Note 2 update: Sudden Death Syndrome

dead_androidIn October of last year, Samsung sent me a Galaxy Note 2 phone to try. I blogged about it a couple of time, and have been using it as my primary device since. I like it a lot, and was getting used to its large dimensions.

But then it started to act up. Random reboots and freezes, crashing apps. Not good. I did some research, and my unit appears to be suffering from “Sudden Death Syndrome”. Here’s what I’ve found out so far.

Symptoms

Phones suffering from SDS tend to freeze, crash and/or reboot. Usually, this starts happening after about six months of use, and judging from reports I’ve read it seems to get progressively worse. In many cases I’ve read about, phones will eventually not turn on anymore and are “bricked”. In other cases, phones die suddenly, but I get the feeling that “Slow and Agonising Death Syndrome” would have been a better name.

Likely cause

I don’t think Samsung has confirmed this, but the likely culprit is the phone’s eMMC chip. This chip contains the internal memory of your phone, and early 16 GB models of the Note 2 had what’s now called an “insane” chip. These chips can become corrupted, and corrupted memory (in any computer) causes crashes and all sorts of instability. 32 GB models seem unaffected, as are more recent 16 GB ones.

There’s an extensive thread on the XDA forums about this problem, with many users offering tips that have helped make their phones more stable. But in most cases though, those tips come down to the same thing. Keeping memory usage low. Disabling apps with large cache storages might help a little. Not using corrupted memory segments probably means the bug will get triggered less, but the hardware defect is still there.

What can you do?

First of all, upgrade your Note 2 to Android 4.1.2. Samsung put a “fix” in the 4.1.2 update that should prevent (further) memory corruption. It’s not going to repair earlier damage, but it seems the appropriate first step. If you’re using a custom ROM, check that your ROM has this fix in place.

If you own a 16 GB Note 2 (model number GT-N7100), I recommend installing the eMMC Brickbug Check app. It checks whether the eMMC memory chip in your phone is vulnerable. Below is the output for my phone.

Screenshot_2013-06-04-11-57-25

As you can see, my chip is “insane”. The “VTU00M” and “0xf1″ confirm this. If you see the same thing, there’s another app that can help you troubleshoot. Dummy File Generator is an app that lets you fill up your eMMC storage with bogus data. Doing so on a device with SDS can trigger the bug, which allows you to confirm the diagnosis. Here’s how.

1. Download Dummy File Generator from teh Play store
  2. Select the “internal storage” tab
  3. Click “Generate (FULL)”

Depending on the free space on your phone, this may take a while. In my case, the process froze about 2/3 though, and I had to remove the battery from my Note 2 to get it to boot again. Some people also report that running this app has made their phone more stable. It is assumed that it helps the filesystem map bad blocks.

Hardware repair

Once your eMMC has become corrupted, I don’t think any software fix will help. Chances are your phone will need to have its motherboard replaced. Since the Note 2 has only been on the market for seven months, getting it fixed warranty should in most cases not be a problem. If your phone has an “insane” chip, you’re experiencing these symptoms, and you’ve used it with Android 4.1.1 or earlier, I guess getting it repaired is that best option. I’m going to try getting this done without a proof of purchase. Wish me luck.

P.S. Forgot to mention that Sudden Death Syndrome is also available on the Galaxy SIII. Ouch.

UPDATE (June 5th, 2013)

In was planning to visit a Samsung Service Point today, to claim warranty. I knew they might ask whether I’d tried re-installing the phone’s firmware and doing a factory reset, so I did those things. And now my phone hasn’t crashed in hours. Here’s what I did.

