Is your router overheating?

A while ago, Evercool introduced the world’s first aftermarket router cooler. Most of the blog posts I saw about it made fun of the concept, but I could totally see myself using something like this. My router gets really, really hot sometimes. And as a result, speeds decrease, and wifi reception suffers. And the cable modem next to it runs even hotter.

Most routers consist of a circuit board encased in plastic. Plastic is cheap, and it’s easy to shape, but it’s terrible at conducting heat. Despite the fact the electronics don’t actually touch the casing in most places, the outside of many of these boxes get really hot. Apparently, the chips inside radiate so much heat that the plastic gets too hot to touch sometimes. I’m no expert, but I’ve always understood that heat reduces the lifespan of computer components, so this can’t be good.

But then there’s Netgear’s GS108. I have two of these network switches, and their casing is made out of steel. They’re heavily used in my office (four people), yet they remain absolutely cold to the touch. They completely install confidence. And despite them being all metal, Netgear has managed to price these switches quite competitively. So apparently it can be done.

Does your router get hot like mine, and does it need frequent resets? Would you consider getting a slightly pricier model if that model was encased in metal instead of plastic? What do you think about Evercool’s aftermarket solution?

Roy | June 5, 2011 | English,Gadgets | Comments (10)
Tags: , , , ,

1. Can I just say that the Beyonce picture is the best part of this article? ;)

Comment by Punkmachine — June 5, 2011 @ 10:43 am

2. I knew you would, Punkmachine :). And yes, of course it is.

Comment by Roy — June 5, 2011 @ 10:47 am

3. My SmartAX MT882a ADSL Modem+router gets hot always. All modem/router manufacturer should focus on cooling down the system, because it’s the core system of any network!

Comment by Shakhawat Hossain — June 14, 2011 @ 5:41 pm

4. I don’t think the idea of actively cooling a router is ridiculous. Mine gets really hot. I just think that buying a cooler specially designed for routers is ridiculous. Just point a 10 euro USB fan at it and it should do the trick.

Comment by alex — June 23, 2011 @ 9:45 am

• What’s crazy is that manufacturers release devices that get so hot they malfunction. Most of the connections issues I experience can be fixed by unplugging the router and/or modem for a minute or so. So while a USB fan may be a possible solution, I think it shouldn’t be necessary. Routers should either have a built-in fan, or a better thermal design.

I sometimes wonder if these things are even tested using “normal consumer use” scenarios. And by that I mean streaming HD video while downloading a boatload of torrents :).

Comment by Roy — June 23, 2011 @ 10:13 pm

5. I used my internet connection for 24 hours. and than it burnt. So this item will become the best choice? or just like my last router

Comment by reza — July 26, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

6. Lol the fit Beyonce picture attracted me. I suppose thats part of the skill when you writing a blog!

Comment by Cameron — August 17, 2011 @ 10:57 am

7. Put Beyoncee in a picture is all that it takes… lol Hey all. My name is Bobby Harmon from Florida =) Just wanted to say Hi. (Im not a robot). I will post here more often in the future.

Comment by Bobby Harmon — September 13, 2011 @ 2:35 am

8. Or you can add heatspreaders like i did.

Links in swedish, use google translate.

Comment by Awqawq — January 7, 2012 @ 5:05 am

• Grgeat stuff. Did you increase airflow in the case as well? Seems to me like that might improve things even further. Now if only my E4200 wasn’t so pretty…

Comment by Roy — January 9, 2012 @ 4:46 pm