Quick tip: Atheros AR5007 wifi and Linksys routers

I’m writing this post hoping it’ll save someone the trouble I went through last night. After I’d installed my new Linksys E4200 router yesterday, all of my gadgets connected to it as expected, except one. My wife’s HP Compaq Presario C700 laptop would connect, it accepted the WPA2 passphrase, but connectivity would be limited to “local only”. I assumed it was having trouble connecting to the new wireless-n network, so I tried to see if there was a driver update for the Compaq’s Atheros network card. And thus, I entered the incomprehensible maze called hp.com…

You’d think that finding the latest driver would be as easy as finding your computer’s product page, clicking “support”, and then there’s usually a section called “driver downloads”. And in fact there was. Except that it listed a completely different network card, from another brand. Not helpful. And neither was Windows Update, which didn’t list an updated driver as being available.

So, thinking by now that the driver wasn’t the issue, I returned to Google, and started searching for Atheros/Linksys issues. Apparently, there’s a known issue, and after a good half hour of puzzling together the best possible search string I found a page… on HP’s support forum! There was an new driver after all, and it indeed fixed the problem. That page in turn led me to a download page I’d previously been unable to find, with the driver update I’d been looking for.

So, if your HP (or Compaq) notebook has an AR5007 wifi card, connects to wifi, but goes into “local only” mode, try the driver HP offers here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-82549-1&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en. It fixed things for me.

1. Thank you so much you saved me hours of searching.

Comment by Vinnie — February 4, 2012 @ 3:25 am

2. omg – thank you so much. i read somewhere that you’ve got to update the mhz for the card and a bunch of different stuff. i thought i’d eventually have to go back to the store and exchange my card. this works perfectly. you really saved me. thanks!!!

Comment by Mia — February 8, 2012 @ 4:43 am

3. Thanks for the excellent info. Unfortunately, I spent many hours trying to fix the exact problem that you described, with a lot of frustration and no success. Finally I tried to search for a new driver, and found your suggestion. I downloaded and installed the driver as you suggested above and it works great!!!
    Joe

Comment by Joe — February 8, 2012 @ 4:55 am

4. Thank you. This frustrated me for many hours. You recommendation fixed my problem. Amazing how difficult the Vendor web sites can be when trying to solve a problem.

Comment by TonyR — February 9, 2012 @ 4:00 pm

5. Thank you so much!!!
    I’ve been trying for two days to do what took me 10 mins. You rule!!

Comment by JohnE — February 18, 2012 @ 2:34 am

6. Thanks buddy. Fixed my problem.

Comment by HPuser — February 25, 2012 @ 11:00 am

7. Same symptoms on a Compaq Presario CQ60 when upgrading to a FritzBox 7390 modem.
    Problem solved, thanks!

Comment by Keith — February 29, 2012 @ 4:22 am

8. Thanks a million! I was going to pull my hair out.

Comment by CompaqUser — March 5, 2012 @ 5:19 am

9. Roy,
    You are the man!!! My propeller head buddy and I messed with this debacle in Vista yesterday for approx 6hrs! I woke up this morning and re-googled his search of last night and came across your blog. It worked , thank you.
    Teddy

Comment by Teddy J — March 10, 2012 @ 5:43 pm

10. I wasted my saturday on this problem then on sunday morning I found your post and done in seconds. Thanks man. It looks like you helped a ton of people.

Comment by Mike — March 11, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

11. Great !!!! It works !!! Thank you very much Roy…from France !

Comment by Elise — March 25, 2012 @ 8:45 pm

12. Roy, you da man!

Comment by Louis — March 25, 2012 @ 10:15 pm

13. Fantastic! You saved me hours of work and almost 100 dollars that HP tech asked me to pay to fix the problem. Thank you indeed.