1. I installed Samsung Kies on my laptop
  2. Connected my phone and backed up some stuff
  3. Let Kies do a full firmware upgrade/re-install (this took quite a while, even though I was already running the latest version)
  4. Did a full factory reset on the phone (through the settings menu, not connected to Kies)
  5. Installed Dummy File Generator and let it “Generate (FULL)” (see above)
  6. Proceeded to personalize the phone, install apps, etc

The strange thing is that “Dummy” was now able to fill up the entire internal memory of my Note without the phone locking up. It’s not frozen once since I ran “Dummy”, and only once before that. It seems that this little app indeed has some healing effect. Although probably only when combined with the other steps I listed. I’ve set up some 50 apps, changed the launcher, and basically used the device quite intensively today, and it seems fine.

I’ll keep you posted!

UPDATE 2 (June 6th, 2013)

Crashes are back, and getting more frequent. Looks like the “solution” above is – at best – a temporary band-aid. I’m now convinced that my phone’s eMMC is beyond repair. I’ve switched back to my old HTC, and will try to get the Note 2 fixed. If that turns out to be too pricy, I’m thinking of getting an entry-level Windows phone like the Lumia 620.

UPDATE 3 (June 13th, 2013)

Investigated whether the SIM card was causing crashes, because it seemed to work better without one present, but that turned out to not be the case. Sent the phone to Samsung today. I hope they do a good job testing the phone, and do not return it unfixed.

UPDATE 3 (August 8th, 2013)

I got my phone back earlier this week. The repair slip said “board swap”, and it now has a “sane” chip. It’s given me precisely zero issues since. Not a single crash and no sign of any instability.

1. Hey guys thanx for all the info… have escalated the issue to the TOP BRASS of SAMSUNG INDIA and with the AMMO now provided by you all am going to haul them over coals… They have no right to release a model with “in sane” chip and put the customers through all this …. Its over a week now that the G Note II is with the Service Centre.. They promise to give it back today.. will keep you all posted of the developents…Once again thanks…

Reply Comment by mahesh — September 30, 2013 @ 2:05 am

2. Thanks a ton, I was just about tot buy a used phone from someone. So this will help me to buy a good genuiene note 2.

Reply Comment by kamlesh — October 2, 2013 @ 5:49 am

3. I would like to thank you so much for all the information as these were the same issues i was facing and didn’t know what to do about it.

Reply Comment by Taranjit Singh — October 3, 2013 @ 2:09 pm

4. You are a messenger of GOD man.. I have never seen such a thorough explanation to an issue, which by far based on my internet research, lots n lots of users are facing.

Cheers,

Reply Comment by Durrani — October 8, 2013 @ 10:36 pm

5. My phone is off and won’t start up. How do I install the fix. I flash phone and install custom roms but can’t seem to get this right please help thanks in advance. How can i use emmc while it’s off

Reply Comment by Dennis — October 9, 2013 @ 8:47 pm

• If it’s off and won’t turn on again, and assuming the battery is charged, it’s probably beyond repair. Good thing is that in this case there’s no denying the problem, so Samsung will probably fix the issue without questions.

Reply Comment by Roy — October 15, 2013 @ 12:28 pm

• How do you find out if your note 2 has the insane chip please? Mine is beyond repair and won’t switch on. Thanks

Reply Comment by Kate — January 8, 2014 @ 9:32 pm

• I don’t think there’s a way to tell after the phone is bricked.

Reply Comment by Roy — January 8, 2014 @ 9:46 pm

6. Thank you so much for this info! Big help to prevent my phone from crashing. Will spread this news. Thank you so much!:)

Reply Comment by kaye — October 13, 2013 @ 4:58 am

7. I have the Note 2 with a “sane” chip Type: MAG2GC. I ran the Dummy File as well and it wrote to all the mem blocks. I have had about 3 freezes today but i had a torrent going as well.

I will see how this goes. I was on WiF at the gym then switched to 4G and it froze up. Can or could this be a different bug?

Reply Comment by RMStringer — October 13, 2013 @ 6:58 pm

8. thank u! mine just died few mins ago! rest in peace note 2

Reply Comment by Wen — October 17, 2013 @ 2:02 pm

9. I have the GT-N7100 phone and the “insane” chip as well. Could you tell me where and how you sent the phone back to samsung for repair? I haven’t had much luck finding support in the us for this model of the note 2. Thank you for your reply.

