If you’ve got a tablet that uses Google’s OS, and would like to do a guest post/review type of thing, please contact me.

1. At the IFA in september I have tried several Android tablets like the Samsung Galaxy Tab, Dell Streak and several cheap chinese/taiwanese products, but none of them still can compete with the IPad. I hope this will become much better in the upcoming months and as soon as there is a proper good working 10″ Android Tablet I will immediately exchange my IPad for it.

Comment by Frank — October 21, 2010 @ 10:25 am

2. I really wish that Android manufacturers would get together and come out with a competitive product. I am an Android fan but can’t help feeling I’m backing the underdog. All of the tablets I see running Android are invariably rubbish and aim for cheap before anything else. Of course, I like you have never ACTUALLY seen an Android tablet either, so I’m going purely on reviews.

They are all playing catchup, but Apple are miles out ahead. It’s like supporting Sunderland or something being an Android fan

Comment by andy REAL wall — November 16, 2010 @ 12:53 pm

3. I have seen and handled several Android tablets (they rather call them pads here) when I was at a expo in KL in Malaysian recently. Not too bad considering their pricing but the performance (in terms of my user experience with response) leaves a little bit to be desired. They come bundled with OpenOffice, and other useful utilities…

The one that caught my eye was one from a local outfit called CSL, called DroidPad which is manufactured in China to their specs. Samsung’s Galaxy Tab was “ok” experience wise but their pricing model seems to put them at a disadvantage to the iPad. Toshiba also had a Pad out (can’t remember it’s name tho’) but one of their (less looked at by the crowd) other model which caught my eye was their Llibretto W100 Dual-screen netbook.

I feel the Android camp still has some ways to go before they become serious contenders – for a start a standard Android platform version would help….

Comment by Tim — November 17, 2010 @ 7:52 am

• Hi Tim. Afaik there’s no OpenOffice for Android (and I’m pretty sure I’d know). But many Chinese manufacturers seem to be using familiar icons and names to hide the fact that their products run alternatives. I’ve even seen Internet Explorer icons on Android screenshots.

The Toshiba tablet is called Folio 100, and is actually on sale here in the Netherlands. Too bad it’s gotten nothing but poor reviews and seems to be the one to stay away from.

I personally don’t mind the different launchers that companies put on Android. Altough some are obviously better than others, and most are worse than the “stock” one. You can uninstall them in most cases, and some help Froyo cope with larger screens a little.

The tablet I’m currently most interested in is the Archos 101. It looks to be well worth the €300 asking price, and has pretty good specs.

Comment by Roy — November 17, 2010 @ 10:34 am

4. I’ve got the chance to use a Chinese Tablet PC powered by android. My friend bought it for around 120 USD in the internet.

As far the UI is concerned, ajax does not work in its native browser, I dunno why but I think there should be some fix to it. Tried installing Firefox equivalent for Android, it does not work. The processing speed and display is quite poor. I was able to test it also with Plant Vs Zombies, lol!

Overall, iff what you needare all basic portable communications in larger screen and budget is a big concern. Adroid Chinese Table PC is good alternative for IPad, but never a replacement. :D

Comment by Old Kage — November 21, 2010 @ 10:41 am

5. I own a “ePad” that i bought for $60 from AliExpress, it runs android, and I love it.. It even has a built in camera. Personally, I think it’s better than the IPad

Comment by mark23 — December 5, 2010 @ 4:58 pm

6. I have an older android tablet running google OS 1.6
    I really like it, it has replaced my netbook now.
    its has better touch screen than my old netbook.
    only down side is cant get skype as i have 1.6 OS.
    Its very good and with upto 5 hour battery life too!

About to put office to go in as need to write an artical for a magazine now.
    its pretty quick for a machine with a 533MHz CPU and only 128 meg of ram.
    2GB SSD but with an 8GB micro SD card added in too.

I just ordered a second newer model to cope with the new demands i now need to cope with.
    think apples big down side is NO USBs, these chinese tablets have two and some even have HDMI outputs!

In the end i love my tablet, but i do use my toshiba laptop when im at home though!

Comment by John Hosking — December 13, 2010 @ 3:48 pm

7. I own an Archos 101 which is an Android tablet. It has an 10 inch captivate screen. It is currently running Android 2.2. It’s not bad doesn’t come with the official android market, but it can be installed. Keep in mind most apps are not made for the tablet and may not run. Over all I say its a good start but they have a ways to go. The Archos is very glitchy and I have had to do a recovery on it twice now and I got mine for Christmas. But for $300.00 it is a nice verses 500.00 for the cheapest Ipad. And yes it runs flash. Watched old school Tron on it too. Very nice quality, just don’t take in the sun the screen is awful for glare.
    Bottom line. Would I purchase it again? No. I would wait for Android to be on tablets for a while. And it may just be Archos and not the Android. I have an Android phone and love it, never gives me trouble.

Comment by Ben — February 25, 2011 @ 3:00 am

• Hi Ben. I actually played with an Archos 101 today. I’d never seen it in the wild, and the store let me play for a couple of minutes. I found it to be pretty responsive, but the screen was far worse than I expected. Even tilting it a couple of degrees made it either very dark or very washed out. Still, at $300 it’s a very good value.

Comment by Roy — February 26, 2011 @ 8:01 pm

8. The Android “Epad” which is being sold for about $140 on internet looks nice and tempting, but I don’t really know how much it can be reliable. After all, for such a low price, you cannot expect it to last until you get old. I guess the Ipad is still unbeatable in every aspect.

Comment by Sandro @ Italian Music — July 3, 2011 @ 8:34 pm

• Well, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 beats the iPad on a number of specs. Sure, cheaper tablets aren’t as good, but they could be good value nonetheless…

Comment by Roy — July 5, 2011 @ 1:31 pm

9. I have evo view and love it

Comment by Esther — September 24, 2011 @ 2:48 am

10. I realize this is over a year old, but I saw something that made replying irresistable. The OP describes the cost of the galaxy tab as “ludicrously expensive”. Well if high cost comes with a trophy you have to give it to the iPad, which is, IMHO, hideously expensive. Nobody who is writing a pro apple piece will ever be able criticize one of their competitors as being expensive. It would be like hearing Beyonce describe someone as being too ghetto.

Comment by tyler — June 12, 2012 @ 2:23 pm

• Well, compare to the first iPad, the original Galaxy Tab was worse in every way (premature OS, smaller, slower, thicker), yet more expensive. I think the trophy still belong to Samsung, although newer offerings by them have been priced more realistically.

Comment by Roy — July 4, 2012 @ 8:31 pm