Am I the only one who sees things like this?

Just look at the image below. The left version is the bottom right corner of my Chrome browser window (version 8.0). This logo appears on every new empty tab, and I can’t help but wonder why Google didn’t spend 15 seconds making it look nicer. The version to the right literally took that long to make. I added a little padding, made it more subtle and changed the way the text aligns with the logo.

Looks much better, doesn’t it? I think it went from “Hey, there’s room for a logo there” to “all this awesomeness os powered by Chrome”. If I were a company trying to promote a new browser, I’d try to get these things right. And it’s not like they can’t afford it, right?

Roy | November 17, 2010 | English,Internet,Software | Comments (10)
Tags: , , ,

1. I like the left one better. Just my opinion

Comment by janhajk — November 17, 2010 @ 2:47 pm

2. The left one is bigger – might make CEOs happier :)

Comment by Foxumon — November 17, 2010 @ 7:30 pm

3. I agree with you that the right one is better. ( : ) )

Comment by aluex — November 18, 2010 @ 12:29 pm

4. Left one looks way bigger.

And yes, they can afford it, but everyone needs to know that the “awesomeness” of this software is powered by Chrome.

Comment by Old Kage — November 21, 2010 @ 10:11 am

5. Right one is better, but I think your “15 second” comment was right…that’s the time some programmer took to throw that down there. That type of bug if noticed would have gotten a “very low” priority rating from most QA teams, since 95% (probably more) users wouldn’t notice and zero functionality was impacted.

Comment by Travis — December 10, 2010 @ 8:13 pm

6. i completely agree the one on the right is better.

Comment by Mother On the go — December 13, 2010 @ 5:26 am

7. I know alot of people are saying the right one is better. But I think the one on the left is way better. Because like you said it looks more professinal. The little things go along way to making a statement.

Comment by Baby Gates — December 25, 2010 @ 7:43 am

8. The left one definitely looks better. Have you even considered the implications for the partially sighted? How does making it smaller help with this?

Comment by Father Christmas — December 26, 2010 @ 6:41 am

9. If I had to pick, I’d go with the left. But both look fine. I don’t see any glaring flaws with either.

I don’t even know why you need a logo down there to begin with. Doesn’t make sense to me.

Comment by Phil — February 2, 2011 @ 3:28 pm

10. They look differently. Nothing else to worry about in the World?

Comment by Tam — February 17, 2011 @ 3:47 pm