Reply Comment by Don — October 23, 2013 @ 6:15 pm

• In The Netherlands, Vodafone shop serve as Samsung Service Centers, so I took it to the one in Utrecht. Took around three weeks for it to get back to me.

Reply Comment by Roy — October 25, 2013 @ 6:23 pm

10. An update regarding my phone’s status. There is something known as phone being J-Tag or J-Tech; not sure what it means but when I handed my phone to a local repair shop, the technician stated that this is th evening problem and it could be fixed in US$60. But after making attempts for three days, he has now returned it back to me saying that your phone is not uploading the required file :-(

Reply Comment by Durrani — October 24, 2013 @ 10:33 am

11. I had my samsung galaxy note 2 bought from the Saudi Arabia and I now living in Egypt
    My note 2 suddenly turn off and do not restart I asked for help they told me it is SDS sudden death syndrome
    What can I do now
    Can anyone help please

Since it is a manufacturer malware and it is not related to personal use

Reply Comment by Ramy — October 25, 2013 @ 1:37 pm

• I would try contacting Samsung in the country where you now live. They may tell you that they do not provide service for phones purchased abroad, but you can then ask them what steps you should take.

Reply Comment by Roy — October 25, 2013 @ 5:52 pm

• I tried contacting Samsung Canada a couple of times and they always tell me the same thing. They cannot help me because they can’t find my device in their database: they say I need to call the USA client service. Over there, they don’t have my phone on their database neither; they claim that it is the third party (Newegg) that sold me the phone that is responsable for the after market service. Finally, Newegg can’t do anything to help me now, since my 90 day (!@#//@!!) warranty with them is now expired. I find Dead ends everywhere I seek help. I am stuck with this expensive malfunctioning device!

Reply Comment by Martin — October 27, 2013 @ 4:40 pm

• A 90 day warranty? That would be simply illegal in the EU. I see that the off contract prices for this phone have dropped significantly since the 3 came out. Perhaps the same is true for parts?

Reply Comment by Roy — October 27, 2013 @ 7:38 pm

12. I have a “sane” chip. A tmobile n-7105. And And within the last 2 weeks, it’s been freezing, and I need to do a a battery pull to get it to work. I’ve tried everything recommended: updating, resetting, un mounting the sd card, etc and yet it’s getting worse.

Reply Comment by Vanessa — October 29, 2013 @ 6:56 am

• Have you tried searching the XDA fora with the model number of your chip? If this is SDS, you may have found a new batch of insane chips…

But then again, it might just be an app that’s causing problems. Really hard to diagnose.

Reply Comment by Roy — October 30, 2013 @ 5:13 pm

13. I have a “sane” chip. A tmobile n-7105. And And within the last 2 weeks, it’s been freezing, and I need to do a a battery pull to get it to work. I’ve tried everything recommended: updating, resetting, un mounting the sd card, etc and yet it’s getting worse. I’ve had it for 11 months, not problem until now :-(

Reply Comment by Vanessa — October 29, 2013 @ 6:57 am

14. Me 2 facing exactly the same problem stated above plus all the sensors of my phone stopped functioning n its vry frustratng. I did the emmc check and found the chip is sane and no SDS. (I am assuming this is bcoz I did the emmc test after I did a battery pull restart and the phone was working fine. I will again do the emmc chck after the sensors stop working again).After the emmc chck I noticed that the date mentioned over there was 04/1997 it seemed odd to me as the pic above shows 09/2012.Its literally a shame on samsung as these premium flagship models r facing such problems. I went to the service cente 5 times n thy just sometimes did factory reset sometimes callibration sometimes reupdated the software etc. but all in vain as the problem still persists. I hope thy fix this issue soon enough as its been almost a month since my 1st visit to the service Centre :’(

