Erratic behavior with Flash’s textWidth property

Just a quick post in case anyone else ever runs into this and manages to find their way to my blog.

I just came across this in a client project I’m working on. I was using a TextField in Flash CS5, and needed to know the width of the actual text inside it for positioning purposes. What I found was that in about 50% of cases, the textWidth property would return zero instead of the strings length in pixels. I tried using autoSize on the TextField and found that it would shorten half of its instances to a single character or less, causing the rest of the line to be invisible.

At first I thought there was something wrong with the font file, but the same happened with Verdana. So I started randomly changing settings, and it turns out that the “anti-alias for readability” setting was causing this. As soon as I changed that setting to “anti-alias for readability” the textfields were being autosized properly, and reported their actual lengths through the textWidth property.
More Erratic behavior with Flash’s textWidth property

Roy | November 25, 2010 | English,Flash,Programming | Comments (10)
Tags: , , ,

I could just hug Karmic Koala!

koala babyYesterday, one week to the day after the release of Windows 7, Ubuntu released version 9.10 of their Linux distribution. It’s got all sorts of new features that have been talked about extensively all over the web, but I just found out it also fixes a bug that’s been bothering me ever since I first got into Ubuntu. Under ‘Karmic Koala’, the video tearing on Intel graphics adapters is finally gone.

Intel’s integrated video adapters have long been recommended for Ubuntu users with modest graphical needs. If you’re not into games and don’t need the absolute best possible video playback, going with an onboard video adapter from Intel was a safe bet. I have two machines that use Intel’s GMA 950 chip, and I found them to work quite well, except for this one issue.
More I could just hug Karmic Koala!

Tell Chrome who you are!

Google ChromeOne of the first things I noticed when I started using my new router, was that I could not log in to the device’s web interface using Chrome as a browser. Like many other routers (I’ve had at least two, including a Linksys one), my new Draytek doesn’t really use the username field, and the manual advices to leave it empty. But it seems that’s exactly why Chrome is having trouble. When I tried ‘admin’ instead, I was able to log in.

So, if you’re having trouble logging in to configure your router, try using a generic name like ‘admin’, ‘user’ or ‘root’, or see if the manual lists a default username. Not because your router needs you to enter it, but because leaving the username field empty seems to upset Chrome. This issue probably isn’t exclusive to routers, but most other services will require a username anyway.

Another quick WP-Cumulus update

Several users have contacted me about the same issue with WP-Cumulus this week. On non-English (and mostly European) language blogs some of the tags would display either very small or humongously big. This turned out to be caused by internationalization of numbers in the inline style sheets in WordPress’ tag cloud. I have no idea why this only popped up now, but the Flash movie wasn’t built to handle 9,55pt tags (instead of 9.55pt).

Version 1.17 fixes this issue, and adds a highlight color setting.

Oh, and Ryan Tomlinson has ported WP-Cumulus to BlogEngine.NET. More about his project here.

WP-Cumulus 1.16: A quick fix…

Yesterday’s 1.15 version of WP-Cumulus caused a serious issue for some users. If the plugin was set to display categories, and all of them contained the same number of posts, the color assignment algorithm would fail and tags would turn black. I was able to quickly fix this and while doing so I also decided to try and lower CPU usage.
More WP-Cumulus 1.16: A quick fix…

Roy | October 31, 2008 | English,WordPress plugins | Comments (13)
Tags: , , ,

Weird Firefox font render bug

Firefox font render bug

A colleague of mine was checking Dutch user interface design website ddux.org when this strange bug happened. In every title in on the page, the all ‘t’s were dropped to the next line. It was gone after a simple refresh of the page, but it was fun while it lasted. I didn’t know how to make Archie better until I read about “Informaion Archiecure (ttt)”. :)

Roy | July 31, 2007 | English,Internet | Comments Off
Tags: ,