Raspberry Pi goes on sale, breaks distributor’s websites

This morning, at 06:00 GMT, the eagerly awaited Raspberry Pi computer went on sale. The foundation behind the Pi announced that they have entered into manufacturing an distribution deals with two large electronic parts suppliers, and in order to get your hands on the credit card sized computers, you need to order through them. I spent the better part of an hour trying to get through to the order page on both sites, and got just about every error a website can throw at you. Eventually, I was forced to give up.

It seems like the Pi’s launch was both a resounding success and a complete failure. For consumers, it feels “unfair” to have set your alarm clock, have your credit card ready, and then not be able to order. On the other hand, there seems to be an overwhelming amount of interest, which is excellent news for the foundation. The educational benefit of the Pi probably depends heavily on community acceptation of the device, and right now there’s so much community interest that it can easily knock over two large web shops.

As I write this, an hour and a half after the launch, I still can’t get either of the websites to respond. On Twitter, the Raspberry Pi foundation has announced that at least on of them is out of stock. I guess I’ll have to wait for the second batch.

Roy | February 29, 2012 | English,Gadgets | Comments (7)
Tags: , ,

1. Well… I got through @ Farnell ;)

Comment by Daan Kortenbach — February 29, 2012 @ 9:04 am

• Lucky you :). They’re out of stock now, so I hope I “registered an interest” early enough at RS to be able to get one from the first batch. I think I did that about 5 minutes into the sale, so I should be pretty high up on their list (assuming they’re keeping one).

Comment by Roy — February 29, 2012 @ 9:22 am

• I did had to F5 for an hour and a half though and stock seemed to be unclear… But I got the confirmation mail. Also registered @ RS at 6:02 GMT ;) So maybe I got two? Maybe none at all. We’ll see!

Comment by Daan Kortenbach — February 29, 2012 @ 9:26 am

• Don’t you just love a good F5 lottery?

Comment by Roy — February 29, 2012 @ 9:35 am

• Actually, after half an hour I F5’d once to many ;)

Comment by Daan Kortenbach — February 29, 2012 @ 9:50 am

2. Their dot come site still down for maintenance…since last month or more!

is there going to be at least one earmarked for the northern untied states???

Their webmaster also seems to think that the site is taking orders to the tune of “it is going to break the systems!!!” but I still have to see one sale!!!

I am personally tired of all the hype and lets check and see if they have it today thing!

Again …if i cant buy one then it does not exist!

I am only gonna give it a few more tries and thats it!!!
    weird!!!

Comment by martin — April 16, 2012 @ 7:24 pm

• The dot-com site is the web shop that they ended up not using. I don’t think it’s relevant at all anymore. All the action is at http://www.raspberrypi.org/.

Comment by Roy — April 19, 2012 @ 3:11 pm