Reply Comment by pravin — October 30, 2013 @ 4:36 pm

15. hey need your advice n suggestion….. i recently got samsung note 2 (T889) and was trying to remove the sim card and putan indian sim card… but when i removed the simcard i somehow damaged the sim slot…. a long strand of copper like thin wire came along with the sim card out…. i gave it to repair at samsung service centre…. they said that they tried changing the simslot and the problem still remains same ( No netwrk detecting ) so dey say now that the board is damaged…. replacing a board is as good as getting a new phone…… but my doubt is that this phone is working perfectly allrite minus the network not being detected…… can u guys please throw some light…. would really appreciate it…. what do i do next?

thanks & regards

Sajit Daniel Baby

danielsajit@gmail.com

Reply Comment by sajit — November 8, 2013 @ 4:40 pm

• Ur note 2 is new and must be in warranty if thy r going to change the board free of charge them just do it ..if not then its gonna cost u a lot …..I would advice if they r not claiming under warranty then u go for ur local mobile service centre (not Samsung) who is an expert in this field and get it done from him (u would be losing ur warranty though but its an cheaper alternative)

Reply Comment by pravin — November 8, 2013 @ 4:51 pm

• thanks pravin….. i gave it today to a local service guy… he wil let me knw if it can be repaired by tomoro morning…. my worry is since i know only sim slot was damaged… how come samsung guys saying that the board is damaged tooo…. had got this mobile from USA… its a Tmobile… n unlocked tooo… the international warranty is not available in india… thats what the samsung authorised service centre guys told me…. does the board have any relation with the simcard slot? and also i have a doubt if the simcard slot which is available in india for N7100 compatible with T889?

Reply Comment by sajit — November 8, 2013 @ 4:57 pm

16. Hi All, I also experienced the same predicament. My phone got block and it wont open. I already did the Hold Volume, Power and Home buttom but it doesnt work at all, the LED light only blinks whenever I hold the power button. I already consulted this to a local technician and they already diagnosed this as deadbot A.K.A Sudden Death Syndrom (SDS). They advised me already that they will change the motherboard so that it may go back to its normal way, but has a low prognosis. Guys, can you suggest any other alternative ways in how I can still use my Note2. Please response ASAP. Thanks

Reply Comment by Dan — November 16, 2013 @ 1:08 pm

17. Thanks Dear Roy,

that is a good idea to explain an issue so detail. some times/mostly samsung service center try to tell so many excuses to avoid any customers at service center, they want customers only at their retail shop.

I have a prob like phone sometimes will get connected with windows computers, sometimes cannot, it is hard when i have to take a printout etc from a place with old computer having no bluetooth, wifi etc and the shop owner dont want to install an application(kies etc) for 1 customer. How can i fix it to be used as a normal usb.

2.Also I never find safely remove even if detected by windows sometimes, will that harm the note.

ThankS a lot if can give some advice.
    Regards

Reply Comment by Jay — November 18, 2013 @ 5:17 am

• Hi Jay. I’ve actually never connected my Note 2 to USB. Updates are all OTA, and I use SMB and Dropbox to transfer files. Also, I don’t use Windows very much.

Reply Comment by Roy — November 18, 2013 @ 5:14 pm

18. Link: My Note II Constantly Crashing/Rebooting/Freezing - Android Forums
    My phone is already beyond its warranty period. Do you have any idea on how will it cost me to replace the motherboard? The symptoms of sds just started last week.

Reply Comment by Rob — November 24, 2013 @ 1:55 pm

• I checked with a local shop here in The Netherlands, and they estimated the repair to be around 200 euros. I think a new Note 2 is around 400 now, since the 3 came out. So… ouch.

Reply Comment by Roy — November 24, 2013 @ 6:10 pm

20. this is what my NOTE 2 is experiencing right now.
    and its 3 weeks after my warranty expired. now they charged me 325.00SGD.
    THANK YOU for they information.

Reply Comment by grace — November 29, 2013 @ 5:16 am

• Hi SG Friend, my Note 2 face the same yesterday. Better than u, 4 weeks after warranty.

