HTC One vs. Galaxy S4, which is your favorite?

one-vs-s4

Now that Samsung has unveiled their Galaxy S4, all candidates for “Top Android Handset” are now out in the open. It’s up to us consumers to decide which, if any, we’re going to get. I’m going to be really unfair to Sony and LG, and discard their efforts straight away. I’ve never been a Sony fan, and I haven’t played with an LG phone since the “Viewty”, which was terrible in every way. I think the real fight is between the current champion Samsung, and the most audacious challenger, HTC.

Round 2?

Last year, HTC’s One X was my favorite, but Samsung’s S3 clearly won in terms of sales. This time around, I think it’s interesting to see that the two successors are more polarized. HTC has clearly focused on improving the design of the One, and refining the most important phone features. Samsung on the other hand seems to have promised bonuses to its product designers for every novel feature they could come up with. And then they put every single one of those ideas into the phone. Both are lightning-fast smartphones with excellent screens, but other than that they could not be more different.

Features or gimmicks?

For me, the HTC wins

You can probably tell that I much prefer the HTC One. I love how they’re trying to address real issues, like low-light camera performance, instead of non-existent problems like finger-free scrolling and gestures. Android is based around touch control, and imho what it needs most at this point is a sexy, well-made flagship phone to lure in iPhone users.

Your choice?

But at the same time I’m curious how other Android users feel about this. Are features the most important thing in new devices? Do design and aesthetics matter? Which is your favorite new phone?

Roy | March 17, 2013 | English,Gadgets | Comments (24)
Tags: , , , ,

1. Iám going for the Htc One. It’s way beter looking and build

Comment by Henry — March 18, 2013 @ 8:38 pm

• What about its non-removable battery? Batteries deteriorate with time – their warranties are normally… valid for 6 months only!

Comment by Brad — August 17, 2013 @ 4:18 pm

• I’ve actually never bought a replacement battery for any phone I’ve owned. They usually go from “great” to “good enough” in the time I use them. I still got a full day out of my HTC Desire after 2.5 years. Not a big issue for me, but definitely a plus for the Samsung.

Comment by Roy — August 21, 2013 @ 11:19 am

• I agree that 2-3 years are good enough but one may want to give the phone away later on and a non-removable battery makes it less valuable as a gift. Plus if you buy a new battery after a year you won’t have to face much more frequent charges.

Comment by Brad — August 21, 2013 @ 11:32 am

2. Definitely the HTC One! If only because they’re the underdog in this fight.

Comment by Arjan H — March 20, 2013 @ 7:00 pm

3. It’s going to be difficult choosing between the HTC One and the Samsung Galaxy S4. It’s even tougher considering they have faster processors, better cameras, and 1080p displays that I would love to use. During the light rail ride to work at DISH, I like watching my live and recorded shows on my current phone since it takes a bit of time. I can stream from my DVR wherever I go using the DISH Anywhere app and I think look great on a higher resolution display.

Comment by Riley — March 25, 2013 @ 5:04 pm

4. I hope it will be a tag of war for chosing the two because they both performs many function.

Comment by Raz Boraxzy — March 25, 2013 @ 11:07 pm

5. My eldest son had 2 Htc mobiles and we had so much trouble with them so I can not recommend HTC at all.

Now he has Samsung Galaxy S4 and it is working all the time. I think Samsung looks better. It is skinny elegant phone to look at.

Comment by Anna — March 31, 2013 @ 8:47 am

• It’s not out yet lol

Comment by Ass — April 14, 2013 @ 9:13 pm

• hmm Somebody works for Samsung and yes the cheap nasty plastic Samsung are always taking criticism for it much better than the solid beautiful aluminium you know nothing.

Comment by psicobra — April 27, 2013 @ 5:36 pm

6. I like the HTC One more, simply because I already own a HTC Legend, and I know how great aluminum phones can be. The Galaxy S4 looks way too much like the Galaxy S3, which I never really liked design wise.

Comment by Lucian Armasu — April 16, 2013 @ 8:41 pm

7. I have an S4 and love it. Doesn’t feel ‘plasticy’ to me and it’s a gorgeous, powerful device. :)

Comment by nan — May 28, 2013 @ 8:05 pm

8. HTC One is better, I love the speaker quality and android yeah!

Comment by Azu-Nyan — June 4, 2013 @ 3:53 am

9. I have both smartphones but l also think HTC is the wiiner here !
    Anyway thanks for your reviews .

Comment by iphone hannover — July 25, 2013 @ 10:44 pm

10. HTC One? No way! Non-removable battery is a joke and not a very good one. So is lack of micro sd card support. If one wants a matrix-type phone (we choose for you, you don’t need to have a lot of choice) why not go the whole way and get an iPrehistelephone?

Samsung all the way!

Comment by Brad — August 3, 2013 @ 8:15 pm

11. HTC One is my favorite because i own this awesome device. yes HTC is underdog and they need our support. samsung was good but now they are making cheap looking plastic toys with no new innovation but HTC really has done an amazing job with the One

Comment by Alan — August 29, 2013 @ 12:02 pm

12. Aluminium is unhealthy btw :-) anyway, both phones are really nice

Comment by Brad — August 29, 2013 @ 12:10 pm

13. I own a Galaxy S2, but I’ll replace it with the a S4 one very soon. I’ve tried it and it’s an amazing phone.
    ps. Nice review :)

Comment by gvre — August 30, 2013 @ 2:29 pm

14. I suggest you wait for Note 3. It’ll be S4 bigger and better and available in September I guess.

Comment by Brad — August 30, 2013 @ 3:27 pm

15. I’ll check it out. Thank you Brad!

Comment by gvre — August 30, 2013 @ 4:32 pm

16. My pleasure! Prepare for being addicted from the moment you touch it… :-)

Comment by Brad — August 30, 2013 @ 6:55 pm

17. I prefer to have Galaxy S4 i9500 due to its Primary camera 13MP, 4128 x 3096 pixels, autofocus, LED flash, Dual Shot, Simultaneous HD video and image recording, Geo-tagging, Touch focus, Face and smile detection, Image stabilization, HDR

Wonderful….

Comment by Gudang Review — September 25, 2013 @ 6:53 am

18. I like the HTC One more, simply because I already own a HTC Legend, and I know how great aluminum phones can be. The Galaxy S4 looks way too much like the Galaxy S3, which I never really liked design wise.

Comment by harga hp samsung Ace 3 — December 30, 2013 @ 11:39 am

19. I can’t be sure until I try the S4, but I have a feeling that things like eye control are going to be fun for about 5 minutes. They may impress your friends for another five, but beyond that I can’t see myself using any of it. Once that happens, the S4 is basically an ugly, plastic phone (don’t let the press shots fool you, the faux chrome on my Note 2 is really tacky).

Comment by handoko — January 20, 2014 @ 11:15 am