Comment by ziba — April 3, 2012 @ 1:08 am

14. thank you sir .. !!

after days of suffering and even reinstalling vista by a friend.. and tons of BS as u mentioned..

the family thanks u

Comment by DEE R — April 14, 2012 @ 11:29 am

15. Worked for me. Thanks!

Comment by kevin — April 28, 2012 @ 1:25 am

16. After 12 hours of headache, and useless web searching, i stumbled on your site. And, FINALLY my headache has come to an end! Thank you very much for posting this

Comment by Caleb — May 16, 2012 @ 11:22 am

17. Thanks a lot! I spent two days struggling to find good solution. Finally this worked.
    Although drivers were available in Czekoslavakia sites, I was not comfortable getting from them.

Comment by Vish — May 18, 2012 @ 5:33 am

18. Just bought a Linksys E1500 Wireless-N Router today and was getting completely frustrated by not being able to connect to the internet from my HP G60 series laptop running Windows Vista. I could connect to the router itself with my laptop ,but for some reason could not get any internet access, although several other devices received internet access and a newer laptop running Windows 7 was able to get internet access from this new router. After browsing around the internet for several hours coming to the realization this was a common problem with the newer Linksys routers and toying around with different router security settings….. I was just on the fringe of returning this router back to the store and getting a Netgear instead…… but luckily I came across this website and the links to update my Atheros drivers specifically for this Linksys issue and now everything is working perfectly.

Out of the hundreds of useless websites that gave me no solution to this problem and just went around in circles trying to solve it….. I’m incredibly thankful for coming across this straightforward informative article and download link specifically for the drivers that fix this common problem for a lot of people with the Linksys routers.

Comment by JJ — May 20, 2012 @ 7:38 pm

19. Thanks a million. I was having no trouble connecting to my Linksys router but was having the same problem trying to connect to a Sprint Wireless Mobile hotspot with my older Compaq Presario F700 notebook. Wasted a couple hours trying many things to fix – nothing worked. Stumbled across this website when trying to update the driver for my Atheros AR5007 router. Used your link to the hp page for the updated driver and my problem was solved. Thanks again!!!

Comment by John A — June 5, 2012 @ 4:02 pm

20. Thnx! Took me hours to find this out! I was desperate until I found the answer here! Many thnx!

Comment by Maurice — June 7, 2012 @ 10:56 am

21. Thanks! have a pavilion laptop, trying to connect to iphone hotspot. would connect, but no internet. i had checked the drivers page on hp, but could not find this!

Comment by daniel — June 8, 2012 @ 5:55 am

22. Thanks!!
    I’ve been having this problems for so long that i even forgotten about my old laptop.
    Yesterday I decided to give it another try and after 5 hours I gave up.
    Today you saved my old computer.
    Thanks once more!

Comment by Felipe — June 10, 2012 @ 9:04 pm

23. This solved the problem that 3 people from Comcast could not solve. Thanks to you I fixed it myself!

Comment by Donna — June 22, 2012 @ 5:06 pm

24. Thank You
    Fixed my prob I decided to keep that driver on a zip drive just incase :)

Comment by Doug — June 23, 2012 @ 5:57 pm

25. Five hours of my life was wasted trying to figure this out. Thank you very much

Comment by Craig — June 25, 2012 @ 9:22 pm

26. it really helped me to save several hours for trouble shooting this issue. i only spend 1- 2 hrs on this issue and once i found your link it was a quick fix. many thanks

Comment by Tony — June 26, 2012 @ 9:50 pm

27. OMG!!! I spent 4 hours trying to trouble shoot this…thanks so much! YOU ROCK!!

Worked on my girlfriend’s Compaq CQ60 and CLEAR router…

Thank you to INFINITY!

Comment by Z3phyr — June 27, 2012 @ 5:47 am

28. The only guy on the whole internet that made it easy and got it right. Thank you — you are truly a value add to troubleshooting

Comment by TJF — June 28, 2012 @ 12:54 am

29. U r amazing…Thank you loads for giving the link. It really helped me after wasting 2 hours on trying all possibilities.
    God bless u.