Where do you sent for repair? Re-seller or Samsung service centre?

How long they take? A T-Loan phone provided?

The important thing is, i don’t have memory card & not back up ever. Do you think i can get all my data back?

Reply Comment by Gym — December 10, 2013 @ 9:19 am

21. the*

Reply Comment by grace — November 29, 2013 @ 5:16 am

22. hello sir……my note 2 mobile phone death beause of rooting n its motherboard binry file was delete so can u help me for restoring the file are any soultion for repair my motherbord. plz help me. plz inform me in my mail id….

Reply Comment by rockygulshan — December 7, 2013 @ 8:02 pm

23. Thank you for this post. It’s the only precise solution I have found since my search online. I have a question though; After running “dummy” do I just leave it, because the Generate (FULL) option has taken up all the space of my GT-N7100 internal memory. Does this mean I can no longer install applications or save media with my device? Please advice me. Here’s my email: fkoleosho@gmail.com

Reply Comment by Funmi — December 16, 2013 @ 7:48 pm

• The idea is that you remove the dummy files. They do not need to remain on the device.

Reply Comment by Roy — December 17, 2013 @ 7:55 am

24. Hi,

Last night, I installed Kies in my laptop and checked if an upgrade for my Note 2 is available. It had asked for model# and S/N. It began installing on my phone (I think), I fell asleep and I can only recall that the progess was 35%. Woke up after 2 hrs and there was a pop-up message that says the upgrade was not successful and that I try again later. My phone screen shows that it’s in the SD Card mode – there was no further instructions so not sure what to do. It says SDCARD DOWNLOAD COMPLETED. I tried to re-upgrade but not sure how to get the phone back to the download mode. I tried to restart the phone and now it’s dead! It won’t boot up! I tried to charge it but it won’t either, the LED won’t even light up. Any ideas? I’m desperate! Thanks! (Philippines)

Reply Comment by INKKAI — December 20, 2013 @ 1:01 am

• I’m afraid you’ll need to contact a Samsung service center, since youbwere using Kies and doing an official update.

Reply Comment by Roy — December 20, 2013 @ 7:34 am

25. Thanks Roy. My phone is doing much better now.

Reply Comment by Funmi — December 20, 2013 @ 5:25 pm

26. I got my note 2 back….with same problem. …:( going to send it back again .hate u Samsung service. …

Reply Comment by hifas — December 22, 2013 @ 11:14 am

27. My phone died all of a sudden…I sent it for repair…they took 6000 pakistani rupees for making the phone alive and told not to update the software..my phone costs 64000 n now additional 6000 have ben spent and the phone has been opened so its value is almost one third of its original price..iv run this check and it shows insane chip .wat do u suggest cz I think chip or motherboard repair is going to cost me a fortune…im so sesperate…whose fault is that…we suffer so much to buy these expensi e phones and then this Sds appears all of a sudden…I wish I could sue samsung…im broke now

Reply Comment by Aemin Waqar — January 3, 2014 @ 3:26 pm

• Imho, Samsung should replace or properly repair the phone under warranty. Dutch/European law pretty much requires them to do so, but things are different elsewhere.

If the symptoms return, I’d return the phone to Samsung with a detailed explanation of the problem, mentioning the insane chip.

Reply Comment by Roy — January 3, 2014 @ 4:22 pm

Reply Comment by Ali — January 17, 2014 @ 6:54 pm

• Hi @Aemin Waqar let me know that where from you get repaired the phone in pakistan as i am also experiencing the same problem.let me know pls ASAP

Reply Comment by Ali — January 17, 2014 @ 6:54 pm

28. My phone shows insane chip and iv done the dummy file thing too…so mother board replacement is only option?

Reply Comment by Aemin Waqar — January 3, 2014 @ 4:46 pm

• You could be lucky. Some people have insane chips but no symptoms. I’d recommend not to do anything until symptoms start re-appearing.

