Five excellent Android apps that I recently discovered

One of the things I really like about Android is the enormous momentum the platform has. New phones come out almost daily, and it’s become completely undoable to keep track of new app releases. I find that my devices are usually full of apps that were the absolute best at the time when I bought the device. Apps that aren’t necessarily the “current champions”. I guess that’s why it important to share app tips. Here are couple of apps that I recently discovered, that are real gems.

Flipboard

Flipboard screenshot

This isn’t really a new app, but it took a while for it to become available on Android, and it only very recently gained tablet support. Since then, Flipboard has become my favority news reader. It’s similar to Google Currents and Feedly, in that it aggregates news items and presents them in an easy to read format.

I used to install things like the Engadget app and the The Verge one, but nowadays I just read everything through Flipboard. It’s sleek, easy to operate, and is free.

Falcon Pro

Falcon Pro screenshot

I’ve had a blog post in draft for years about how great Tweetdeck for Android is. When I moved to Android it was the best Twitter client available on any platform. It had the most elegant user interface design I’d ever seen. But since then, it’s been abandoned (although Tweakdeck is still around), and better options have emerged.

Falcon Pro is my new top favorite. It’s not a free app, but if you’re at all serious about Twitter as a platform, paying a dollar for this is a great investment. Falcon Pro reminds me of Tweetdeck, but with better typography, a better search interface, and most importantly, proper tablet support. Highly recommended.

Any.DO

Any.DO

If you’re looking for a to-do list app that’s beautifully designed, lets you enter things through speech recognition, and integrates with the desktop version of Chrome, this is the app to get. When Any.DO first came out it made headlines because it proved that Android apps could be stunningly beautiful. I’ve tried dozens of to-do list solutions, and so far, this is the only one I’ve found myself actually using.

Wifi Analyzer

2013-01-12 16.02.48

People often forget that picking the right channel can considerably boost your Wifi’s range. On the desktop, I love an application called “Inssider”, that shows a graph of the channels, so you can see which ones your neighbors are using. Wifi Analyzer does the same thing on your phone, so you can walk around with it, and determine the best channel for every corner of your house.

Fing

Fing iconFing isn’t actually a new discovery for me. I’ve had it on my phone for a while. But it’s been recently that I found out just how much help it can be when you’re troubleshooting network problems. I was called in when my father-in-law’s computer wouldn’t go online, and Fing was instrumental in determining the cause.

Fing shows you all the clients on the LAN, lets you ping them, run DNS lookups and traceroutes. It’s great for discovering what IP your network printer is using, and whether devices are connected at all. All without even getting your laptop out.

Suggestions?

These have been my current favorite Android apps. But with the Play store being the treasure trove that it is, I’m sure I’ve missed many great apps. So please feel free share your favorites in the comments.

1. I really love the AIX weather widget. It displays the hourly temperature and precipitation on a histogram which is very convenient to plan your day and wardrobe.

Comment by Brian — January 18, 2013 @ 9:18 pm

2. Three of those apps are even installed on phone :)
    If I could give some apps from me they would be:
    #analytics – app from google to check stats
    #current caller id – I don’t know if you would like it…. this app shows you info about the person who is calling like when there was the last call, what’s the weather at their location, their facebook status. So before you answer a call you have a little bit of data. I especially love the info when was the last call. It work great with unknown numbers. If someone is hammering my phone and I see that this unknown number tried to call me yesterday I know I can just mute it :)
    #doubletwist – I think you know this app
    #clock alarm from doubletwist creators – well it’s an alarm clock but I find it much nicer than the standard one

Comment by Kamil — January 18, 2013 @ 11:48 pm

3. I checked out any.DO on your recommendation, Roy, and it’s EXCELLENT! I’ve used evernote on and off, along with post-its all over the desk, cue cards, etc – and I think this may be “the one”.

Cheers!
    – Julian

Comment by Julian — January 26, 2013 @ 11:59 am

4. As someone who uses the “getting things done” method I can affirm that any.do is a great app. I absolutely need lists like this and the feeling of accomplishment when i cross off tasks, it motivates me and keeps me energized. great app!

Comment by Ty — February 15, 2013 @ 12:24 pm

5. I loaded everything you suggested just for kicks about a week ago. I look at my phone 24 / 7 now!! Love them all plus maybe one or two others.

Comment by Allen Moreno — February 27, 2013 @ 2:55 am

6. I concur that Any.do is a great app. I now store everything on this and the interface is so slick and smooth…love it.

Comment by Shystar — April 7, 2013 @ 3:50 am

7. Can’t live without Any.do. It is such a great tool in helping me remember and get things done. I don’t go anywhere without my phone and I definitely no longer try to keep track of everything in my head. The ease of use of the app makes it a great one for sure. I’ll check out the other apps on the list as well and see how they run. Thanks for the list Roy

Comment by Ayte — April 7, 2013 @ 4:11 am

8. Thanks for sharing this spectacular list.

Even I have started using Any.Do from last 3-4 days and it seems that I am not going to quit using this awesome app. Going to try other mentioned apps for sure.

Comment by Rohit Shukla — May 15, 2013 @ 4:13 pm

9. Great. Thanks for these. Any.do have got a calendar app coming up too. Re: social media management apps, I’m a big fan of Hootsuite – their smartphone app is The One :)

Comment by Iain — June 13, 2013 @ 10:45 am

10. Great, I love this type of articles! I find most of my apps through them. ;)

Comment by Paul — June 24, 2013 @ 3:18 am

11. Out of all these apps Flipboard is my favorite. It is my favorite newsreader app as well and I just love the way it lets you view the data and with every update they add awesome new stuff.

Comment by Ujjwal Kumar — August 6, 2013 @ 4:59 pm

12. great list of apps but most of them are old now. i can say that yes, flipboard is a nice app but i think whatsapp and chrome should be included in this list. any.do is great and it helps you in keeping track of important events. thanks for this list.

Comment by alan — August 30, 2013 @ 10:58 am

• This wasn’t about essential apps like Whatapp and Chrome (which comes standard now in many cases). I tried to offer new, or relatively unknown suggestions.

Comment by Roy — August 30, 2013 @ 1:51 pm

13. Thank You For linformation

Comment by mario — October 8, 2013 @ 5:51 pm

14. but would these apps work on a ( galaxy young ) ?

Comment by mohammed sayed — October 8, 2013 @ 8:32 pm