Perhaps you can keep an eye out for an identical phone with a broken screen or some other non-motherboard problem, and merge the parts yourself?

Reply Comment by Roy — January 3, 2014 @ 5:17 pm

29. My warranty is over; (

Reply Comment by Aemin Waqar — January 3, 2014 @ 4:47 pm

• Hi just got your email yes the note 2 seem to have this eMMC insane chip if you are lucky
      You mite get one year, my phone is going in next week to be repaired . Samsung are now
      Giving people with this broblem two years warrenty as long as you have not rooted the
      Phone . Alan goodman.

Reply Comment by alan goodman — January 4, 2014 @ 3:16 pm

30. My galaxy note 2 has a insane chip i used the eMMC app it says vtuoom but is does not have on the
    Phone anyware OXF1 is the chip insane or not PLEASE someone tell me.
    Thank you alan.

Reply Comment by alan goodman — January 3, 2014 @ 6:47 pm

31. My wife’s Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 (PT7300) also has an insane chip.

Reply Comment by Marcis — January 3, 2014 @ 10:26 pm

32. So every samsung phone can get this issue?

Reply Comment by Aemin Waqar — January 4, 2014 @ 1:25 pm

• I’ve only heard about this issue on the Galaxy S3 and the Note 2.

Reply Comment by Roy — January 5, 2014 @ 2:05 pm

33. My experia x10i also dued of the same reason

Reply Comment by Aemin Waqar — January 4, 2014 @ 3:34 pm

34. Hi everybody i have just been on the phone to Samsung repair service they told me if your phone
    Has insane chip and is less than two years old ,its under warrenty for two years and they will
    Repair it free of charge.

Alan Goodman U K.

Reply Comment by alan goodman — January 6, 2014 @ 2:33 pm

• If a working insane chip, no point to have 10 years warranty.
      Samsung will not say their product have problem, only provide best product to customers.
      If a death note2. Who proof that’s an insane? Unless you had the strong evidence.
      Maybe UK Samsung have better responsibility than SG.
      Anyway, I had been charge for my 13 months old SDS phone and get back a fresh memory phone with sane chip.
      Back up your data b4 too late like me.

Reply Comment by Gym Low — January 12, 2014 @ 5:35 am

35. I am a victim of SDS as well of my note 2. Its been used over 1 year and 4 months and died last week.

I purchased it locally in Kuwait with one year warranty.

Do you think that It can be covered under samsungs 2 year warranty or is it for Europe/UK customers only.

Reply Comment by Asif — January 7, 2014 @ 7:19 pm

36. Hi Asif i think it is uk & eur only but why dont you phone samsung and ask them if you are covered by
    The two year warrenty .
    Best of luck Alan Goodman.

Reply Comment by alan goodman — January 7, 2014 @ 7:49 pm

37. Does samsung give 2 year warranty for pakistan?

Reply Comment by Aemin Waqar — January 9, 2014 @ 1:10 pm

38. Hi! I have the same problem. My cellphone is death, I wish to know where I can repair my cellphone? Thanks

Reply Comment by harvison — January 14, 2014 @ 9:29 am

39. Hi Harvison you never said were you live in the uk we have two years warrenty on the note 2, but i
    Understand Samsung are not giving two years to all countrys i read today in America a guy bought
    A galaxy note 2 from a shop selling international note 2 phones it has a lnsane chip but Samsung
    Told him the phone has no warrenty because it was not made for the American market he was told
    To go back to the shop were he bought it from and get them to repair it it seems Samsung make up
    There own Rules,so all i can tell you get intouch with Samsung and see what they say to you i wish
    You luck and i hope you get your phone repaired by Samsung under the warrenty best of luck.

Regards Alan Goodman.

Reply Comment by alan goodman — January 14, 2014 @ 11:04 am

40. Hi Roy

last night i got a message on my mobile but when i tried to check there was nothing to display..the screen was totaly grey with lines. I rebooted the device but still the same. Kindly help me out ASAP

Reply Comment by Ali — January 17, 2014 @ 7:04 pm

• I’m afraid you’ll have to contact Samsung for service.

Reply Comment by Roy — January 19, 2014 @ 9:48 am

41. The device is NOTE II 7105

Reply Comment by Ali — January 17, 2014 @ 7:05 pm

42. Hi Roy just got my phone back from Samsung told me it had been repaired, when i
    Used the emmc app i still have a insane chip so much for Samsung Rubbish, i will
    Use my phone till it crashes i will throw it in the bin and buy a decent phone like the
    LG G2 no more Samsung phones for me.
    Regards alan goodman.

Reply Comment by alan goodman — January 22, 2014 @ 6:59 pm

I bought TWO Note II and both experienced the “Sudden Death”. One on February 07th and the other one today February 25th 2014. Both phones are less than 14 months old. After this experience, I don’t recommend anyone buying SAMSUNG products. The worst part is that when contacting SAMSUNG, their reaction was that they have no records of incidents like this.

Thanks
    Roberto

Reply Comment by Roberto — February 25, 2014 @ 9:25 pm

44. I also had two Note II’s (Purchased new). One died after 7 months and the other after 13 months. Samsung Canada refused to honor the warranty on the 7 month saying that the phone had been rooted. Both were completely hard bricked (Would not even enter boot mode). No lights visible.

The solution from Samsung was a $400 dollar board replacement @ cost to me (Which I did not pay, that is the cost of the phone more or less). I did not root my phones so I was really unhappy to hear that (They really don’t support their products). I sent them multiple links regarding SDS and they said that they have never head of it. All I can say is good job Samsung you will pocket your $ now, but multiply that by a lifetime of me and others like me not buying “ANY” of your products.

Good job.
    Lewis

Reply Comment by Lewis — March 8, 2014 @ 5:36 pm

45. Just to let you know know my note2 has gone,andi have bought myself a LG G2 i have had enough
    Of Samsung i will buy no more,there awnser to SDS it does not exsist they no nothing abought it
    Just an exscuse not to replace the motherboard ,i will buy no more Samsungs.
    Alan Goodman.

Reply Comment by Alan Goodman — March 13, 2014 @ 3:13 pm

46. At Verizon store for 3Rd return of a Note 2. They keep sending me replacement phones with same problem.

Reply Comment by Russell — March 28, 2014 @ 6:37 pm

47. i bought by note 2 in december 2012. so after a year plus it started freezing occassionally and i often had to take the battery off. i thought this was normal because i thought the phone was lagging due to the huge amount of stuff i had in my phone. so yesterday it was freezing again and i had to take the battery off and when i switched it on there was a sign smth like this “upgrade faced an issue..please download kies”. but I COULD NOT press a single thing on the screen!! and suddenly the sign disappeared and all there was in the screen were grey and white horizontal lines :( i just knew this is caused by SDS.. what should i do?? my note 2 warranty is over :’(

Reply Comment by meow — April 3, 2014 @ 2:32 pm

48. My note2 is a year old now..a year just crossed 10 days back..
    Same problem, switches off, i need to take off the battery , plug it back in to restart my phone..
    Will approach samsung service centre today

Reply Comment by Navin — April 4, 2014 @ 9:40 am

49. I have the same issue with my Note 2. How much did it cost you for samsung to repair it?

Reply Comment by John J. — April 8, 2014 @ 6:04 pm

• Mine was fixed for free under warranty.

Reply Comment by Roy — April 9, 2014 @ 10:13 pm

50. Hello
    I had a few problems with my s3
    I throught a had sudden death
    but when I formatted the phone seems to be fine
    Not sure if I understand whats going on .
    I’ve looked at what chip ive got and it reads
    no insane chip
    type vtuoom
    rev oxfi .

Has anyone got any ideas

Reply Comment by bringtrooper666 — April 14, 2014 @ 8:57 am